It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of Skittles end up on an icy road. But that's not the surprising part

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

A rural county in southeast Wisconsin had a sweet, sticky mystery along a highway earlier this week. Hundreds of thousands of red Skittles were found spilled on a road in Dodge County. "There's no little 'S' on them, but you can definitely smell, it's a distinct Skittles smell," Dodge County Sheriff Dale Schmidt told CNN affiliate WISN.

I love the red ones.
It gets strange though, as I never knew this.

Apparently around 2012 when corn prices were surging farmers were looking for an alternative to feed their live stock. The answer, Skittles.

The practice goes back decades, but it picked up steam in 2012 when corn prices were surging and cattle farmers were looking for a cheaper way to keep their cows and other livestock fed. "(It) is a very good way for producers to reduce feed cost, and to provide less expensive food for consumers," said Ki Fanning, a livestock nutritionist with Great Plains Livestock Consulting

I wonder how that type of feed affects the meats we buy at our markets?

"I think it's a viable (diet)," John Waller, an animal science professor at the University of Tennessee, told Live Science. "It keeps fat material from going out in the landfill, and it's a good way to get nutrients in these cattle. The alternative would be to put (the candy) in a landfill somewhere."

Alright, I'll buy it.

Interesting.

Source

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It is my understanding that there is unicorn with a unique delivery system that is probably responsible.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The cows will get cavities!!! Well, they hopefully will be slaughtered and consumed before any real tooth decay happens!

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
A fake news by CNN if I ever saw one

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The #2 ingredient in skittles is corn syrup.
Corn is often used as feed, even though cows have no business eating corn. Or candy, for that matter.

So we're taking the cattle food, processing it, mixing it with all sorts of other nonsense, then feeding it back to the cows because it's "cheaper" than we can feed them the cattle feed we started with.
Who wants to bet there's some serious subsidy money involved?

Does anyone else see a good reason why we deserve to go extinct, here?

Sugar, Corn Syrup, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Apple Juice from Concentrate, Less than 2% Citric Acid, Dextrin, Modified Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Coloring (Includes Yellow 6 Lake, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 1), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I heard about this a few years ago...
In 2012 the story broke that farmers were doing this because it was cheaper than real feed for their cows.!

money.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
They dump all the leftover Halloween candy in the feed troughs, too.
Wrappers and all.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
The #2 ingredient in skittles is corn syrup.
Corn is often used as feed, even though cows have no business eating corn. Or candy, for that matter.

So we're taking the cattle food, processing it, mixing it with all sorts of other nonsense, then feeding it back to the cows because it's "cheaper" than we can feed them the cattle feed we started with.
Who wants to bet there's some serious subsidy money involved?

Does anyone else see a good reason why we deserve to go extinct, here?

Sugar, Corn Syrup, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Apple Juice from Concentrate, Less than 2% Citric Acid, Dextrin, Modified Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Coloring (Includes Yellow 6 Lake, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 1), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).

Yup cattle foods just like cheap pet foods can have fillers and it's allowed. If not Skittles processed into the cattle feed, it's rinds. Corn Syrup in foods is used to bulk up animals by calories. More fatty meat, more sales. Another reason to not eat meat from factory farms, at the very least.

This case sounds like so far there wasn't permission to use it from the company so it came from elsewhere and without that regulation could cause issues such as contamination.

2012 article,

Or that's what they say in Kentucky apparently, where an industrious cattleman has responded to skyrocketing corn prices by swapping out the corn in his 1,400 cows' diets for low-grade candy.

Source

top topics

join