It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manning commutation could set up Assange extradition to US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Now that President Barack Obama has commuted much of whistleblower Chelsea Manning’s prison sentence, will Wikileaks founder Julian Assange follow through on his promise to accept extradition to the US?
On Tuesday, Obama announced that he was granting clemency to Manning, along with 208 other people. The former US Army intelligence analyst will be freed on May 17, rather than in 2045 as originally intended by his conviction under the Espionage Act.

Manning commutation could set up Assange extradition to US

rt is the first to report this story.
But I found it here which led me to rt...

Think about the weird parallel to this story...

Manning gave away secrets to the entity that made those secrets known to the public...
If Mr. Assange didn't put his name on the wikileaks site, whoever wants his head on a platter would have to kick rocks?

If Manning gets clemency for his wrong doing, why do damage control upon the head of Assange...
Why make Assange the donkey we pin the tail on, when the tail belongs on the policy-makers who deemed it necessary to kill the innocent?

Assange is not the entity killing innocent people.
His organization stands upon a foundation of trust...
I wish I could say the same thing about most organizations/bureaucracies.

Making war for profit is disgraceful. It takes away from us our own integrity.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Feeble attempt to bump thread.

Two kids are fighting over a stolen cookie because that's all that was left in the hidden cookie jar...

Is it the kids fault for stealing the last cookie, or is it the parents fault for hiding the cookie jar?

What kind of parent would only punish one of the kids for stealing the last cookie?
What kind of parent would hide the cookie jar?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

I would not be surprised if that was the ultimate motivator for this recent move by the Barry Administration

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I really think he commuted the sentence just because he felt it was right. I doubt Obama hinged his decisions on what Assange said what he would do if X was done.

Assange will not be in any hurry to face charges anywhere.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I would not be surprised if that was the ultimate motivator for this recent move by the Barry Administration

Without corroboration between the administration and Assange is made public...ain't found any yet.
I was hoping to find a medium of communication between the 2 party's.
Nobody is spilling the beans.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
What charges are pending against Assange in the U.S. ?

Or is it some kind of "maybe if" or "could be" thing.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I really think he commuted the sentence just because he felt it was right. I doubt Obama hinged his decisions on what Assange said what he would do if X was done.

We're kind of learning things as we go huh?
I wonder if O presented a deal to Assange, and Assange gave Manning as a condition?
Did Assange cause a reaction by O's administration?

If Assange is in the wrong, why would O extend leniency to Manning, but withdraw it from Assange?
Why would Assange make a deal for clemency for Manning doing wrong?

The secret is out. Damage control is too little too late, and frankly not worth the effort.
If the effort is to give the impression of integrity...
It's time to start acting with integrity, would you not agree?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: loveguy

I wonder if O presented a deal to Assange, and Assange gave Manning as a condition?

If Assange is in the wrong, why would O extend leniency to Manning, but withdraw it from Assange?

The secret is out. Damage control is too little too late, and frankly not worth the effort.

Assange has done much more in regard to leaking to Manning. Obama is a Constitutional Law Professor. I believe he studied the case and found the sentence too harsh.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Good question. I don't know the answer to that.
I thought Sweden wanted him for some sex crime.

Kind of telling if the real damage was due to releasing gov. docs. that made a gov. fronting like a legitimate entity while
really, not so much?

At least there were some forward thinkers who put laws into place to cause justice to occur...

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Assange has done much more in regard to leaking to Manning. Obama is a Constitutional Law Professor. I believe he studied the case and found the sentence too harsh.

I'll apologize in advance...
Did O have anything to do with policies wrought on today's Chicago murder statistics?

Don't answer that, it's a loaded question, and has nothing to do with Assange, or this thread.

The only thing Assange did was release documents displaying the integrity of gov.
It's that integrity that requires restoration.
Returning the ability and freedom to raise his kids would be the first step.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I'll apologize in advance...
Did O have anything to do with policies wrought on today's Chicago murder statistics?

Don't answer that, it's a loaded question, and has nothing to do with Assange, or this thread.

The only thing Assange did was release documents displaying the integrity of gov.
It's that integrity that requires restoration.
Returning the ability and freedom to raise his kids would be the first step.

I will ignore the loaded question part.

I used to fully support wikileaks. They have lost some journalistic integrity, in my eyes.

Not all, I I question some of their 'dumps' and think they should have.
edit on 17-1-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

They do call themselves journalists. Journalists don't dump every last piece of information they have without context. I have found them to be irresponsible on many levels in the last year.
edit on 17-1-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Could be speculation .........

