It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

68 years on, Orwell's novel 1984 is a bestseller again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Jan. 31, 2017: Heads up, Library staffers, members of Library Friends groups, and anyone with a library card -- on Friday, January 27th, the NYTimes had an article about the new popularity of the classic (and often banned) novel 1984 ... well and good, but they neglected to mention that a) 1984 has just hit some US bestseller lists 68 years after its first publication (per Wolf Blitzer, breaking news reporter at the CNN cable TV channel), and b) Penguin, its publisher, says it cannot keep up with the recent huge increase in demand for the printed edition of 1984. One very accessible and free solution is to disseminate the following link ASAP, please. (It could -- and should -- be posted on US library websites right away.)

www.george-orwell.org...

Unlike many full text writings, this edition of 1984 is readable both directly on the above website and also as a download. There is no reader cost either way, assuming folks have internet access either at libraries, at home, or somewhere else. The "download," therefore, is not required, it's just an alternative reading option.

ASAP, please ask your library (and any other site even vaguely reading-related) to place the above link on their library website. Thank you, Obi-Wans.
edit on 1/31/2017 by Uphill because: corrected a word.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
What's old is new again.

I'm more shocked people now days still read books.

And that's' cool.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Let's just hope it's not too little, too late...

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Great book! Except it's based on a communist type government. It needs to be updated for capitalistic oligarchy type government.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Uphill

If Donald Trump keeps his promise to cure diseases, that will be ONE LESS aspect of 1984. Medical disease is a means of mass control of the people. Everything is a scam, stated best by Ice Cube - who voted for Donald Trump. He just promised on his FB page that he is committed to curing disease that is destroying America. I paraphrased, but it is true! He intends to keep his promise to America to Make America Great Again. One of the main aspects of that is to Make America Healthy Again (instead of 40th in the world!) and cure the disease problems. I believe he will keep his promise, given the opportunity. God bless him and protect him!

Real rap music - Ice Cube - Everything Is A Scam - Ice Cube voted for the President. I agree with Ice Cube. Let Us Make America Great Again!

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Hopefully all the left wingers reading realize what they have become.

originally posted by: dfnj2015
Great book! Except it's based on a communist type government. It needs to be updated for capitalistic oligarchy type government.

Have you noticed how the left, especially in Academia, is fulling his prediction?
edit on 31-1-2017 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Good for Mr. Orwell. F$*#&)#(*$)(#* for all of us.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
Hopefully all the left wingers reading realize what they have become.

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Have you noticed how the left, especially in Academia, is fulling his prediction?

The right is just as bad as the left. Hunger Games is a pretty popular set of movies.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:05 AM
link   
68 years later, and people are still fascinated with their own slavery.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I noticed the other week there was an article on the radio (one of the BBC stations) talking about this trending interest in 1984 ( a book I read as part of my English studies in school and have been telling people about it since I started seeing aspects of it coming true). I couldn't fail to notice how they were going on about the oppression and government manipulatin and control from the story and then repeatedly pointing out things about Trump or just bringing his name into the conversation. I saw this as blatant vilifying and demonising of Trump, since nothing was mentioned about previous presidents when it came to the multitude of cameras, voice recognition programmes, facial and iris recognition programmes, tracking and listening devices (mobile phones! e.g.) and police and authority overreach which has developed over the last 20 years or so. It was truly a shameful hit piece, but done in a more subtle associative NLP way. I can not hope the new interest is actually true and that it wakes up the masses to seeing the lies, manipulation and control that has been taking place for many years before Trump was even thinking about a political career.

edit on 1-2-2017 by CthulhuMythos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Uphill

You might find this interesting: What really happened in Room 101?

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Cool, I have the paperback. You know the one. It has stayed in my small but growing book collection.
Its good to see Orwell's premonitions are continue to hold water as the next generation literally sees it fulfill itself during their time. From the mass surveillance to the trans continental geo-political hot spots and flash points, even the alliances and the double speak are just manifesting right before our very eyes. Honestly, it is no surprise this would become a top choice for reading today.

Let us hope the future leader that can help us fix it is going to read it and understand it today.

new topics

top topics

join