It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International Religious Freedom Act Becomes Law in USA

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Wow...so - this is new. Quite a "next step":

(I, for one, applaud it!)

Please keep in mind that it protects EVERYONE who is not Christian: atheists, muslims, wiccans, jews, pagans, etc. No more picking on NON-CHRISTIANS. (Just like no more picking on gays!):

HISTORIC: Obama Just Signed A Law That Will Grant Protection To Atheists From Being Persecuted

and

Frank R. Wolf International Religious Freedom Act Becomes Law as reported by Family Research Council:

This past Friday, President Obama signed into law H.R. 1150, the Frank R. Wolf International Religious Freedom Act. (Congress had passed H.R. 1150 just a few days before on December 13th) The law was introduced by Congressman Chris Smith, a well-known defender of human rights, and named in honor of longtime religious freedom champion, retired Congressman Frank Wolf.

Everyone who helped this bill become law should be commended. It will strengthen ways for religious freedom to be better supported and protected around the world, and highlights the critical role religious freedom should play in U.S. foreign policy.

The passage of this law is a nice Christmas gift. We now hope it is acted upon and fully implemented.

For the record, I first found it here: One Nation. No God. Period.

Daily Kos is a forum like ATS. I highly recommend it for its investigative, sourced, articulate and reasoned threads and posts.

edit on 12/21/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Bzzzzzzzzz Bzzzzzzzzzzz

Does this include any/all arguments whether their Deity is "better"?

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Can I ask what were atheist prosecuted for prior to this law?

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I agree with the summary statement below:

(Sec. 2) This bill amends the International Religious Freedom Act of 1998 (IRFA) to state in the congressional findings that the freedom of thought and religion is understood to protect theistic and non-theistic beliefs as well as the right not to profess or practice any religion.
Link

Fair practice

A couple of the other clauses make me wonder if it isn't another justification to exercise military and political might in foreign nations.

(Sec. 301) The President: (1) concurrent with the annual review of the status of religious freedom in foreign countries required under the IFRA, shall identify any non-state actors operating in a reviewed country or surrounding region that have engaged in particularly severe violations of religious freedom, (2) shall designate each such non-state actor as an entity of particular concern for religious freedom, and (3) shall submit a report detailing the reasons for such designation.

(Sec. 303) The President's report on action taken in response to violations of religious freedom or on designation of a country as a country of particular concern for religious freedom shall include: (1) an evaluation of the impact on the advancement of U.S. interests in democracy, human rights, and security; and (2) a description of policy tools being applied in the country, including programs that target democratic stability, economic growth, and counter-terrorism.

^^^ They seem like green lights to continue imposing US government standards on other nations and regions within them.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

Overseas.

It deals with United States foreign policy and the State Department vis a vis foreign powers and how they treat their respective citizens.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Unfortunately laws can't eliminate hate or ignorance.

If Church and State are separate, then how can it be legislated?

I think it sets a dangerous precedent that will be misused in the future.

Freedom of religion is all that was ever needed. Religions are included in hate crime laws and it's already illegal to discriminate against people based on creed or religion.

I don't think it sounds bad, but it could be.

I don't know if precedent is used in Congress but in court it can change the way judges can...Judge.

Sounds nice though.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Not PROSECUTED. Persecuted. Like the Christians always claim....picked on, ridiculed, refused service, blamed for intolerance, etc. But they are the ones picketing veteran funerals, and refusing to bake cakes or sign marriage licenses.....and wanting a 'registry of Muslims', etc. IN THE MIDDLE EAST, YES - CHRISTIANS ARE TREATED LIKE CRAP BY MUSLIMS.
In Africa, CHILDREN HAVE ACID POURED DOWN THEIR THROATS AND ARE BURNED ALIVE BY CHRISTIANS.

Christians have been claiming "persecution" for centuries. Always and forever...they claim they are put-upon, abused, etc. Yes, in the Middle East, some of them are. But in Russia, or here in the USA, or in Europe...NOPE. They simply like to act like they are.

So - they also talk about atheists as "anti-christs", and "demons" and "satan-worshippers" and "persecutors"......
and they have no tolerance for any other religion (and in some cases, even 'any other denomination' than their own).

