It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Glenn, First American In Orbit, Dies At 95

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Former NASA astronaut and Democratic US Senator from Ohio , John Glenn, has passed away at the age of 95. He died at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus, Ohio, according to local newspaper the Columbus Dispatch.

source
Columbus Dispatch
Sorry, I don't really have much to say right now...
This is a sad day. We've lost an icon and a true American hero. Glenn and others like him were an inspiration for millions of people, including myself, not just in America, but across the world. He will be missed, but his legacy will live on.

It was reported yesterday that he had been hospitalized over a week ago for an unknown condition. I still haven't found any more information on what that condition may have been, but the major news outlets are just picking this up, so I'm sure we'll have more information soon.

R.I.P. John...
edit on 12/8/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

RIP John Glenn.

God Speed.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

RIP, you brought us humans closer to the outside world.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
God speed, John Glenn!

The heavens await.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

He went back to where he belongs.

edit on 8-12-2016 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
A man that truly had no limits.

Godspeed.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
RIP space cowboy. Thanks for leading the way.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Didn't he just get airlifted out of Antarctica?

Godspeed Mr. Glenn!

You broke barriers that kept the entire human race down and every person alive on this earth owes you a debt of gratitude.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
RIP and Godspeed sir the the world has a little less of the right stuff today

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

That was Buzz Aldrin.

link   
I like the "first transcontinental supersonic flight" he did as a test pilot.

A true American hero!

Condolences to family and friends.

The most important thing we can do is inspire young minds and to advance the kind of science, math and technology education that will help youngsters take us to the next phase of space travel.

-John Glenn

brainyquotes

link   

originally posted by: Syphon
RIP space cowboy. Thanks for leading the way.

Amen

RIP

link   

Don't be sad celebrate his life , 95 is a fine old age and when you've spent those 95 years as John Glenn I don't think there's any reason to complain.
He's a legend , a name synonymous with space travel who will be remembered by generations to come.

Rest in Peace Mr Glenn , happy final journey.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
From a time we had real heroes, RIP

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

Godspeed Mr. Glenn!

You broke barriers that kept the entire human race down and every person alive on this earth owes you a debt of gratitude.

That was Buzz Aldrin. He's getting up in years, too.

RIP, Mr. Glenn. You left a big beautiful mark on human history.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It is very true we did lose a good one today. Talk about living a rich life though. To be the pioneer of space and then to go back so much later. Yes indeed, we have lost a true world hero.
My stomach dropped just a bit when I saw the breaking news even though I was rather expecting it after it had been said for the last few days he wasn't feeling well.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
do not be sad that he died [ we are all mortal ] - but be joyous that he LIVED

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
God speed and farewell Mr. Glenn, heroes like you makes history.
edit on 8-12-2016 by Syphone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
As a kid, I read everything about the space program I could get my hands on. John Glenn was as familiar a name for me as my own parents' were.

As I grew older and became a Marine, his name was pounded into our heads as an icon of the Corps, and his speech/response to Howard Metzenbaum is something I've had memorized since I was barely 18 years old.

A truly sad passing, on many levels for me.

"I would direct your attention to the table at the rear where a place has been set for those Marines who have gone before us. The military way of life is filled with much symbolism. The table provides a way to tell us that members of our profession, whom we call “brothers”, are unable to be with us this evening. It is set for one, yet there are many represented by the single chair. The table is draped in black, symbolizing the color of mourning; the ultimate sacrifice, a table set in honor of our fallen comrades. The single lighted candle reminds us of the flame of eternal life that the memory of our fallen comrades will be with us always. The Purple Heart medal displayed to reflect the infliction of wounds and the ebb of life in battle. The identification tags blank, yet they could bear the name of Marines of every creed and color, and from every state in the Union. The dinner setting inverted, they dine with us in spirit only. Those who have died so that we may live, our former comrades who have earned the glory and have given to us the respect and pride that we, as Marines, hold so dear. Marines and honored guests, let us honor our fellow Marines, who have gone before. Mr./Madam Vice, a toast to all Marines who have died for our beloved Corps."

To our fallen comrade.

- Marine Corps Mess Night Toast to the Fallen

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Ah, thank you.

Head has been somewhat mushy of late.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join