It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gremlins?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This is a strange case, at least for me.

A friend of my sister gave her an old computer, a no-brand computer with an ASRock 939 Dual SATA2 motherboard, 3GB of RAM and a GeForce 7600GS. The computer came with Windows XP but with a strange behaviour, as it gave some BSODs now and when pressing F8 at start-up it didn't show all the options.

I tested the memory and it looked like one module was faulty, so I removed it, but the problems remained. Suspicious of the Windows installed I decided to install Windows 7, but the BSODs continued, with messages like PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, but the strangest part is that only happens when starting the computer, when it makes a successful start then it works without any problem until it's shut down.

Anyone has any ideas of what it may be?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

I looked up the errors and they relate to faulty or incompatible ram. Are you able to replace with compatible known working dims?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I thought that too, but the memory test doesn't find any problems and RAM problem shouldn't be limited to time Windows is loading, right?

Anyway, I have to see if I can get some memory modules to replace the ones on the computer.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Memtest doesn't always show failings in the RAM. I'm not a guru so hopefully someone else can chime in but in all my years of dealing with computers, I've had the best luck with swapping out known working parts to identify an issue as it relates. In this case memory.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Have you installed the manufacturer specific drivers for motherboard chipset/video card? If not, try it and see if the BSODs persist. Good luck & let us know how it goes!

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It could also be the memory controllers on the motherboard. If it has 4 slots for Ram, try using 1 stick in 1 slot and see if the error occurs, try it in different slots until it works.
If it occurs in all 4 slots with that 1 stick of RAM, change the RAM and repeat the process.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Also I had an experience with an ASrock motherboard a few years ago that is similar to yours.
The problem was that the bios was detecting the RAM at the wrong speed. I set it to DDR3-1333 which was the lowest speed of the RAM I was using and the problems stopped.
Maybe check that in your bios.
edit on 7-11-2016 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

Overlooked both of your suggestions. Excellent advice.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Dual SATA2

Do you mean "SATAN"? If so, it might be possessed. Failing that, she fed the gremlins after midnight.

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Thank you.

Fixing computer issues is like crack to me, I need help.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I'm a better fixer than explainer!

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Yes, I installed the manufacturer's drivers, as that's another thing that I thought was strange with the Windows that came with the computer, it looked like it had drivers from unknown sources.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   

I thought of that too, but when I changed the memory's speed the system didn't boot.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
That is strange!

Normally, at boot up a system check happens (POST) and if you have faulty memory you get beep codes instead of bsod. Then if you try several times you might make it through to bsod at the logo.

There are no standards so you need to check the BIOS maker/owner manual (probably mother board manufacturer if you do not have any other info).

The "old computer" might be something as simple as a CMOS battery is dead and needs a replacement.

Good luck!

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for the ideas.

I removed the DIMMs and put one that I had from another computer, and the computer started with no problems, but that has happened before, so I will have to wait some days to see if different memory solves the problem.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The memory is not the problem, as with this new DIMM the errors remain.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

If I read correctly you have tried to underclock it?

Have you also updated the mobo drivers?

Also, have you tried putting it in single channel mode in the BIOS?

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

I tried all that except changing to single channel mode, I will try that.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
After some days it looks like single channel mode solved the problem.

Thanks everyone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join