THIS IS NOT ALL CHRISTIANS. It is the rabid right-wing Evangelical types....like Pence, and Walker, and Kim Davis, and plenty of talking heads.
They need to get over themselves, once and for all.
NO ONE CARES what god you pray to, as long as you do it PRIVATELY and don't tell everyone else they are "going to hell" or are "abominations" or what-ever-have-you hateful thing.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Bzzzzzzzzz Bzzzzzzzzzzz

Does this include any/all arguments whether their Deity is "better"?

Not that I'm aware of.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SethTsaddik

If Church and State are separate, then how can it be legislated?

I think it sets a dangerous precedent that will be misused in the future.

To let people have their own religion and not allow them to give other religions a hard time is reasonable, and legislatable. HATE CRIMES are hate crimes, whether based on sexuality, skin color, religion, medical procedures, or religious beliefs.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Not PROSECUTED. Persecuted. Like the Christians always claim....picked on, ridiculed, refused service, blamed for intolerance, etc. But they are the ones picketing veteran funerals, and refusing to bake cakes or sign marriage licenses.....and wanting a 'registry of Muslims', etc. IN THE MIDDLE EAST, YES - CHRISTIANS ARE TREATED LIKE CRAP BY MUSLIMS.
In Africa, CHILDREN HAVE ACID POURED DOWN THEIR THROATS AND ARE BURNED ALIVE BY CHRISTIANS.

Christians have been claiming "persecution" for centuries. Always and forever...they claim they are put-upon, abused, etc. Yes, in the Middle East, some of them are. But in Russia, or here in the USA, or in Europe...NOPE. They simply like to act like they are.

So - they also talk about atheists as "anti-christs", and "demons" and "satan-worshippers" and "persecutors"......
and they have no tolerance for any other religion (and in some cases, even 'any other denomination' than their own).

THIS IS NOT ALL CHRISTIANS. It is the rabid right-wing Evangelical types....like Pence, and Walker, and Kim Davis, and plenty of talking heads.
They need to get over themselves, once and for all.
NO ONE CARES what god you pray to, as long as you do it PRIVATELY and don't tell everyone else they are "going to hell" or are "abominations" or what-ever-have-you hateful thing.

So true.

It's not a minority either.

They never acknowledge that Christianity has persecuted more people, killed and tortured more people than any organization in history.

Protestants were just as bad.

Burning at the stake was the RCC's preferred method and if they could get away with it would still be doing it.

Sure, some Arab nations persecute people but it's a government doing it and not a religion.

Muslims and Christians in Arab countries do actually get along and are united against tyrrany, IS or US, and the persecuted Christians have been aided by Muslim neighbors after IS attacks.

Islam doesn't even allow the persecution of Christians or Jews, to do so is to violate the Qur'an's message NOT TO.

Religion doesn't guarantee that people won't use it to further agendas but true Muslims consider Jews and Christians as co religionists and actually do get along.

It's not news worthy though.

Drone strikes take more innocent lives than ISIS, that is the saddest thing.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Religious freedom is already protected in the USA in the Bill of Rights. We don't need new laws to fill the books, we need enforcement of what we already have.

The US should not have any part in "international law".

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

This is great!

Outstanding News!

About damned time (if the bill is followed). We can definitely applaud President Obama for this one.

www.christianitytoday.com...

Russell Moore, president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, hailed the legislation as "a vital step toward protecting conscience freedom for millions of the world's most vulnerable, most oppressed people."

"Millions, including many of our Christian brothers and sisters, have experienced the most brutal forms of persecution, and entire cultures are now on the brink of extinction. This is an urgent human rights crisis, and global religious liberty is too important to become a partisan wedge issue," said Moore in a statement.

The newly signed act also includes protections for non-religious people such as atheists and agnostics.

Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, said the legislation "will help ensure that defending religious freedom remains at the core of our engagement in even the most repressive parts of the world and that we have the most effective policies in place to be successful."

The Southern Baptist Convention approved its latest resolution on international religious freedom in 2015, saying it encourages U.S. government officials "to elevate religious liberty concerns to the highest priority in foreign policy, invoking sanctions against those nations which advocate or tolerate persecution of those with differing religious beliefs."

edit on 21-12-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
Religious freedom is already protected in the USA in the Bill of Rights. We don't need new laws to fill the books, we need enforcement of what we already have.

