It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's where Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton stand on marijuana legalization

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
A less touched upon subject (on ATS at least) this election season is the two POTUS candidate's stances of legalisation.

Business Insider source!

Marijuana legalization, both recreational and medical, will appear on the ballot in nine states on November 8. And it's been a hot-button issue this election cycle.

Though this election season has been contentious, both Hillary Clinton, the Democratic nominee, and Donald Trump, the Republican nominee, have similar thinking on the issue of marijuana legalization.

It seems both have taken the sensible stance.

Legalise medicinal use and let the States decide recreational use.

Trump;

"In terms of marijuana and legalization, I think that should be a state issue, state-by-state," Trump told The Washington Post. "… Marijuana is such a big thing. I think medical should happen - right? Don't we agree? I think so. And then I really believe we should leave it up to the states."

Clinton;

"There's some great evidence about what marijuana can do for people who are in cancer treatment, who have other kind of chronic diseases, who are suffering from intense pain," Clinton told Jimmy Kimmel in March. "There's great, great anecdotal evidence but I want us to start doing the research."

Where do you stand, ATS?

I don't expect this to swing people's votes either way because of their similar stances...
But I thought it would provide a decent debate.

60% of Americans support legalizing marijuana, according to the latest Gallup poll.

Are you one of the 60% or do you have reservations about marijuana?

It could be the boost the economy needs...
Peace.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Hillary wants us to start doing the research? Huh? There are countless scientific studies on the effects of marijuana on various diseases, do a search on PubMed. Anecdotal evidence my posterior.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueShaman

Maybe read the source?

She has also called for removing marijuana from Schedule 1 - a move the DEA declined to make in August - which would free up scientists and policymakers to access marijuana for further research.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I recall seeing a Podesta email wherein the discussion was that Clinton is fairly lodged in her view on cannabis and that is AGAINST.

Yes, she will say some political answers to the public. If you read that line you posted yourself with what she says, nothing of it is actually her stating: "I'm for it!!" She's dancing around the subject, reciting stuff others have said. It's not the same thing as an affirmation. It's just.... well reporting for the sake of reaping easy points.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408
Oh I see, so she just had another bout of amnesia on the Kimmel show.

Thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

And here's my proof...

Podesta email: 927
Download the attachment, do a seach for "pot" or go to the top part of page 48.

“URSULA BURNS: So long means thumbs up, short means thumbs down;

So legalization of pot? SECRETARY CLINTON: Short in all senses of the word.

So Clinton is litterally completely against legalization. Makes good sense since the substance has a tendency to wake people up and question authority.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Trump;

"In terms of marijuana and legalization, I think that should be a state issue, state-by-state," Trump told The Washington Post. "… Marijuana is such a big thing. I think medical should happen - right? Don't we agree? I think so. And then I really believe we should leave it up to the states."

I Read that and see Mr. Trump is a Shrewd Man . His position of leaving it up to State Governments would in Essence create a Competition among them for Tax Revenues from the Sale and Distribution of Marijuana based Products . Those who would allow it , Benefit from it , those that do not , Lose out on it . Eventually All 50 States would have to Consider it if it is Seen as a Success in the ones that do opt for Legalization . Hillary on the Other hand seems to be Implying She would be in Favor of Allowing it for Medical Research , but does no go so far in that particular Quote as to agree with State sponsored Legalization .
edit on 5-11-2016 by Zanti Misfit because: spelling

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
Hillary on the Other hand seems to be Implying She would be in Favor of Allowing it for Medical Research , but does no go so far in that particular Quote as to agree with State sponsored Legalization .

Don't we already have State by State? Maybe not officially Federally - - but, that Genie's not gonna be put back in the bottle.

But, comparing "transcript" of these 2 is more eye opening then anything else IMO.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I hate to sound like a complete pothead but, the illegalization of pot is a great allegory for everything wrong with our governance. Look into how and why it's illegal. It was THE FIRST DOMESTICATED PLANT. That should clue you into Its usefullness for mankind. Although I support full legalization of all drugs, it's not the government's job to tell people what they can or can't do. The war on drugs is the worst policy ever and, solidifies the fact that the federal government is the biggest crime syndicate in the world.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

" But, comparing "transcript" of these 2 is more eye opening then anything else IMO. "

Hey , I Work with what I Got here . Are you Implying that Hillary Quote is not Accurate ? Do you have a Quote from Her where her Stance on this Issue is a Little More Detailed ? Lets see it .

Clinton;

"There's some great evidence about what marijuana can do for people who are in cancer treatment, who have other kind of chronic diseases, who are suffering from intense pain," Clinton told Jimmy Kimmel in March. "There's great, great anecdotal evidence but I want us to start doing the research."
edit on 5-11-2016 by Zanti Misfit because: spelling

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

" But, comparing "transcript" of these 2 is more eye opening then anything else IMO. "

Hey , I Work with what I Got here . Are you Implying that Hillary Quote is not Accurate ? Do you have a Quote from Her where her Stance on this Issue is a Little More Detailed ? Lets see it .

