It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

94,609,000 Not in Labor Force

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
(Long Article Title Cont) Participation Rate Drops to 62.8%

Source

In its final report before next week's presidential election, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said on Friday that 94,609,000 Americans are not in the labor force, 425,000 more than last month's 94,184,000, and the second highest number on record.

The labor force participation rate dropped a tenth of a point to 62.8 percent. In other words, 62.8 percent of the non-institutionalized, civilian population over the age of 16 is either employed or are actively looking for work, while the other 37.2 percent is not working or even looking.

I guess this is the back-end of what is the truth.

Quite a different story depending on which way certain news agencies spin it:

The U.S. economy added a less-than-expected 161,000 jobs in October and the unemployment rate stood at 4.9 percent as investors got to digest the final payrolls report before Tuesday's presidential election.

To me it's a case of the truth becoming a victim of the MSM. Is it too much to just expect a little honest reporting from them?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Yes

By the way, i think soon we will come to a conclusion that we no longer have enough full-time jobs. More and more technology is able to replace human labor. It should be evident that some people, simply by doing the math, are unable to secure full time positions and thus cannot support themselves. i think we will see our social-economical structure transition to a structure that supports working less, and doing more of what you really like to do in life.
edit on 4-11-2016 by cyberjedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I am not sure how they can spin that as a positive.

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

A third of our country isn't working.

A third is just getting by.

The final third is paying taxes to support those not in the labor force.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

To me it's a case of the truth becoming a victim of the MSM. Is it too much to just expect a little honest reporting from them?

that and the fuzzy math the government uses to calculate the numbers with.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

A third of our country isn't working.

A third is just getting by.

The final third is paying taxes to support those not in the labor force.

That about sums it up.

The problem is that there simply isn't enough money in the 1/3 that is paying taxes to support the other 2/3s. Government is trying to do too much and we simply cannot afford it economically.

We also have some serious structural issues with our economy when it comes to globalism. There aren't enough high skilled, high paying jobs for everyone. However, we've essentially gutted out manufacturing base and depressing wages with low skilled illiterate illegal immigrants so those jobs can't really support the lower classes. Finally, we've allowed our businesses to ship jobs over seas for cheap labor.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
One thing comes to mind.."well duh!"

With all the manufacturing that has left the country coupled with the lack of motivation to get off welfare, what other result could we expect?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Unfortunately, yes.

Today.

Maybe as a result of the incredible upheavals going on both publicly and behind the scenes lately, that may - I stress may - change. But this is the MSM we're talking about and resistance to the status quo will be enormous.

As to the subject of the OP - a lot of people know about this problem in a general sense but it's good to finally put some numbers on it. And the problem re: people no longer in the workforce is continuing to grow.

Good find - SnF!

BTW - are you still enjoying the local kimchi or are you back stateside?

edit on 11/4/2016 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
One thing comes to mind.."well duh!"

With all the manufacturing that has left the country coupled with the lack of motivation to get off welfare, what other result could we expect?

It's cheaper and easier to be on welfare.

Medical cost went WAY up this year.

taxes on housing my area literally went up 25% this year.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

Let's not forget this "world of open borders" nonsense too! What kind of drain on American citizens paying taxes are those whom are being welcomed into this country with open arms without going thru our "legal process" of immigrating here? Not to mention the ones who HATE this country but love the FREE money!

PURE INSANITY!

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It is almost getting easier to just be a deadbeat instead of being productive.

Free healthcare, food, housing, education, etc. Yet once you start working and making a little money, they snatch the support and then you can't afford anything.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Pretty crazy/scary stuff when one looks at the true numbers.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: Riffrafter

Let's not forget this "world of open borders" nonsense too! What kind of drain on American citizens paying taxes are those whom are being welcomed into this country with open arms without going thru our "legal process" of immigrating here? Not to mention the ones who HATE this country but love the FREE money!

PURE INSANITY!

Agreed.

There are many variables that play into this and that's a big one.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Free healthcare, food, housing, education, etc. Yet once you start working and making a little money, they snatch the support and then you can't afford anything.

Isn't that what they want?

Imagine if we had a workforce that didn't need to rely on government.

The nanny-state would be made obsolete!

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Absolutely!

And I think you've hit on one of the main reasons why this problem will continue to grow unless some very *big* changes are made.

edit on 11/4/2016 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Things aren't all bad!
Taco Bell is adding 100k new jobs by 2222!

www.marketwatch.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Things aren't all bad!
Taco Bell is adding 100k new jobs by 2222!

www.marketwatch.com...

That's more embarrassing than a love story starring Kayne West. . . and Kayne West.

Industry, engineering, science, mathematics, architecture. . . etc. Nothing.

Yay Taco Bell?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

$15 an hour right?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Trying be sincere as this is one of my biggest issues with politics. I believe that we can all agree on this OP, that there's a lot of people not working. As another poster pointed out there is a different minority' supporting these poor people, the middle class. The above we can all agree on.

Now when it comes to doing something about it that's when this whole exercise goes downhilll.

But with the fact that a person becomes less likely to vote democrat for every additional dollar they earn, wouldn't it be the democrats playing the role of the poor in paragraph one and republcians that of the middle class?

So essentially democrats are the poor of our society, they consist of those who can't find gainful employment. Figure that, in an open society race to the top democrats fall short.

Yet democrats want us to follow their lead politically. They want us to believe that it is the poor people that have failed society's test who have the answers.

That is crazy. I will never follow the democrats unless my goal is to be more poor.

It's like listening to the real estate advice of the guy living on the street. It makes zero sense.
edit on 4-11-2016 by MillerTribe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

$15 an hour right?

Why not!

Seems no one cares about careers that would earn a person 80,ooo a year.

Just have everyone focus on 15/hour.

Maybe people are that stupid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join