It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Attorney General Pick Says Congress Needs To Legalize Cannabis

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden
a reply to: dreamingawake

If this is true, there will be many Trump haters turned Trump lovers.

I don't know about lovers. But if he legalizes marijuana, I might be willing to sleep in the same room as him.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I've always wondered where in the Constitution it gives the federal government the right to regulate what plants may be grown? This is a State's rights issue not a federal issue. If this administration intends to enforce Federal marijuana laws it's just another case of wiping their butt with our Constitution

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

A lot of people say the government will never legalize "pot" because they can not tax it. I would suggest that it is not necessary to tax something in order to regulate it's usage.

Why not allow each state to issue, or sell, permits which would allow a person to grow and use a certain number of plants during a given period of time. ie- a $50 permit would let me raise and use two plants during one year. This would likely give me all the pot I would want for my own use for that period of time. All other laws would still apply if I were caught trying to transport and/or sell any of my pot. It would also be illegal for me to drive or work while under it's influence. The revenue from these permits would be distributed in proportion to the city or county were the permit was issued, to the state and to the federal government.
Another benefit from this would be to deny this revenue stream from those who would be engaged in selling drugs. It should also lessen the need for a lot of people to steal in order to buy drugs; at least pot.

I am not saying this would "fix" any problems. It is just suggested as a means to free up both the desire for many people to enjoy something for their own recreational usage and the resources now being expended on chasing done these same people as criminals.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
That's what we've been saying, yes!

Time to go get this money.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

In your video, the chairman's name is Grassley.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Alright, which is it?

Is he saying congress needs to legalise it, or is he saying that he is against it?

Pick one, stick with it, because this thread has some very mixed messages in it.

Neither. He is saying as AG it will be his job to enforce the law. Not to pick and choose which laws to enforce. If congress maintains MJ is illegal, he will enforce it. If congress decides it is legal, he will abide by it even if he disagrees.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

Over weed?

Yeah sure cuz ya know light up and veg.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Wouldn't the DEA need to reschedule it first?

It's still Schedule 1 currently, despite the documented medical uses it has displayed.

That's the first hurdle to nation-wide legalization as far as I can determine.

Who is his DEA pick and what is their stance?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It's about damn time someone spoke up about reversing it.

Hemp/MJ will be the reason America rids themselves of their Tillion Dollar Debt.

Trump is smart, he knows this is an excellent plan. I would create massive amounts of jobs in the clothing industry, medical industry, and other various industries.

Hemp is the wave of the future (once again) and a Population of very happy People.

a Happy Society = Less Crime. And less is more.
edit on 27-1-2017 by JesusXst because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Law Offices of Alan Brown

When Does Marijuana Possession Become a Federal Offense?

Federal law prohibits using, buying, selling, possession or cultivation of marijuana. This is true regardless of the quantity. Even in states where marijuana has been decriminalized, federal law still prohibits any and all manufacture, possession, distribution or use.

That's what I thought. They choose or have chosen not to enforce, but they can.

Aside from the commerce clause, exactly how far does federal jurisdiction extend?
Implied consent is the name of the game.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I fall on Trumps side of this and leave it up to the individual states.

Distribution by adults is the only problem. High school kids and young college. Kids will be kids.

Jail terms should be eliminated for unless deaths are involved.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
a reply to: JinMI

And therefore the Federal Authorities need to repeal their draconian laws so that the individual states can pass their own restrictions.

P

Sorry but your body your rules. An innocent individual within their private property should be left to do as they please with any nonsentient thing they own. This is a violation of basic human rights, and no one should be allowed to restrict what people do or possess regards nonsentient property(barring it were an unstoppable threat to society itself, like say wmds like nukes).

A state should no more have the power to restrict possession of say drugs, or any nonsentient property, than it should have the power to institute laws allowing for rape or slavery.
edit on 28-1-2017 by Xenogears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Alright, which is it?

Is he saying congress needs to legalise it, or is he saying that he is against it?

Pick one, stick with it, because this thread has some very mixed messages in it.

Glad someone besides me does't get it either. Sure as hell sounds like he is old school reefer madness to me.

Denny

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I'd like to post a link to what I consider valuable information.

Cannabis is the most commonly abused drug in the United States. Since 2008, Cannabis use has significantly increased,1 in part because of legalization for medicinal and recreational use. Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS) is characterized by years of daily Cannabis use, recurrent nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain, compulsive bathing for symptom relief, and symptom resolution with cessation of use.