Guess you do not read the contents of the bill or my previous post. It has nothing to do with United States citizens.

edit on 21-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Guess you do not read the contents of the bill or my previous post. It has nothing to do with United States citizens.

Then it should have nothing to do with the POTUS. International law signed by the President is unenforceable without war/proxy wars. This gives the President a license to wage war whenever they feel like it (since the ME is always trying to kill each other.)
edit on 21-12-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

I have never read of any atheists ever being persecuted for the non belief in a god.

But they (atheist) sure do like to persecute Christians. I have not seen them (Atheist) as of yet go after Islam, Buddhist, Animists, Wiccan's, Satan Worshipers, Scientology etc etc etc.

I would be interested in readying any real stories about Atheist going after any other religion than Christian or about them being persecuted.

You may link away so I may read.

edit on 21-12-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Going up to someone on the street and telling them they need to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior or they will go to hell is not only being a nuisance.

It's persecution based on beliefs. Nobody should have to be told what can't be known is a fact while minding their business.

Yes, atheists have been killed and persecuted.

Christians have killed people for being atheists, it's a fact.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

That is ridiculous. Of course the US should have a part in "international law"!!! We are not a 'rogue state' like N Korea or other horrid places.

Humanitarianism for the world. THAT IS ALL THERE IS TO IT. We have to be Humanists. Unitarian Universalists. "Nones."
Pagans. Atheists. Scientists. Philosophers and professors, doctors and lawyers and judges and teachers and parents and community leaders and church pastors and priests.

WE HAVE TO LEARN TO GET ALONG.

what the eff is SO HARD ABOUT THAT to understand? For crying out loud???!!!! WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT?!!!!

Just do your thing, and leave everyone else alone about their thing!! This is freaking PRESCHOOL stuff.
gah. I am so nauseated by all of this.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

oh hai chet.

But they (atheist) sure do like to persecute Christians. I have not seen them (Atheist) as of yet go after Islam, Buddhist, Animists, Wiccan's, Satan Worshipers, Scientology etc etc etc.

I would be interested in readying any real stories about Atheist going after any other religion than Christian or about them being persecuted.

YOU ARE NOT BEING PERSECUTED! You are playing "martyr" and hoping people will notice.

Keep your beliefs to yourself. ANyone who wants to hear it will find you. You don't need to go preying upon unsuspecting, innocent people minding their own business.

EVERYONE KNOWS HOW TO REACH A CHURCH PERSON if they want to. So - just. Nunya. Mindya. Shutya. All that.
Just stop. The Amazonian jungle dwellers aren't reading along here. Stop preaching, please all gods and angels and ancestors and saints and spirit guides ---- PLEASE HALT THE PREACHING!

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Ok. Let me rephrase. The United States Government should not be involved in legislating, interpreting, or enforcing international law.

"Pagans. Atheists. Scientists. Philosophers and professors, doctors and lawyers and judges and teachers and parents and community leaders and church pastors and priests", should all be able to do their thing abroad at their own expense (or at the expense of their sponsors), but Government needs to stay out of it.

WE HAVE TO LEARN TO GET ALONG.
what the eff is SO HARD ABOUT THAT to understand? For crying out loud???!!!! WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT?!!!!

I personally want a choke collar around the Federal Government's neck. I don't like being told which of my Constitutional Rights are ok to exercise, and which ones aren't socially acceptable. So if the US Federal Government can't even respect the 10 fundamental HUMANITARIAN Liberties outlined in the Bill of Rights, on American soil, what makes you think its a good idea for Obama to be signing international laws on your behalf????

If you want USA to force Religious Freedom onto sovereign nations, then maybe you should advocate for USA to enter the overt Empire stage, and conquer the world. That way, International Law will be the US Bill of Rights (and the rest of the Federalist Constitution).

But you cant have it both ways. Either America remains a sovereign nation, respecting the sovereignty of other sovereign nations, or America becomes an empire and conquers the world. I personally think America should mind its own business, trade with like minded nations, and stop double dealing with frienemies.
edit on 21-12-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
error
edit on 21-12-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join