NO, reading Trump is like reading something from a first grader. Better leave it at that - - - not go off subject (why I was so vague).

I just can't take him seriously in transcript - - - on anything.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

" Hillary Clinton blows chance to win over millennials with slow evolution on pot "

www.washingtontimes.com...

" Hillary Clinton Leaves Door Open On Marijuana Legalization "

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Hillary is the cartels candidate....She will never support the decriminalizing of MJ.
If people don't understand the shadow government that rules America is up to its neck in the importation and distribution of all illegal drugs in the country....
CIA,DEA,BATF, are all involved in reaping the profits of addicting America to dope.....
Though Coke and Heroin are their big money makers the pot trade is very profitable as well for them.....
You will know there is freedom in America when pot is totally decriminalized . period.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

NO, reading Trump is like reading something from a first grader. Better leave it at that - - - not go off subject (why I was so vague).

Trump;

I do not know , that sounds Like a Pretty Sensible Position to have concerning the Question of the Legalization of Pot . Is Reading Comprehension a Disability you Might have ?

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Trump;

I do not know , that sounds Like a Pretty Sensible Position to have concerning the Question of the Legalization of Pot . Is Reading Comprehension a Disability you Might have ?

I don't want to derail the thread. He sounds so childish to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic.

States are already voting on marijuana usage. Obama says its not worth Federal involvement (basically, leave it alone).

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

So , in Essence , you Agree with Mr. Trumps Stance on this Issue ?

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Let's be realistic about what is said when campaigning. I pay little attention to what is said when campaigning.

Few candidates take a hard line on anything controversial (when campaigning). If they're addressing a Religious Group - - they may not say the same thing as when they're addressing a liberal college student group.

In the OP's article link - - - it also says this:

But, Trump also called Colorado's legal marijuana industry a "real problem," in the same interview with O'Reilly, a departure from his position in 1990, when he told The Miami Herald that the US needs to "legalize drugs to win" the war on drugs. And, Mike Pence, Trump's running mate, has expressed his opposition to marijuana legalization and governs a state with some of the harshest marijuana-sentencing laws.

And Hillary:

Clinton, however, is still measured in her support for recreational marijuana. She's said that she doesn't want the federal government to "interfere" with states like Colorado that have chosen to legalize recreational marijuana, and said that she wants to learn "what works and what doesn't work."

Also, neither has taken an official stance:

Clinton's campaign, like Trump's, hasn't taken an official stance on marijuana. The Marijuana Policy Project gives Clinton a "B+" on the issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You ask me if I agree with Trump. Trump has flip-flopped on this. I think all candidates have. It's just one of those controversial subjects.

Fact is, it is ME I agree with - - - not anyone else. ##snipped##
edit on Sat Nov 5 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: personal use comment removed

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
You forget that two-faced Hillary openly admitted she has a private position and a public position on issues.

Chelsea falsely claiming people died from marijuana in legal medical states, during a campaign speech for her mother, is a good indicator of Clinton's private position on marijuana.

edit on 5-11-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Let's be realistic about what is said when campaigning. I pay little attention to what is said when campaigning.

Few candidates take a hard line on anything controversial (when campaigning). If they're addressing a Religious Group - - they may not say the same thing as when they're addressing a liberal college student group.

But, Trump also called Colorado's legal marijuana industry a "real problem," in the same interview with O'Reilly, a departure from his position in 1990, when he told The Miami Herald that the US needs to "legalize drugs to win" the war on drugs. And, Mike Pence, Trump's running mate, has expressed his opposition to marijuana legalization and governs a state with some of the harshest marijuana-sentencing laws.

And Hillary:

Clinton, however, is still measured in her support for recreational marijuana. She's said that she doesn't want the federal government to "interfere" with states like Colorado that have chosen to legalize recreational marijuana, and said that she wants to learn "what works and what doesn't work."

Clinton's campaign, like Trump's, hasn't taken an official stance on marijuana. The Marijuana Policy Project gives Clinton a "B+" on the issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You ask me if I agree with Trump. Trump has flip-flopped on this. I think all candidates have. It's just one of those controversial subjects.

Fact is, it is ME I agree with - - - not anyone else. I have a medical issue. I "fought" using marijuana for years. I grew up in that era people went to prison - - it was scary.

Today I use it modestly (still a little squeamish about it). Like alcohol, I think it should be personal choice, and under the same laws.

Hillary will bring back those days of putting innocent users back in prison.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

And Hillary:

Fact is, it is ME I agree with - - - not anyone else. I have a medical issue. I "fought" using marijuana for years. I grew up in that era people went to prison - - it was scary.

Today I use it modestly (still a little squeamish about it). Like alcohol, I think it should be personal choice, and under the same laws.

Hillary will bring back those days of putting innocent users back in prison.

Have you ever said one positive thing about Hillary?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join