It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Farmers Secretly Feed Cows Defective Candy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
A picture of the scene when local police arrived Dodge County Sheriff's Department

"At 8:51pm on Tuesday night, the Dodge County Sheriff's Office came across unusual items that were left in the road," it wrote. "Hundreds of thousands of Skittles were spilled on County Highway S near Blackbird Road. It is unclear who may have spilled the skittles on the road. The Dodge County Highway Department was asked to clean them off the road.

That discovery was made public after a truck deposited hundreds of thousands of Skittles onto a rural road. All of them were in one colour and without the trademark "S" on them and, after they were found, the police were forced to ask highway cleaners to get rid of them.

After it emerged what had happened, the Sheriff's Office posted an update.

"The Skittles were confirmed to have fallen off the back of a truck," it wrote. "The truck was a flatbed pickup and the Skittles were in a large box. Due to it raining at the time, the box got wet and gave way allowing the Skittles to spill out on the roadway. It is reported that the Skittles were intended to be feed for cattle as they did not make the cut for packaging at the company.

American farmers have secretly been feeding their cows defective Skittles to avoid paying for corn

Unknown to many, the practice of buying in defective or unneeded food to feed to animals go back for decades. But it is thought to have picked up around 2012, when corn prices rocketed up and farmers needed a cheaper way of feeding their animals.

As well as clearing up the mystery of why so many skittles appeared on the road, the crash has helped shed light on feeding practices that had until now had only been known by farmers.
www.independent.co.uk...

Whats wrong with Skittles?

Crushed Bugs as Red Food Coloring (Red 40)

After killing thousands at a time, the dried insects are boiled to produce a liquid solution that can be turned to a dye using a variety of treatments. Some people worry that the coloring — often called carmine or carminic acid — could be listed as a “natural color,” disguising the fact that there are bugs in the product.

Beetle Juice in Sprinkles and Candies

You know that shiny coating on candies like Skittles? Or the sprinkles on cupcakes and ice cream sundaes? Well, they get that glaze from the secretions of the female lac beetle. The substance is also known as shellac and commonly used as a wood varnish.
10 Gross Ingredients in Food We All Have Eaten

I find it deceiving. I do not even consider candy as a food but as a small treat. What else do they consider food?

I wonder how much of the cows diets are defective foods/candy?

The news clip above seems to find it funny, I don't.

I am glad I stopped eating beef. Bad enough they feed cows GMO corn but defective foods, ewwwww.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

Secretly? This has been in videos for years. Has been presented to the FDA and congress. The Republicans blew it off. The Republicans blocked ANY attempt at fixing this as is it is cheap 'food' for farmers to give their animals.
The last time was about the company m&m/Mars.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I was at a large farm/dairy once that had the best smelling feed. It was a mixture of corn silage, Hershey's chocolate and cream.
I asked them why they put cream in the feed of the dairy cows.
The answer: to boost milkfat production.
The prices for butter and cream were low at the time, but the prices increased for the whole milk if the milkfat percentages were higher.
It seemed weird to me, but it made sense to them.

Edit to add: I saw this place in the late 1980's.

edit on b000000312017-01-23T18:27:34-06:0006America/ChicagoMon, 23 Jan 2017 18:27:34 -0600600000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Secretly? This has been in videos for years.

Maybe you missed this part of the article posted above.

originally posted by: gmoneystunt

American farmers have secretly been feeding their cows defective Skittles to avoid paying for corn

Unknown to many, the practice of buying in defective or unneeded food to feed to animals go back for decades. But it is thought to have picked up around 2012, when corn prices rocketed up and farmers needed a cheaper way of feeding their animals.

edit on 23-1-2017 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
They wouldn't even need to do this if the US would stop wasting all of its corn and land on ethanol production. Just a thought.

Maybe feed your cows instead of ruin engines and not increase efficiency at all.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
"Defective skittles"? Isn't that an oxymoron?

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
so what`s the problem, is candy not good for cows?

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

With not knowing how certain foods are manufactured, and what their "secret ingredients" are, I'd say feeding processed candy in mass to cows can't be a good thing.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

With not knowing how certain foods are manufactured, and what their "secret ingredients" are, I'd say feeding processed candy in mass to cows can't be a good thing.

Good point. Also who knows what the defect is. Could be defective for a bad mixer of ingredients or wrong ingredients

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

As of 2014, the main ingredients in the original flavor of Skittles are sugar, corn syrup and hydrogenated palm kernel oil. There is also less than 2 percent citric acid, tapioca dextrin, modified corn starch, natural and artificial flavors, colors (red 40 lake, titanium dioxide, red 40, yellow 5 lake, yellow 5, yellow 6 lake, yellow 6, blue 2 lake, blue 1, blue 1 lake), sodium citrate and carnauba wax.

Doesn't sound healthy to me

edit on 23-1-2017 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

I have had the privilege of being inside of a lot of food plants, company names that any would recognize.
Candy manufacturers were not the worst of places that I have seen.
One pretzel bakery made me swear off of the brand, but some the worst places were fruit and vegetable packing places.
I will not gross everyone out with the chicken dog story.
PS: Don't eat chicken hotdogs.

edit on b000000312017-01-23T18:53:47-06:0006America/ChicagoMon, 23 Jan 2017 18:53:47 -0600600000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

And this is why you should eat duel certified organic and non hmo verified. Audit trails dont lie.

Well one of many reasons

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

The article say it happened on a Tuesday.

Trump has not been president on a Tuesday yet so this happened under Obama's watch.

The biggest abuser of executive orders could not be bothered with it, so it is apparently no big deal,

Nice try though.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Animals have been fed food that is not deemed fit for human consumption for aeons.

I have a small block of land myself and guess who eats all of my food scraps? Why my chooks do of course. And I in turn eat their eggs. And the eggs are of better quality than what is bought in stores.

Having grown up on a farm, I've seen everything from human food scraps to sour milk to corn recovered from cow poop (they don't digest un chewed corn kernels) to fruit not considered good enough for market and even molasses being fed to various animals.

As long as such things do not constitute the entire diet of the animal and you don't do anything completely unnatural, ie feed a herbivore meat, the animals are fine. In fact they think they are great treats.
edit on 23-1-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Brewery near me gives away the mash after the alcohol and flavor is removed. smells good going down the road behind a truck full of the stuff.

(post by Deny Arrogance removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
All the broken Oreos and Animal Crackers go for animal feed.

Kind if ironic on the last one.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I don't think there is anything sinister going on with Skittles, although I do worry about the livestock that has to live off them.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

candy isnt good for anyone.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
This is what one calls

"Sweet meat"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join