It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oakland officials fear up to 40 dead in warehouse party fire

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Nine people have been confirmed dead and 25 others remain missing. Sgt. Ray Kelly, spokesman for the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office, told reporters during a press conference Saturday that officials are “prepared to deal with up to 30 to 40 deceased people.”

Oakland officials fear up to 40 dead in warehouse party fire

This is preliminary as they have not got count of all victims yet.
A prayer would be appreciated for the families, victims and rescue workers.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: imd12c4funn

This is going to be bad, really bad.

www.ktvu.com...

right now its 9 dead and 25 missing.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Very tragic, just kids having fun. When I was young I didn't car about fire alarms and escape exits either.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
When sanctuary cities like Oakland promote and foster lawlessness, people ignore laws and safety codes.

This kind of tragedy is the inevitable result.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
When sanctuary cities like Oakland promote and foster lawlessness, people ignore laws and safety codes.

This was actually an artist community who threw a monthly party to help with rent cost on the warehouse. It wasn't a bunch of illegal aliens huddling around a barrel fire for warmth...

But I guess reading or looking into a thing before opening ones mouth isn't always the top priority for all I guess...

(post by PorteurDeMort removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

Funny how he has the most stars in the thread too...just like AMs zazz for pres troll thread...where no one bothered to read past the first few lines...I guess here they didn't bother to even look into the story at all. Sad state things are in here huh.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

Hmmm, no word as of yet if the attendees were illegal immigrants. I'm betting by that logic the West Warwick, RI, where 100+ perished in the Station House Fire must have been a sanctuary city as well.

I can see the correlation now:

Sanctuary City / Disaster

New York / 911
Aurora / Theater Shooting
San Francisco / Loma Prieta
Oakland / This Fire, Oakland Hills fire etc etc.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
updates:

www.mercurynews.com...

As one fire official summed up: there were not alot of injuries. You either made it out or you didn't

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Funny how he has the most stars in the thread too...just like AMs zazz for pres troll thread...where no one bothered to read past the first few lines...I guess here they didn't bother to even look into the story at all. Sad state things are in here huh.

It is sad. I have been coming to ATS for over a decade. I have only been a member for a little under 2 years but in my time I have noticed a severe increase in ignorance and plain hate speech. Its sad really.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Learn to read.

I did not claim they were illegals or even imply such.

You might consider taking an elementary level course in reading comprehension before embarrassing yourself further.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

The ignorance on display here is yours.

Sanctuary cities failing to enforce laws and regulations breed contempt for all laws and regulations.

This is a fact.

If it makes you feel better to call it "hate speech" or "hate facts" it will not change the facts of the matter.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I never said anything about race.

I also never said these victims were illegals.

Illegal is not a race.

Mexican is not even a race.

You are the one putting your racism and ignorance on display.

These deaths were completely avoidable.

This is what no enforcement or respect for the law looks like.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
well it must a been a hot party.(dark humor heals the soul)

Oh well. make sure next time to make sure you dont burn th e place down partiers.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

When people say sanctuary city it refers to a city that doesn't try to deport illegal immigrants...which is why you came off the way you did...words...they mean stuff

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Also wanted to add, in case anyone was interested, some pictures of the place before it burned down. It was actually a pretty damn cool looking place. Also the link I will add goes to a Twitter account for one of the reporters there.

Pictures Here
edit on 3-12-2016 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   

My heart goes out all suffer from this tragedy.

From before fire pics... was it completely crowded with crap like that in entire warehouse? I mean no disrespect but by looks like gypsies rat nest.. add smoke how could anyone make their way out that mess?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Too bad 'cool' places burn. This one appears to be constructed entirely from wood, a flammable material.
I will wait for a fire marshall's report. It will be interesting to see if there were fire alarms, exit signs, fire suppression systems or whether the building occupancy had been exceeded.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
In spite of the high profile terror events here in the states since even before 911, one thing that is clearly lacking in most people is common sense and situational awareness. Not many people seem to want to think about a disaster much less make plans for dealing with one. I'm willing to bet they had no safety or security plans for this event. The people who put this on are going to be held responsible, but I'm willing to bet a rare few will learn from it.

From the article:

Meanwhile, onlookers convened just outside the police tape to take in the scene. One man, who wasn’t willing to give his name, had been to multiple parties at the warehouse, which he said had been going on for the past five years. “That party, the police didn’t know that party was there, because you can’t hear it from the outside,” the man said. “We used to have parties, underground parties, in all kinds of underground warehouses where no one would have died in a fire, and you would get out, no problem.”

So this sort of illegal "underground" party has been going on for at least five years at this warehouse. Sounds like the guy quoted above has a bad case of normalcy bias and zero situational awareness. IMO, that place should have been closed down years ago, so the local authorities have some responsibility in this case I would think.
edit on 4-12-2016 by MichiganSwampBuck because: added extra comments

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yea when my friend at work showed me the pics I was like damn...the entire place was wood. He was saying it wasn't at all up to code and I guess the stairs to the second floor were stacked pallets. It's a wonder more people didn't get trapped.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join