Prompt recognition of CHS can reduce costs associated with unnecessary workups, emergency department (ED) and urgent care visits, and hospital admissions.2,3 This article provides a review of CHS with discussion of diagnostic and management considerations.

Bananas and pancakes may help stave off symptoms if you ain't going to the doctor's office over heart-burn symptoms, like me.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Ugh Jeff sessions...you need to stop this war on Drugs. All it does is feed the black market. There are other reasons why Mj was legalized in colorado.

Simply put: The Government has no right to say what I can or cannot put inside my own body. In that only God can Judge me.

I said in another thread the following:

All he needs to do is officially legalize certain drugs that should NOT have been schedule 1 in the first place or end the war on drugs period.

This will cut fundings to the cartel/Gangs as well as break their monopoly. Organized crime is very similar to small buisnesses, and he should know that the best way to counter them is by cutting off their prime source for money. Starve the gang members in other words, similar to sanctions.

There are many ways to combat criminals effectively and that is by ending their buisnesses. This has been debated for many years, and it will drop the crime rate in those cities.

If Cannabis (for example) was fully legalized in both Detroit AND Chicago the crime rate will drop and people will have legal jobs instead of relying on unlawful ways to earn a living. (the two major cities have been effected by those crime waves, poverty as well as being effected by Gun free zones; which disallows citizens the right to defend themselves. (another reason why the crime rate is so high)This too also needs to be reworked and perhaps the two cities will be prosperous once more.

Edit: another plus side on legalizing Cannabis is that it will also reduce the support the left currently has since after all, Cannabis advocates would praise Trump for being the first president to legalize it since it became illegal in the 1930's through reefer madness propaganda. It is a win win if Trump pulls through on this.

I like Jeff sessions but that video shows he is too Old School, and he needs to re-evaluate his position. The fact is; 60% + of americans now use cannabis, and now Cali Washington and colorado have legalized it. It is too late, people already use it for many reasons including medical.

Trump would be wise to legalize it if he wants to win liberals to his side and ignore Sessions stance on the issue.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Figured to add here instead of making a thread:
Congress' new Cannabis Caucus isn't just blowing smoke about legalizing pot

Oh?
The four brought this caucus just one week after Jeff Sessions was confirmed in hopes to "keep Sessions in line".

The Cannabis Caucus

Four lawmakers representing states that have legalized weed have launched the first ever Congressional Cannabis Caucus. Jared Polis (D-Colorado), Dana Rohorabacher (R-California), Earl Blumenauer (D-Oregon) and Don Young (R-Alaska) say they want to work together on legislation related to the legalization and regulation of marijuana.

-Source

Here's the caucus plans as described in the OP and my take on them:
ºNew laws to help cannabis research happen: Fair studies, ie not paid for by lobbyist with agenda pushing sides, need to happen.
ºAn increase in access for medicinal marijuana veteran patients: Sorely needed throughout states where medicinal use is restricted. Should be addressed as well as with children and others who need the help.
ºReform tax and banking laws: Would see that as making the industry more legit, have more access to services that are now restricted.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

It's not entirely States rights when it comes to selling it in significant amounts, which I believe takes it into the Federal realm.

Exactly.
But, of course, this is something government has known since day one and if the prison industry were to lose all their pot prisoners... they'd pitch a fit. Millions of Americans are in jail for this substance and millions of dollars go to prisons that house them.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
a reply to: JinMI

And therefore the Federal Authorities need to repeal their draconian laws so that the individual states can pass their own restrictions.

P

I wholeheartedly agree.

Bigger question, why the sudden change of heart from Sessions?

www.politico.com...

It is a long read but some decent info.

As a Trump supporter. I filled out some Trump survey's and suggested legalizing Cannabis. Lot's of people probably did the same. Trump listens to logic.

Cannabis probably prevents and cures cancer and other diseases. Grown and used for at least 5000 years. Way less dangerous than alcohol.

Growing it in a tent right now. I want it totally legal so I can smoke it occasionally without worry of losing my job.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Wasn't he against maryjane? He must have seen the dollar signs by making it federally legal. I fall on Trumps side of this and leave it up to the individual states.

Yes he is against it, and he knows congress is not going to change the law.

He is shifting blame for when he starts to prosecute towards congress.

Personally I wish it would just be legalized and taxed, but it is not going to happen with the Trump administration.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

I think we have a better chance with Trump of getting it done. Sessions has been talked to by the Trump administration obviously. Most of the country is in favor of legalization. We will see.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join