It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Plane crash in Iraq (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
At 1425 GMT today an RAF C-130 Hercules transport aircraft crashed 25 miles northwest of Baghdad. The cause of the crash and casualty numbers are currently unknown. The Ministry Of Defence has confirmed the crash, but has not released any other information.

news.bbc.co.uk
There was no immediate word on casualties, but the RAF plane's wreckage was scattered over a large area, according to reports.

The C-130 Hercules, en route from Baghdad to the city of Balad, crashed about 40 kilometres (25 miles) north west of Baghdad, say US officials.

The incident was reported at 1725 local time (1425 GMT

The official MOD statement can be read on their website :Here

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is very sad new on such a great day in the history of Iraq. The RAF is a very capable air force, so pilot error is unlikely to be a contributing factor in the crash. It may have been terrorists using an infantry launched anti aircraft missile.
Whatever the cause, any casualties made a great sacrifice in securing the Freedom of the nation of Iraq,as did those in wednesdays helicopter crash.

[edit on 30/1/05 by minimi]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
My Uncle is the Wing Commander in charge of the UK Hercy bird fleet, I hope he wasn't on this and the crew is alright, as I am sure he will be affected by this.

Lets also hope it wasn't carrying troops, as those birds can carry 300 men.....

I will be watching with interest...

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I so dearly hope that there isnt too many casualties as past statements have said that as many as 50 people were on the bird when it went down.

join