It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanna stop fake news.. shut down twitter

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I just think now people will post anything to get attention even if its bs. I call it a form of trolling the public into something they will fall over themselves and rage over. I don't trust anything anyone puts out anymore unless I see a trend of different outlets reporting the same exact thing a few times. Then I might think its ok to make my own thoughts about it.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: 4N0M4LY

No BUT there ought to be some form of punishment or negative action to the media outlets who dish out mishandled stories.

There are punishments for media outlets if they cause harm or defame individuals/groups/organizations.

Mishandling stories is not enough to void the right to a free press.

CNN is a perfect example of how they could very well lose all accredibility for being a legit news outlet.

Legit is in the eye of the beholder. Even though CNN can be biased and factually wrong from time to time, they are not any worse than the rest of the MSM.

CNN is no longer considered legit by those that hold a bias that conflicts with CNN's style. That is not enough to shut them down or punish them.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Freedom of speech ends when people start creating false stories and potraying it as the real thing and causing mass confusion and hysteria.

I've not seen mass confusion and hysteria as the result of fake news or tweets. Asking to shut down a source of info instead of fact checking them is intellectually lazy.

You never heard of the national radio broadcast of "War of the Worlds". That almost caused a nation wide panic in 1938

Did we shut down all radio stations in response to that?

The WaPo story just the other day... The tweet went out on Breaking News as soon as the story was posted and after the tweet the story went viral. Before the Post even had a chance to retract it , it was everywhere I posted the story on ATS as soon as I saw the Tweet with the link to WAPO.

Had it not been for twitter I would not have seen it for 2 days probably.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

When you have freedoms you have to take the good with the bad. I happen to LOATH anything related to William Randolph Hearst because of how he used the media but it exists and happened. Can't censor or do anything about it now (even though he helped make marijuana and other drugs illegal through these dubious reporting methods).

Media has always been biased, by the way (speaking of Hearst and all). People are acting like with Social Media its this new and dangerous beast. No. Back in the day, people used to recognize this but they just used their critical thinking skills to cut the chafe instead of making a big deal out of it. We didn't just blindly write off major news organizations just because we didn't like their political bias.

Granted sensationalism and media scares clearly still happened, but we humans are MORE than capable of figuring out how to make social media work with news reporting so that we settle back on the facts again.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Don't lie. Twitter doesn't get to the bottom of any hoaxes.

Thats a lie.

No that is an opinion. You should attempt to learn the difference. Though. I'm curious; what hoaxes has Twitter (and JUST Twitter) exposed?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
What would Megadrumph do without his twitter to attack people?
His Drumphticons would lose their minds.
He's the biggest fake news of them all.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY

a reply to: goou111

So why not crack down on the true source for almost all hoaxes?

Freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech ends when people start creating false stories and potraying it as the real thing and causing mass confusion and hysteria.

You never heard of the national radio broadcast of "War of the Worlds". That almost caused a nation wide panic in 1938

Or of the WMD in Iraq???

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: goou111

I've not seen mass confusion and hysteria as the result of fake news or tweets. Asking to shut down a source of info instead of fact checking them is intellectually lazy.

Did we shut down all radio stations in response to that?

The WaPo story just the other day... The tweet went out on Breaking News as soon as the story was posted and after the tweet the story went viral. Before the Post even had a chance to retract it , it was everywhere I posted the story on ATS as soon as I saw the Tweet with the link to WAPO.

Had it not been for twitter I would not have seen it for 2 days probably.

Let's not confuse the potential for viral spread on the internet with causing widespread confusion and hysteria.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

When you have freedoms you have to take the good with the bad. I happen to LOATH anything related to William Randolph Hearst because of how he used the media but it exists and happened. Can't censor or do anything about it now (even though he helped make marijuana and other drugs illegal through these dubious reporting methods).

Media has always been biased, by the way (speaking of Hearst and all). People are acting like with Social Media its this new and dangerous beast. No. Back in the day, people used to recognize this but they just used their critical thinking skills to cut the chafe instead of making a big deal out of it. We didn't just blindly write off major news organizations just because we didn't like their political bias.

Granted sensationalism and media scares clearly still happened, but we humans are MORE than capable of figuring out how to make social media work with news reporting so that we settle back on the facts again.

Well I'm just glad we still have a choice in what to read/watch to make our own minds up.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY

So why not crack down on the true source for almost all hoaxes?

Freedom of speech.

Or of the WMD in Iraq???

That was a complete disaster. The worst thing about it was the guys on the ground trying to call it a foul and going public with it only to be shut down and covered up. It took many years for people to finally get the truth on what happened. What a nightmare that was.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I was playing Civilization V the other day and the quote you get for researching the internet really describes this media age to a T. "The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had." - Eric Schmidt

I agree.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Don't lie. Twitter doesn't get to the bottom of any hoaxes.

Thats a lie.

No that is an opinion.

Then don't call me a liar.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Stupid solution. If you get rid of Twitter or even just censor it too much, another social media outlet that allows more extreme behavior will just crop up to replace it. The niche exists at this point. We need to figure out a way to work WITH it instead of against it.

I could live without it.. Like it never existed. like a fart in the wind.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Stupid solution. If you get rid of Twitter or even just censor it too much, another social media outlet that allows more extreme behavior will just crop up to replace it. The niche exists at this point. We need to figure out a way to work WITH it instead of against it.

Me too. I don't use Twitter at all, but your nor my opinion there is relevant to the conversation. The fact matters that it exists, Social media exists and we are going to have to learn to live with it rather than fight it. Just because you can live without it doesn't mean that others can or even WANT to live without it, and it certainly isn't fair to their 1st Amendment rights to take it away from them.

Besides, banning something we think that humans can't handle is literally the kneejerk reaction to EVERYTHING in society from both partisan sides. We shouldn't feed into it.
edit on 3-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Want to stop fake news?

Dont be spoon fed, research the articles , find the truth, stop being lazy, and call them out on it......

Thats like asking to shut down ATS because some of the posters post ludicrous stories that are clearly not true......no, what we do is investigate, do our own research and they get HOAXED binned.......

No censorship......

Cant believe people are asking for the gov to step in and protect people from being spoon fed sheep.........and "CONSERVATIVES" non the less, i swear I dont recognize my previous conservative brothers and sisters anymore
edit on 1/3/2017 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I was playing Civilization V the other day and the quote you get for researching the internet really describes this media age to a T. "The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had." - Eric Schmidt

I agree.

It also shows we have much to learn from each other as a species that lives on this blue rock. The internet is one big social experiment afterall. I agree too!

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I didn't. I told you to stop lying. There is a difference, if you take offense to being called out for saying something untrue though that is on you. I notice you aren't attempting to prove me wrong at all. Still waiting for you to show some hoaxes that solely Twitter has exposed.
edit on 3-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Me too. I don't use Twitter at all, but your nor my opinion there is relevant to the conversation. The fact matters that it exists, Social media exists and we are going to have to learn to live with it rather than fight it. Just because you can live without it doesn't mean that others can or even WANT to live without it, and it certainly isn't fair to their 1st Amendment rights to take it away from them.

Besides, banning something we think that humans can't handle is literally the kneejerk reaction to EVERYTHING in society from both partisan sides. We shouldn't feed into it.

Im not for banning twitter or Facebook or anything.. Just pointing out social media is the #1 source for fake news by far.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

I told you to stop lying.

Same same.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I agree. It's true and something that consternates me to no end, but at the same time I'm trying to keep level headed about it so that a reasonable solution presents itself. Heck, maybe all the public needs is just a solid dose of reality to bring them back from the brink. I'm sure they'll be getting that in spades in the coming days/years.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join