It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Park was forced to re-write tonight’s episode after Trump’s win

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   
South Park was forced to re-write tonight’s episode after Trump’s win

The writers and producers of Comedy Central’s South Park famously operate on an extremely tight schedule, starting and finishing entire episodes in the week before they air. But apparently even Trey Parker and Matt Stone can be caught off guard by a truly seismic event in the American zeitgeist, with Esquire reporting today that plans and promos for tonight’s episode of the show had to be scrapped after Donald Trump’s presidential victory Tuesday night.

The current season of South Park has been openly political, putting a reluctant Mr. Garrison in the place of America’s new President-Elect. But descriptions for tonight’s episode previously referred to it as “The Very First Gentleman,” with a promo showing Bill Clinton preparing to visit South Park Elementary. Those have now been pulled, and tonight’s episode—now titled “Oh, Jeez”—carries this promo instead:

Original promo.

Now...

I guess even the creators of South Park didn't see this one coming!

South Park is one of my favorite shows, not afraid to engage in controversial social satire and one of the few truly non-partisan shows to do it. So it's no surprise that the focal point of this season has been the 2016 election, with Giant Douche and Turd Sandwich vying for the presidency.

edit on 10-11-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Link is broken, goes nowhere. I was actually talking with a friend the other day and we both had a feeling they probably made an episode for both situations in advance. Would be nice to see both of them though

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I figured they would have side by side responses ready. That was my impression during 2008 too.

Watching it now...

edit on 10-11-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Thanks, fixed.

a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yeah I thought so too, or that since they usually do a show within a few days of airing they would write up a script for each then do it at the last minute.

I hope they release the lost episode, seeing Bill Clinton and Bill Cosby together up to their old hijinks is hilarious.

edit on 10-11-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
the bill and bill song, the brilliance. love how south park is acknowledging klinton rape accusations.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   

I havn't watched South Park since f knows when but that 3rd video in the op is funny!

May have to watch th whole last 5 years of it at least.. goes way back then that though... about 20 years since I last watched it.
edit on CSTThu, 10 Nov 2016 04:10:24 -06000000003004x024x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: correcting spelling mistake.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Its way more than just rescripting. Drawing cartoons, recording dialog and sound...and a bunch of post production necessities to even accurately air....its more likely they already had two drawn, scripted, recorded after editing.

Just like Trump and Clinton needed speech scripted both ways in case. This is how TV production works as well....and there maybe 30-50 pre and post production staff to create it in more than one physical location.

That's how it works in tv-video-commercial production.
edit on 10-11-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
They have a renderfarm for the show so they do not draw or do the cut-out construction paper any more. Even they admit it is overkill for such a simple cartoon.

I saw a video that showed how the show is created. It is pretty interesting. They brain storm concepts in a round table. I never knew that Bill Hader joined as a writer to the show! They get an idea and several others (the episode being written was the human caterpillar one), next comes dialog (Trey and Matt and any others), then they marry the two together in a rough cut. This is on Friday. No drawing is done as the shapes are already stored (like mouth movements for words). Any re-writes have to be done by Sunday so they can send out on Monday for review and approval by Comedy Central. They DO have the capability to send out Wednesday morning but they do not like doing that route.

BTW, the last time South Park had a major problem their building lost power before they could send the episode to legal for review! They ended up showing a rerun. They were doing a Wed. delivery and it backfired on them.

I am going to have to watch this episode again! It did seem kind of clunky and I figured the Donald win was the cause.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
They have a renderfarm for the show so they do not draw or do the cut-out construction paper any more. Even they admit it is overkill for such a simple cartoon.

I saw a video that showed how the show is created. It is pretty interesting. They brain storm concepts in a round table. I never knew that Bill Hader joined as a writer to the show! They get an idea and several others (the episode being written was the human caterpillar one), next comes dialog (Trey and Matt and any others), then they marry the two together in a rough cut. This is on Friday. No drawing is done as the shapes are already stored (like mouth movements for words). Any re-writes have to be done by Sunday so they can send out on Monday for review and approval by Comedy Central. They DO have the capability to send out Wednesday morning but they do not like doing that route.

BTW, the last time South Park had a major problem their building lost power before they could send the episode to legal for review! They ended up showing a rerun. They were doing a Wed. delivery and it backfired on them.

I am going to have to watch this episode again! It did seem kind of clunky and I figured the Donald win was the cause.

I always thought they would have a giant glass flower vase that looked an awful lot like a bong on the table and perhaps there would be some lingering smoke in the air.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I think we're all the losers here because now we won't get to see South Park make fun of Bill Clinton. So much comedy gold to work with is now irrelevant.

Thanks Trump!
edit on 10-11-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
what it really should be about is how the media duped millions of people that didn't have the binders on. Then were hypocrites after the election crying foul play.

new topics

join