It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D&D Minis! Gelatinous Cube! PIC HVY!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
As the form emerged from the fetid ponds of the dungeon, our heroes braced themselves for the jiggling giant, gripping their weapons tighter this time...
If you have no clue what this is: Gelatinous Cube stuff

As you may know the official versions of this common foe could run you upwards of $50 - $100, frack that, I’ll make my own thank you very much.
Lets get started!
TheDMsCraft on YouTube was the main inspiration, with my own twist to the classic dungeon crawler we all know and lothe! I used CD cases for the main structure. Just score the grid with a utility knife and remove excess...
Grid! I made it 2" x 2" for an in-game 10' cube....careful with your knife!
Almost there! Get that hot glue gun out and take your time holding them in place.
The dwarf slowly lost all his saves for the sake of scale in this pic.
Assembled! It was imperative that it could in case 10'x10' on the grid... it's a gelatinous cube!!! Now on to the texturing with more hot glue!
Just big circles, check out TheDMsCraft on YouTube for the original inspiration.
Boom! Done! You can buy clearer glue or even wash some thinned paint over if for a sickening tint! At the dollar store I found one type of hot glue....
Glow in the dark hot glue!!!

I hope you enjoyed! Check out some of my other projects if youre into that kind of thing... or not! Just click them all please LOL
imgur.com... Heroforge halfling low detail plastic Paint Report
imgur.com... Heroforge Ranger high detail plastic Paint Report
imgur.com... Tower build and paint report
imgur.com... Boats build and paint report
imgur.com... Skeletons paint report
imgur.com... Trees from coffee grounds build and paint report
imgur.com... Golems stained glass build and paint report

edit on 262017 by Butterfinger because: formatting

edit on 262017 by Butterfinger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger
Nothing but praise. Excellent cube. Great ranger and the glass golem, very cool idea. Good job with these.

I have a slightly comedic cube story. I was running a game once, 2nd Edition Player's Option, the party rounds a corner to find a gelatinous cube fully blocking a corridor. It was just sitting there, being gelatinous. The party, bless them, had decided recently to work on not using player-knowledge... So the cleric puts a coin against the cube and marvels as it gets sucked in. This was followed by a torch and again there was amazement. They needed past the cube and the cleric was chosen as a guinea pig. Someone used a scroll of water breathing on him and he willingly stepped into the cube.

Yeah. Something like 20 years later I'm still amazed at some of the ridiculous things those players pulled off...
edit on 6-2-2017 by Noncents because: Added a missing letter

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Nice,

Just a couple of days ago i was thinking, that i want to make a 75mm scale cube diorama with a skeleton inside, and maybe a fleshy hand coming out of it, and a barbarian that has gotten his sword stuck in the cube..

But the hollow cube is very practical for gaming..

If one wishes, one could add a drop of paint in gloss varnish to give it some blue or green.. -edit- just noticed you mentioned the paint.
edit on 6-2-2017 by solve because: (no reason given)

Oh, i am going to use that stryro/coffee canopy idea, very simple and effective! Thanks!
edit on 6-2-2017 by solve because: Trees! Trees everywhere!

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Hahahahaha!

Too cool!

Me and my family play with friends about once a week still. Love those nights.

Our DM has his walls covered with figures that we use, but I don't think he has a Cube like that! I'm going to show him your pictures!

Thanks for sharing, applause from me!

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

Thats funny! The thing with cubes is just that, they sit there just all gelatinous until you mess with it!

I lost my first 5th lvl 2nd edition mage(read; finally, fireballs!) to a cube behind me while battling one across the room from the party.

This construction is my coming to terms with that and letting it go...

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: solve

Thinking about making anther colored one with chunks of bone and armor in it, more translucent especially!

This was surprisingly easy and fast to make, give it a shot!

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Nice! I play with some guys from work, but recently got my 12 yr daughter and 8 yr son into it. We run quick scenarios with simplified rules with batches of new DIY stuff occasionally.

Great test audience!

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
What an excellently written post!
I play D&D to this day and it would be an honor to have someone with your caliber of imagination in the mix. We do alright, don't get me wrong! It's just great to see your exuberance for the game shine through in your post.

And very well done on the cube! My friends paint minis so I realize how difficult it can be. The cube just would be so fun to throw onto the table!

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Excellent! Very nice.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This is really cool. I just played my first D&D game last night. It was online, through an excellent program and the DM helped those of us who were new figure the basics out beforehand. I'm told it's much more satisfying in some cases to play in person, and this looks really cool!

Nice job!

-Alee

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Roll20?

Ive been debating on joining a remote session, until a few reviews on Imgur I expected chatroulette rather than gaming!

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Yes Roll20! Our DM was able to design a village, the insides of the buildings, drop NPCS, we can move our characters around. I don't have my own dice yet and you can roll dice through that, so I found it useful, Character sheets are nice, he can play music for us and we have visuals of enemies etc.... The actual gameplay might depend on the DM and the group but if it's good it's good man! And I'm this stoked off a first session. We use DISCORD for voice chat, but he's the one who suggested I try an in person game with our friends sometime. I've looked into some of the other pics, and it looks like a rewarding effort! I might make some of those things as cubicle decorations in the mean time, who knows!

-Alee
edit on 2/6/2017 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Holy Dovahkiin!

From one hobbyist to another, did you know, that you can buy a skeletal dragon kit from Bethesda for 30 bucks?

Imagine the conversion or terrain possibilities... drool.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: solve

I will check into that!

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
That tower is awesome! I love how you handled that seam....

For the Glass Golems, they actually make glass paint, that works good on plastic as well, really gives the look you're going for....but man, nice idea.

join