It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminism now targeting: Mansplaining

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

DISTRESSED victims of “mansplaining” in the workplace can now report it to a dedicated union hotline.

Swedish women who believe they have fallen to victim to instances of sexist male colleagues explaining things to them in a sarcastic way are being offered advice and support.

Unionen, which represents 600,000 private sector workers, has set the advice line up in a bid to stamp out the scourge of what has been dubbed “mansplaining”.

The hotline will be manned by feminist politicians, comedians and scientists. They will advise angry women what action to take next, The Local reports.

But Swedish men were not amused, taking to the union’s Facebook page to complain about what they called a “sexist” and polarising campaign.

Link

Surely this is taking things a little too far? Where does this lead and what good can come of this?

+17 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   

The hotline will be manned by feminist politicians, comedians and scientists.

What?

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
*raises hand*

Hi, hi...um, I'm fairly darn socially liberal but even I can't stomach this stuff. Yeah, I'm not with those guys over there (points to the crazy people using words like mansplaining).

Yeah, those guys are nuts and not who I want to associate with. I'll gladly engage in bipartisan cooperation with conservative friends to push back and say, "enough, that's cross the line into absurdity".

It is, especially the examples of its use I've seen. As a "word" itself, whatever I don't have an opinion on a new word being created. What I *do* have a problem with is being used to self-victimize people. Or fight other people's battles for them, when they never even asked anyone to stand up for them.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

A hotline for women to talk to someone about men "talking down" to them at work.

Just curious - - are you saying its not a problem?

Am I the only woman posting so far?

edit on 15-11-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Wow! Next they will be complaining the men didn't explain the job properly and it caused them to be fired for being incompetent.

Mansplaining...I have heard it all now!

edit on 15/11/16 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
All the women make sure you raise your hand.

These subjects seem to always draw a male crowd.

+19 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Ah the evil sexist men...what would they do without them?

I suggest equal time for distressed men whose wives constantly talk down to them...the idiots....
edit on 15-11-2016 by Snippythehorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
It seems that this is something only women understand. Men quite often talk down to and overtalk women. Continues to this day. Plus you can't play any team sport with a man because they push the woman away cause they think they are better.

Plus, men try to "fix" every social or emotional issue a woman has just when many times women just want to talk it out-not necessarily need an answer.

This does exist-I like the name-"mansplaining."

Venus and Mars.
I totally get this-except the hotline seems like overkill. Women always share these issues amongst themselves-no need for a national hotline.

Yes, I am divorced.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
edit on 16-11-2016 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

+56 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

As a female - I think the idea of "mansplaining" is completely ludicrous and it disgusts me that there are females out there who take these things too far.

A hotline for distressed women, indeed.

Some women need to grow a pair. In my humble opinion.

Just editing to add:
During my employment - I have had bosses both male and female. While the men I worked with and worked for considered me an equal and an actual -person-, the women were mostly self-righteous and held an air of superiority. "Equality".

I am all for a hotline for women who need to talk about important issues. Abuse, rape, a feeling of danger, etc. In fact, men can have those hotlines too! But a hotline for distressed women who couldn't handle some sarcasm?
edit on 15 11 2016 by kaelci because: eta

+22 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
All the women make sure you raise your hand.

These subjects seem to always draw a male crowd.

Mostly because I live in a world where, for some crazy reason, i am expected to put the toilet seat both down and up, or risk names like "sexist" and "misogynist" being hurled around.

I don't want to live in a world where inflection, and not words, are what gets me fired. That is why it draws a male crowd....because "tolerance" is a one way street.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I think talking down to a woman in a condescending way is not acceptable at any time or place-- but I don't think it warrants a new word. It's called "sexist" behavior.

And if there's a hotline for it, great. Sexism should be reported as its not something allowed in the workplace. I'll help hand out flyers and hang signs. Really.

I don't get what's wrong with saying, "I was treated in a sexist way" or "He was being very sexist in the way he described how to scan that document".

I'm not going to bother someone or pour gas on the fire by going after them for using it, but I'm also not going to be jumping on board with it. Everyone wants to feel special, and that their struggles and injustices are worse/more important than everyone else's it seems these days...
edit on 15-11-2016 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Odd. Maybe I'm in the minority but most of my past bosses/supervisors have been women.

+23 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I wonder what its like to be a perpetual victim.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
It seems that this is something only women understand. Men quite often talk down to and overtalk women. Continues to this day. Plus you can't play any team sport with a man because they push the woman away cause they think they are better.

Plus, men try to "fix" every social or emotional issue a woman has just when many times women just want to talk it out-not necessarily need an answer.

This does exist-I like the name-"mansplaining."

Venus and Mars.
I totally get this-except the hotline seems like overkill. Women always share these issues amongst themselves-no need for a national hotline.

Yes, I am divorced.

Its far less divisive, and far more tolerant, if we just accept that men and women are different, and tend to come at things from different perspectives. My wife gripes about me wanting to "fix" instead of listen. Thing is: im a guy. You come to me with a problem, i fix it. Its unfair to expect me to act differently anymore than me asking her to just keep those feelings to herself.

If i can be tolerant, surely she can as well, right? Luckily, she is. 21 years worth.
But you get my point.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Usually, they are wearing a Cleveland Browns jersey.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

This is a joke, right? I mean it cant possibly be serious.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I get "talked down to" for things like laundry. Gender roles man.

I never learned how to fold laundry or anything. I just assumed we had a magical machine that did that. I'd pile it up in front of the machine, and it would find its way back into my drawers later that day.

Did you know they have these re-usable dryer sheet things? I didn't. The neighbors probably thought the world was ending when she found it in the trash.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Lysergic

Usually, they are wearing a Cleveland Browns jersey.

Nah. Washington Nationals.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Hell , I second that. Been married 38 years now. Where is my affront and indignation
Oh , the shame of it all.
Wait. I have turned to my wife for explanations on how to do some things all our life together....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join