Publication of leaked material

WikiLeaks

WikiLeaks was set up in late 2006 as a disclosure portal, initially using the Wikipedia model, where volunteers would write up restricted or legally threatened material submitted by whistleblowers. It was Julian Assange—an Australian Internet activist and journalist, and the de facto editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks—who had the idea of creating what Ben Laurie called an "open-source, democratic intelligence agency". The open-editing aspect was soon abandoned, but the site remained open for anonymous submissions.[76]

According to Daniel Domscheit-Berg, a former WikiLeaks spokesperson, part of the WikiLeaks security concept was that they did not know who their sources were. The New York Times wrote in December 2010 that the U.S. government was trying to discover whether Assange had been a passive recipient of material from Manning, or had encouraged or helped her to extract the files; if the latter, Assange could be charged with conspiracy. Manning told Lamo in May 2010 that she had developed a working relationship with Assange, communicating directly with him using an encrypted Internet conferencing service, but knew little about him. WikiLeaks did not identify Manning as their source.[77] Army investigators found pages of chats on Manning's computer between Manning and someone believed to be Julian Assange.[59] Nicks writes that, despite this, no decisive evidence was found of Assange offering Manning any direction.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Wikileaks just tweeted from Assanges lawyer that Assange stands by what he said. This is getting interesting now.

I'm not so sure Assange will be safe or free if extradicted to US. The Trump administration is unpredictable.

Assange lawyer @themtchair on Assange-Manning extradition 'deal': "Everything that he has said he's standing by."

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Obama is a Constitutional Law Professor

By "Professor" im sure you mean "non-tenured senior lecturer" where senior implies a barely more than adjunct status?

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Obama didnt say that Mannings release was contingent on Assange being extradited. Nor did Assange sign or agree to anything directly in relation to todays event.

Therefore Assange doesn't have to do anything.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:59 AM
link   
When Assange lands in the USA, President Trump will be there to greet him with a big pat on the back and a Medal of Freedom award. Then a job in his Administration.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Trump in 2010: WikiLeaks 'disgraceful,' there 'should be like death penalty or something'

Donald Trump called WikiLeaks "disgraceful" and suggested there be a "death penalty" for their actions during a 2010 interview.
Speaking on camera to preview Brian Kilmeade's radio show, the Fox News anchor brought up the topic of WikiLeaks. At the time, WikiLeaks had published hundreds of thousands of classified documents and videos that were leaked to the organization by Pfc. Chelsea Manning, known at the time as Pfc. Bradley Manning.

"I think it's disgraceful, I think there should be like death penalty or something," Trump said during the quick exchange uncovered online by CNN's KFile.
His 2010 comments are in sharp contrast to his decision Wednesday morning to invoke WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who claimed in a new Fox News interview that the Russian government was not the source of the hacks during the presidential campaign.

Trump hasn't got a clue what he is doing.

edit on 18/1/2017 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

My question exactly. As far as I know there is no extradition order for Assange in the U.S..

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   
It's all in the wording.....

Remember... Assange litterally claimed a pardon for Manning... not a commutation. The two are completely different with similar outcome.

A "pardon" being an executive FORGIVENESS of the crimes commited,

while

A "commutation" is an executive LOWERING of the time served.

Obama didn't pardon manning... he commuted her, in short... Obama has not said "It's ok... we forgive you."

But since the majority of the public doesn't see or know the difference between the two things, it can result in the public seeing Assange as a liar / weakass idiot if he doesn't turn himself in........

So why is a pardon more powerful and more interesting?

Because a pardon would be the same as Obama saying "sure... at the time we thought you did something wrong, but we are going to let it pass... no harm done."

This would create far more precendence for people like Assange and Snowden who both only revealed wrong doings by the American governments. People would stop and ask... hey, why can Manning go and not those two?

Instead the commutation will mean that Obama is saying "Yes... you have been bad and what you did was wrong. But after this time, I will let you out with time less server. MIND YOU! I still think what you did was wrong!"

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime

Wikileaks just tweeted from Assanges lawyer that Assange stands by what he said. This is getting interesting now.

I'm not so sure Assange will be safe or free if extradicted to US. The Trump administration is unpredictable.

Assange lawyer @themtchair on Assange-Manning extradition 'deal': "Everything that he has said he's standing by."

Assange worked directly with the US intelligence services and was used as a conduit against the corrupt establishment...i think he will be pardoned but he may not be safe....it's just been stated by Roger Stone himself that he was poisoned by the same drug that killed the Russian agent in London a few years back...Polonium.
Stone was violently ill before and just after xmas and was told he had been poisoned by the DR's at Mount Sinai in Miami and his enemies are....drumroll....the Clintons.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join