It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leftiwingers, Rightwingers, Please indulge me in a small experiment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This is an experiment intended to involve only people who feel that they somehow fall into the Left/Right paradigm.

First let me say that I don't really give two hoots about the political leanings of anyone on this forum, if a person has made it to this website then I'm sure that we have more in common than not.

Now, I want you to explain to me what your political alignment means to you, your family, your life, the universe and everything.

I want you to do this without mentioning any names at all
without declaring or suggesting your own Left/Right leaning
without any mention or reference to the Left/Right opposition or their views

and I want you to do this without saying ANYTHING NEGATIVE.

(I'm sure that you can see what hippy dippy thing I'm going for here, but please, indulge me)

Thanks for participating.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody

To me, it means being honest.

To my family, it means being stubborn.

To the world, it means breaking the ice is too easy.

To the universe, it means a weak force acting on a little blue gem in an ocean of darkness.

To my life, it means losing it, if necessary.
edit on 1/23/2017 by TarzanBeta because: Eta

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Constitution upheld. Live and let live mentality. Succeed or fail on your own merits. Smaller government. Free discussion. No nanny state.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I am more Left, i only say that bc there are only 2 parties in the US (I wish there were more). I can honestly say that the democratic party is for equality, for women, for gays, for trans, for blacks, for muslims. This is important bc my Buddhist studies align with the left ideas bc I truly believe we are all equal. Art and music are also very important to me. It is important to everyone, even if you do not partake in any of it, its still around you. To have this taken out of public schools should not be a thought. Another important issue is the environment. Wind and solar power should be taken seriously. The Earth is alive and too many people are not aware that she is suffering and do not recycle. We need to do what we can to eliminate our carbon footprint and move to better forms of energy for our planet. Gov't money spent on this issue is very well spent.

To give to others and the environment is to give to the universe which is some peoples "God".
edit on 23-1-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Sure, I'l play;

I believe a government should be ruled by the people FOR the people. The ones that were born and raised in that land always take first precedence. Immigration is welcome, but policies need to ensure that the people already living there are not disadvantaged nor put in danger. As such I believe that nations should be free to pick and choose who they let migrate in ie birds of a feather flock together.

I believe that everyone regardless of race / religion / sexuality / gender identity is equal before the state and there should be no discrimination as such. But if any one of those categories starts to cause issues then the state can and should react. True equality does not mean special treatment, or protectionism. It just means access to the same basic human rights as every other citizen without bias.

I believe that foreign trade should be limited. Raw materials, food and goods that simply cannot be made in a nation are the only thing that should be traded internationally. If a foreign firm wants to do business, fantastic. Build a factory in the country they want to do business in and employ the locals for the goods to be sold locally.

I believe that no nation has the right to interfere with another's internal affairs. If a nation is in distress, the only time outsiders should get involved is when the recognised government of that land calls for help. And all help should be on their terms, not ours.

I believe that foreign investment in housing should be banned. Houses are not monopoly pieces. Shelter is a basic human need and therefore prices need to be kept at an affordable level for the average person. Investment for profit (as in buying up large swathes of houses and keeping them empty to create a shortage in the market thereby forcing prices up) in housing is morally bankrupt. I take no issue with local people buying properties and renting them out though, the market needs both rental and freehold options available to citizens.

edit on 23-1-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I have no political allegiance to the left or the right. Democrats and Republicans, for the most part, are all bought and paid for who don't give a damn about the American people and only care about what their wealthy donors tell them to care about.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
it doesn`t mean much to me, if my guy loses, oh well maybe next time, and my life goes on.

I won`t die for issues related to my political alignment, I won`t even protest for issues related to my political alignment.

It doesn`t have a significant impact on my day to day life.

I can adapt equally well no matter who is in power and calling the shots.

edit on 23-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
To me it means doing whats right.
For my family it is an outside or different perspective.
The only real tangible effect it has on my life is who I associate with... and sometimes who I sleep with.

The universe cares not for what happens on this rock.

(I'm sure that you can see what hippy dippy thing I'm going for here, but please, indulge me)

I do and it was a pleasure.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

here's what I want the way you phrazed it is too hard for me to answer so I hope this is ok.

I want a world based on capitalism with social saftey nets. One where in general you don't get to tell me what to do. I want people to love each other. I like national boundries until we reach a greater point of love and understanding throughout the world. A naturally evoilved world government may make all the sense in the world 100 or 200 years down the line, but not being forced on me by vampires sucking the life blood out of every country on this planet.

I want to find ways of quickly moving into solar power. Very much like what elon musk is doing.. We need solar powered solar panel plants.. It goes a long way, obviously oil will still be used for plastic and getting the raw materials, but every factory should have solar panels on top, where the sun is out at high percentages.

I want to see corporations hands out of government money wise. They can have free speech with their words.

I want to see science be allowed to take off, where it is being held back.

but mostly I just want to love everybody, but I know I can't hug a dragon and expect to live. that pretty much sums it up right there.

the golden rule.. If I am down on my luck I don't think I should starve to death or not have medical care.. So when I have money I am ok paying money for other people down on their luck. But trading goods making our own companies and things like this is the forefront of cultural evolution and that's what I love the most about where I live.
edit on 23-1-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I start from logic. Then I am a very thoughtful and caring person. I can see outside the box.

I don't want anyone to be offended or meant to feel different or small based on what life has dealt them.

