It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An odd experience I hope can be explained.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I had an interesting experience today that I can not yet rationally explain. I would like some feedback to help. I was walking out of a school building when I heard a strange sound. It was first a short low rumble, followed what I can best describe as high pressure air coming out of pressure line. The duration was less then ten seconds and when I looking up and all around trying to find the source of the noise I saw nothing. It did sound like it was coming from above, but there was low hanging clouds so could not see to high, over all it was a gloomy day. The sound then did repeat its self and I was again looking up to see if I could see anything, again I could not. I looked at other people exiting the building and confirmed that they heard the noise also. I can best describe what I heard as something be propelled by a rocket engine, and breaking wind of a very fast moving object. I just saw nothing to confirm this. I have seen rockets being used so that is why I can relate what I heard to something similar to a rocket.

I do hope some one can offer an explanation.

Lat and long are (30.007200, -95.379782)
Map

edit on 8-11-2016 by RedGolem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Houston Airport is right there within spitting distance. My guess is a jet taking off.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Yes the air port is right there. We hear jets taking off and landing all the time. I can assure you that was no jet air craft of any sort of prop plane.

I did consider that it might be a jet engine going through some sort of mechanical failure. At this time I have no information to confirm that theory.

Thank you for the post and your thoughts.

edit on 8-11-2016 by RedGolem because: fix type

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Houston Airport is right there within spitting distance. My guess is a jet taking off.

Yep , most likely . Aircraft can sound really different in low cloud cover and fog .
But - just a guess ...

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Slakecontagia

OK the relative humidity and air density will make a difference to what something will sound like including a jet engine. However, I have been around air craft for almost 40 years. I could not relate this noise to any sort of air craft.

Thank you for posting and your thoughts.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
If there are paper mills or power plants in the area it may have been a relief valve pressure test. Google, high pressure steam blow , and see if any of the vids sound similar . You can hear this for miles, and if your very close it can be kinda scary..lol
edit on 8-11-2016 by chopperswolf because: because,because.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: chopperswolf

I will do that, thank you for the idea.
The only problem is there are no power plants or mills near by that might be opening a relief valve that I know of.
Thanks for the post.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Could you find an example of something to compare it with?

You said a rocket but I'm still really unclear on what sound exactly you heard.
Without actually hearing it myself I am very reluctant to even begin guessing.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Thanks for the advise and I did look up some videos.
The video of the SAM rocket I think is the closest to what I recall hearing.
The video of the steam blow the roar reminds me of what the sound was but sound more like a roar and not so much like something is breaking wind.

Rocket

steam

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: RedGolem

Like a SAM?
Hmmm, could it have been an amateur model rocket?
There are some pretty powerful ones out there these days.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: RedGolem

You said :

"I was walking out of a school building when I heard a strange sound."

When I was a kid everyone set off their model rockets at the schoolyard.
We also did it in science class for a project once.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

I do think that is a possibility. Again I saw nothing. I am also aware there are some model rockets out there that are way more powerful then I have come in contact with. I am also pretty sure it would not have been legal to launch them so close to the air port.

Good thoughts so thanks.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedGolem
a reply to: Slakecontagia

OK the relative humidity and air density will make a difference to what something will sound like including a jet engine. However, I have been around air craft for almost 40 years. I could not relate this noise to any sort of air craft.

Thank you for posting and your thoughts.

As I said , only a guess ... you had solicited thoughts . You are the one who was there , and I defer to your judgment ,,,

Now , what was it ? I know you know you think you know .

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Maybe check with school maintenance tomorrow. If a roof mounted air conditioning compressor/condenser unit exploded or suddenly lost pressure. That can make a hell of a noise.....from above.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: EdwardDrake

At this point in time that is the best idea I have heard will be my working theory. There are large heating and air conditioning units so when I have have a chance I will ask if they have blown a pressure valve from time to time.

Thanks for all the ideas and information.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I heard something similar driving home from work about 15 years ago. I was driving home at rush hour on 35w in Minneapolis, and there was what I can only describe as a concentrated group of hundreds of crows flying around making a spherical shape. The odd thing, was that I did not consider this at all strange until the next day!

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AshFan

You were driving so probably better to keep your attention to the road.
Thanks for sharing your experience though.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: RedGolem
a reply to: AshFan

You were driving so probably better to keep your attention to the road.
Thanks for sharing your experience though.

I was stopped in a traffic jam, but I feel you.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The other day I heard a plane like rumble that was constant, but I only heard it while walking past a certain house. It stopped and started again.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: anotherside

I can see where that would get you attention. Thanks for offering your thoughts.
If I have the oppertunity I will ask about the relief valve theory, so untill I find something different I am happy with that idea being the answer to my question.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join