It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secession of the States?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
As most people with an interest in current and world affairs I've been trying to keep up to date with election of Donald Trump as the next President of the United States.

Its not for me to comment on the US's electoral procedure but the one thing that does strike me is the strength of feeling shown by people from both sides. They seem to appear completely unwilling to respect and accept other's opinions.

I understand passions are high, but they tend to abate with time.

But what if they don't?

States like California voted strongly against Trump as did many of the east coast states.

So I'm asking American members if they think there is a possibility that this election result could lead to some states attempting to secede from the Union?
Is there a significant level of support for such an action?

It certainly appears that certain demographic groups may support such action.

I'm sure such a possibility would be a relatively long way off but I'm just wondering?

edit on 10/11/16 by Freeborn because: spelling

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
As most people with an interest in current and world affairs I've been trying to keep up to date with election of Donald Trump as the nest President of the United States.

Its not for me to comment on the US's electoral procedure but the one thing that does strike me is the strength of feeling shown by people from both sides. They seem to appear completely unwilling to respect and accept other's opinions.

I understand passions are high, but they tend to abate with time.

But what if they don't?

States like California voted strongly against Trump as did many of the east coast states.

So I'm asking American members if they think there is a possibility that this election result could lead to some states attempting to secede from the Union?
Is there a significant level of support for such an action?

It certainly appears that certain demographic groups may support such action.

I'm sure such a possibility would be a relatively long way off but I'm just wondering?

Honestly, in this election cycle I would say no, there is no chance of it.

If it were a fundamental right and far right loss, I would say that's possible, but for the far left and moderate left loss that has occurred, no....they don't want to lose what few entitlements they have left at the federal level.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

No.

If the racists didn't Secede when Obama was elected, I highly doubt California is going to Secede. Could you imagine what kind of issues they would have financially without the support of the federal Government? It would be hilarious. I would actually love to see it, only because I nor my family live there.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Perhaps California could become a state of Cuba or Venezuela

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

not likely, even Massachusetts is primarily concerned about if they will lose federal contracts now that they have no meaningful representation at the federal level.

I voted for Trump, hope Western Europeans will also get rid of their hopeless present leaders.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The only US state, IMO that could actually pull off secession, is Texas... because they have their own power grid, not to mention lots of guns. That said, Trump carried that state, so they have no desire to secede THIS time. But I believe they could if ever they wanted to.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
dbl post
edit on 11/10/2016 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Nobody's seceding, they never would be allowed. So you think the feds would let that tax money wall? Not happening

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I am in the United States, and I think there really could be some secession movements. So-called red states and blue states seem unwilling to compromise their core ideals, which are often completely opposite one another. You are right about that.

Honestly, I do not think secession would be a bad thing. Blue states could do their blue state stuff, and red states could go their own direction, without anyone oppressing the other side.

I am going to ruffle some feathers here, because I thought the first American Civil War should never have been fought. The north should have let the southern states secede. I think every state should have a right to secede, especially if those in a particular state feel that their state freedoms are being impinged by federal (national) law, on local issues.

Having said all that, do I predict any state or states will actually successfully secede because of this election? Well ... no.

I don't think any state is going to secede yet, and though there is talk, it won't happen because of this election.

Right now so many people are just angry, it is kind of like living in 'crazy world' hah

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I think the US has gotten too big.

Regardless who is president, we should split up the states into different countries.

Might make everyone happier then.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

Honestly, in this election cycle I would say no, there is no chance of it.

If it were a fundamental right and far right loss, I would say that's possible, but for the far left and moderate left loss that has occurred, no....they don't want to lose what few entitlements they have left at the federal level.

Did you know California's GDP is higher than Italy's?

en.wikipedia.org...(nominal)

above link broken for some reason.. here's another:

www.lao.ca.gov...

But no, I don't think any states are going to secede.
edit on 10-11-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here
The only US state, IMO that could actually pull off secession, is Texas... because they have their own power grid, not to mention lots of guns. That said, Trump carried that state, so they have no desire to secede THIS time. But I believe they could if ever they wanted to.

We have been our own country and could be again…with little difficulty...
In fact, it is written into our state constitution to never operate in debt and we remain in the black to this day…

But we Texans are very proud Americans and would never secede…

Not in 1000 years more we leave the greatest country in the history of our species…

And as an Englishman, the op can take some of the credit…

Our government is a child of a revolution which saw us amputate our tether with Great Britain but America was and is inarguably born of English sensibilities…

-Chris
edit on 10-11-2016 by Christosterone because: iPad speech to text can't understand your Texas accent

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Countries are breaking up all over the planet. Even long established ones are having these issues. Scotland in the UK is an issue. Catalonia in Spain is another. The Basque regions of France and Spain, although perhaps slightly less pressing, are still issues as well.

Iraq, Libya and even Belgium have been having debates about this too.

We should also look at the countries, however long they have been established, that have actually broken up in our lifetimes. The Soviet Union itself, although never an actual country, was to all intents and purposes considered one, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia...

The precedent is there for large countries to break up when the polarity in the society is so strong that it can't be overcome by centralized government, so while it seems absolutely unlikely, I wouldn't say it is impossible for some kind of break up.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

would never succeed…

would never secede
(FTFY! ...b/c you have and will succeed!)

Also, cool about your budget. TIL
The entire country needs to adopt that policy.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
This thing comes up every election almost.

If a democrat wins, usually people in Texas start ranting about succession.

If a republican, the same but with California.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I doubt it. I think after a little period of tears and anger, everyone will settle down and go back to what they were doing before all this happened.

This election captured emotions that haven't been seen in my lifetime. And it lasted a while. So it's not going to settle down over night, but eventually, folks will have to return to work, or run out of tissues at the very least.

Hey, we are "stronger together".

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

I use speech to text on iPad which cannot understand my accent…

It makes so many homonym errors that I miss many of them...

That was the first thing I went back and edited…

You'll notice my notes at the bottom next to the edit where I bemoan apples inability to understand me haha

-Chris

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The thing is, granted its been from across the pond, but I've seen Carter, Regan, the Bush's, Clinton and Obama all get elected and it seems to me that the bitterness from the opposition camp is increasing with every election.

Many, many people have / had an intense dislike of Obama and both Bush's yet their respective elections never provoked such a ferocious outburst as we are witnessing as a result of Trump's victory.

Domestically I have witnessed how the move towards devolved power and independence can have a momentum all of its own.

Has that ball started rolling in the US?

I understand the issues surrounding federal contracts, funding and taxation etc but none of them are insurmountable given time and determination.

Like the rest of the world the US seems increasingly divided - Trump says he wants to heal these divisions, could he in fact intensify them?

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I think the US has gotten too big.

Regardless who is president, we should split up the states into different countries.

Might make everyone happier then.

Agreed. All of our taxes wouldn't be funneled for dumb war too.
edit on 10-11-2016 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

the greatest country in the history of our species…

Peoples around Planet Earth think the same of their countries.

To each their own.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join