It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically Modified Cells Just Cured Two Babies of Leukemia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Doctors at London’s Great Ormond Street Hospital recently announced that they successfully cured two babies of leukemia, when their previous treatments failed. This was also the first attempt in the world to treat cancer with genetically engineered immune cells provided by a donor. This case is published in the journal Science Translational Medicine.

This could be the real first step to curing cancer.

i don't know though, I'm not a doctor.

Genetic engineering is going to make for an interesting time in history.

GENETICALLY ENGINEERED LINK

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Sounds promising.
I'm not a fan of Genetic Engineering though so I prefer not to click that link.
Do you have an Organic Link by chance?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Do GMO babies come with a warning label? What if they want to have kids 30 years from now.. how will the potential other partner know whether or not they are sleeping with a GMO or not? Or is this not a concern?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, it's a legitimate question. I know we are specifically talking about genetically modified immune cells, but technically that makes the whole baby a GMO, doesn't it?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

You love who you love, and the heart wants what it wants.

You wouldn't kick (name of famous sex symbol) out of bed because you found out about it.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit

I'm not a fan of Genetic Engineering though so I prefer not to click that link.

I'd be vastly more concerned about receiving donor blood for any reason than I would be to to get some (semi)singular lab grade immune cells while facing down cancer death.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:05 AM
link   

I used to be very anti-GMO until I learned that:

1) There's a lot of (I hate to slam my own) left of center BS about the science (I still get to hate Monsanto).

2) There's a lot more to GMOs than food. Such as this.

I have Small Cell Lung Cancer, I'm interested in all aspects of upcoming science dealing with treatment of cancers. I'm not familiar with the publication but I see my Oncologist next week and if I remember (chemo brain and severe bout of insomnia), I'll ask him about it.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

You love who you love, and the heart wants what it wants.

You wouldn't kick (name of famous sex symbol) out of bed because you found out about it.

You are right, but I might still look into getting an egg/sperm donor if I were concerned about the GMO thing

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 04:24 AM
link   

GMO babies will be the first homemade human hybrids. ET will be so proud.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

It's all a part of the cycle.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy

originally posted by: Trueman

It's all a part of the cycle.

Yeah, you know I eat mostly organic but I got old and would like to get GMOed to fix this old body.

I think I just coined the word "GMOed".

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   

FamCore, the babies are not GMO. They were not born from an artificial womb, and grown in a soup of synthetic growth hormone and nutrient paste.

Their lives were saved, presumably by way of having universally adaptable, genetically engineered T-cells dripped into their tiny, natural bodies, by way of an IV. There is a MASSIVE difference.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

TrueBrit - thank you for clarifying that for me, especially in an articulate manner. What an innovative process. What incredible strides we are taking in medical advances.. all the meanwhile we continue to strip our planet of precious resources and send young men and women to die on the battlefield for the benefits of a select few. (sorry, went off on a tangent a bit, but still all relevant points I feel)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I think that is one of the most concerning aspects of scientific advancement, and I say that as a person who supports scientific methodology, the advancement of technology, and whose greatest hope is for a species which spans the solar system, not just this one, fragile world.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

FamCore, the babies are not GMO. They were not born from an artificial womb, and grown in a soup of synthetic growth hormone and nutrient paste.

Their lives were saved, presumably by way of having universally adaptable, genetically engineered T-cells dripped into their tiny, natural bodies, by way of an IV. There is a MASSIVE difference.

Yeah!

They were "Roundupped"...

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

Doctors at London’s Great Ormond Street Hospital recently announced that they successfully cured two babies of leukemia, when their previous treatments failed. This was also the first attempt in the world to treat cancer with genetically engineered immune cells provided by a donor. This case is published in the journal Science Translational Medicine.

This could be the real first step to curing cancer.

i don't know though, I'm not a doctor.

Genetic engineering is going to make for an interesting time in history.

GENETICALLY ENGINEERED LINK

This sounds so promising, but on the other hand there's something about this that gives the feeling of being denied baths for months, then told showers were finally available, with a few clean people in the same boat as everyone else coming back to camp with smiles, making others yearn for their turn, then led to the showers, standing there naked with soap and towel, feeling both relieved and excited, anticipating nice hot water to bath in to come out of the shower heads, but instead of nice hot water flowing out, it's gas.

This is BS how they are doing this. It's their fault so many have all these diseases in the first place because it was slowly injected during the industrial revolution into society. Who ever "they" are. We used to read about so many who were abducted by ET's, not so much anymore. Why? Because they don't have to take anyone "up" anymore. People go willingly and will come in droves soon. For all we know some of these labs and hospitals are capable of taking flight. Are spaceships.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
It's amazing that it was done and am happy the babies are cured.

BUTT... (_I_)

Isn't cancer a mutation of cells?

Genetic Engineering and cell mutation seems like the samething as allowing A.I. on the internet unregulated, maybe something won't go wrong the 1st few times or even hundred. But it will only take that one for it to grow out of hand and become a full fledged uncontrollable issue.

Also, this is akin to finding a solution for diabetes and not focusing on removing the insane amounts of sugar in foods and crap foods that are basically poison that is allowed to be sold for a profit, while keeping weed illegal.

We have freedoms to do as we want, but people are making money hand over fist giving us these illnesses and dieases in the 1st damn place!

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

That sounds good, but the human body always find a way to fight what it doesn't belong to it, to begin with.

I never really understood the science behind big pharma about one size fit all.

I hope for the sake of the babies and their families that this cure will be successful and they will grow into healthy adults.

But as with everything man made we can only wait and see the results of this new way of "practicing medicine" using donor cells engineer to fix all, specially something as infant leukemia.

Actually Infant leukemia is easier to treat than adult leukemia.

top topics

join