It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby Boom demonstrator unveiled

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Boom Technology has unveiled a 1/3rd scale demonstrator that will be used to verify supersonic and propulsion technologies for the XB-1 that they plan to start flying in the 2020s. The Baby Boom is a two seat aircraft, where the XB-1 will seat up to 40.

The company has two orders for 25 aircraft from Virgin and an undisclosed European airline. The aircraft will fly at Mach 2.2, and may be the first to fly supersonic over populated areas.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

NIce - doubt Ill ever see one in the air (cynic that I am) - but thats a good looking concept.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Silk

Barring something big during testing, they have the best chance of getting one going. None of the others are anywhere near this far along.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Sonic Boom! less

That is pretty sweet looking. Looks like it would make for a nice trainer as well.

I like the business jet too.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Aerion and Spike Aerospace are business jets, and this is a small airliner, so i think there won´t be direct competition between them.

Hypermach is in between with 36 passengers but its goals are so enormous that if they get it done it will be at least 15 years from now, if at all.

My favorites are Hypermach (i like it to be fast) and Boom (the sexiest of the conventional designs).

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Fastmover

There won't be, but Aerion has already run into issues developing their aircraft and still aren't close to building a demonstrator. Spike has pushed their first flight back two to three years at least.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Yes, these laminar flow wings must be a little tricky. Besides changing to a tri jet design makes it harder to find a suitable engine.

One thing that intrigues me is what engines Boom is planning, i heard they plan to "re-fan" an existing core. Would that be enough?

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Depends on what they start with. It should work with the right engine.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Performance-wise it could be a military power plant, but export regulations can be tough

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

That's one of the problems Aerion ran into. They want military class engines.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

It´s funny that knowing this fact, Hypermach Aerospace plans to operate its plane while his pilots see how they can outpace any known fighter jet in the world while the USAF lets them doing so.

By the way Zaph, what´s your take on that company?

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I think they over reached a bit. I like the idea, and they've got the engineering experience, but I think they're trying to run before they crawl.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I remember Richard Lugg express the same idea in an interview in AOPA, which is funny.

Returning to the Boom design, they plan not to use an APU because they see it not necessary in a three engine plane, but it may complicate things in the ramp using carts for start up.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
My impression that in general this may be another vaporware type even that is designed to garner Venture Capital (I have a bit of knowledge in that realm). I mean most at said company are working in a legit fashion, but there are a few at the top that no doubt are using this as pure enrichment play (I freely admit, I have done zero real financial research on the company or its exec's) and before someone points out Richard Branson investments, often such Unicorn/Angel investors are after the status and recognition such an investment brings. Look at his investment Virgin Galactic. He's gotton more publicity that he could have otherwise. That being said like with that company that searches the internet you never know whats going to hit and hit big.

The issue over land will be a tough one. Setting science aside much like other topics, it can and will become an emotional issue. Couple that with a litigious society and general NIMBY attitude it will be a tough nut to crack for sure.

Its is one sweet looking air frame for sure and it would be cool if they can get it running, but it will be the playground of the global elite and not really make much of a difference for the rest of us herded like cattle into those aluminum tubes because the economics will always be unfavorable for other 99% of us barring some sort of complete revolution in propulsion technology.
edit on 11/15/16 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

They've come a long way in terms of footprint reduction of sonic booms. NASA has reduced the footprint to the point that you almost need instrumentation to detect it.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

What is it with the flying wing designs? Are they more efficient and superior to other designs? I know they are very difficult to make work. Are the payoffs worth the R&D costs?

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: gpols

It's not a flying wing, it's a Delta. A Delta wing lends itself extremely well to a supercritical wing, which is almost a prerequisite to efficient high speed cruise.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Ahh! Alright.

Speaking of Delta wings the Air Station had some F-104's out flying around this past summer. I didn't get a chance to snap a picture or I would have added them to your picture thread.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They've come a long way in terms of footprint reduction of sonic booms. NASA has reduced the footprint to the point that you almost need instrumentation to detect it.

No doubt, Ive followed it with great interest in AWST , but you can never discount the emotional issue no matter how rational the science is. Environmental groups will point to the fuel consumption and paint it as an elitist thing etc etc and that will be it.

Make no mistake, I would love to be able to fly from San Fran to New York in a few hours!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Of course they will, but do you really think people, especially business people are going to pass up the chance to be at a meeting in London at lunch, and home for dinner on the same day, no matter what the eco groups say? They're going to be the primary market, other than the two orders from airlines.
edit on 11/15/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join