I feel the government has a good amount of responsibility for us as they take so much from US, as a whole.

I understand that not all people think as I do. If, for example, I am in the middle of thinking, the people far to the sides (excluding violent criminal activity or theft for pure gain-I reserve the right to add more), are probably as right as I am, it depends on level of comfort, moral ideals and religion existent or nonexistent.

I agree, to some point with, 'Do as thou wilt shall be the while of the law.' (though that has exceptions for them, as well).

But not to all extremes as I am not a Satanist, I am a Wiccan, so it comes with a few more restraints. Actually a great many more, as we believe in most of the good from most of the religions.

This all spills over into my political beliefs. The government has a duty to help and defend those most in need of both. The government also has the duty to stay out of the body and bedrooms of those in need of them staying out of it.

Last, I do believe the government should lay a light hand on firearms, but not too light of a hand. Most accidental deaths and firearm deaths are between family members. There are a lot of gun owners out there who are mishandling their greatest constitutional gift.

All for the good of the whole.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Nobody's hand in my pocket. I keep what I earn, contributing to what I use, giving to the causes I support ... in amounts I choose.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

Sure, I'l play;

I believe a government should be ruled by the people FOR the people. The ones that were born and raised in that land always take first precedence. Immigration is welcome, but policies need to ensure that the people already living there are not disadvantaged nor put in danger. As such I believe that nations should be free to pick and choose who they let migrate in ie birds of a feather flock together.

I believe that everyone regardless of race / religion / sexuality / gender identity is equal before the state and there should be no discrimination as such. But if any one of those categories starts to cause issues then the state can and should react. True equality does not mean special treatment, or protectionism. It just means access to the same basic human rights as every other citizen without bias.

I believe that foreign trade should be limited. Raw materials, food and goods that simply cannot be made in a nation are the only thing that should be traded internationally. If a foreign firm wants to do business, fantastic. Build a factory in the country they want to do business in and employ the locals for the goods to be sold locally.

I believe that no nation has the right to interfere with another's internal affairs. If a nation is in distress, the only time outsiders should get involved is when the recognised government of that land calls for help. And all help should be on their terms, not ours.

I believe that foreign investment in housing should be banned. Houses are not monopoly pieces. Shelter is a basic human need and therefore prices need to be kept at an affordable level for the average person. Investment for profit (as in buying up large swathes of houses and keeping them empty to create a shortage in the market thereby forcing prices up) in housing is morally bankrupt. I take no issue with local people buying properties and renting them out though, the market needs both rental and freehold options available to citizens.

I want to naturalize Markiosity so we can make him the next President in 4 or 8-yrs. I'm basically saying: Ditto! Nicely stated, Sir Markiosity.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
Now, I want you to explain to me what your political alignment means to you, your family, your life, the universe and everything.

I want you to do this without mentioning any names at all
without declaring or suggesting your own Left/Right leaning
without any mention or reference to the Left/Right opposition or their views

To me, my political alignment follows my moral compass. Strangely, my strongest "leaning" can be best summarized by the Christian book of Matthew, about the sheep and the goats (Matthew 25:31-46), where Jesus towards the end said:

Then the King will answer, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me.’

It is similar to the common idea of judging a nation on how they treat their animals or their marginalized citizens. To me, this includes anything with either no voice or a muted voice. Animals, underrepresented demographics, Earth, etc... all things I feel we should be judged on in regards to our treatment of them.

Beyond that, I lean towards anything that grants liberties without oppressing others. If it harms none, do as ye wilt. Drugs, sex work, lgbtq rights, and anything else that has been legislated by misguided morality police... all of that should be treated as fairly as any other thing in their respective categories. For example, drugs should be treated like beer. Sex work should be treated like any other personal service. LGBTQ rights should be the same as any hetero-cis-normative rights.

For my family, all the above is of vital importance. Much of that affects us yet most of it doesn't. But it still does because we want our kid spending her adulthood in a world much less stuffy and dogmatic than he one we grew up in. I guess I can say that about the world, life, and the universe, as well.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

For the better part of my life I used a vote for neither the left or right party lines and voted NDP . That all changed when all 3 parties stood shoulder to shoulder to support the Ukrainian coup . That told me that all parties are just someones puppet no mater which leaning or even if they land in the center .

People in the US to choose their leader but in Canada we do not . I think that can make a big difference and with Trump it becomes clear that both parties can reject the peoples choice but at the end of the day Trump became the peoples choice .That in itself is a good thing .

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I believe in Christ.

I believe I am a sinner...

I believe I am saved.

Side note...
I believe that a 10 pound turd is a bunch of crap!

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: edsinger
I believe in Christ.

I believe I am a sinner...

I believe I am saved.

Side note...
I believe that a 10 pound turd is a bunch of crap!

I'm with you fellers.

Except that 10 lbs. of turd is a bunch of fertilizer.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Constitution upheld. Live and let live mentality. Succeed or fail on your own merits. Smaller government. Free discussion. No nanny state.

I was going to post something, but you already said it perfectly.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

I'm with you fellers.

Except that 10 lbs. of turd is a bunch of fertilizer.

Depends on whence it came...

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

i view the political spectrum-like the EM spectrum-different bits are suitable for different tasks

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

i view the political spectrum-like the EM spectrum-different bits are suitable for different tasks

I kinda dig that.

Just remember that the blue end of the spectrum is much more dangerous.

<<   2 >>

join