It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass DDoS across the net

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
As scary as it sounds to some people, more of a pain in the a**e, I can see this being spun shortly into "X is attacking Y because of Z" but at the moment some of the list:

paypal
reddit
psn
etc
twitter
Netflix
Pintrest

Down.

Thought I would shout as I was about to order a kebab for dinner and use paypal....

Bored:

www.fireeye.com...

Basic threat map of attacks on the net, the big ones are overloaded but its fun to watch!

Happy hunting all!

Edit:

Seems a number of name servers are getting smashed as well as sites themselves. Would say going to be a long night but just got Now TV
edit on 3101America/Chicagokpmb2016201644America/Chicago by thekaboose because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Here you got a pretty decent overview ,

downdetector.com...

Not that your overview is bad OP , this lists the individual companies and services.
edit on 21-10-2016 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: thekaboose

Add Twitter

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Probably going to release something bad about the US government so "scorched earth" policy went into effect.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The attack is actually on one company, DYN.
www.wired.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Amazing how a handful company's hold the power to bring down the internet.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Oh lord... cloudflair... will be having to explain to clients all night that theres nowt I can do

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I was having problems this morning, then I connected to a proxy server in the Midwest (I am in Wisconsin) using PIE and I have not had a problem since, on any site. I don't know a thing about how the internet works per se, so I don't know if this is relevant. Thought I'd throw that out there though.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Belgianbeer

When major users of the internet rely upon a single service, yes, all those users (twitter, etc.) become equally vulnerable.
But the internet has not been "brought down."

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
But CNN still on ?

Facepalm

Only kidding but would not surprise me one bit 👍💵

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Thanks for the post and link.
I watched the map for about 5 minutes, is so much activity normal? Seems like every major country is hitting the US

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I'm not saying its brought down, i'm saying it would probably be possible if directed at a few companys.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Hmm..its payday and I get paid through paypal.
that sucks.
With any luck it will be up before days end.

-shakes fist at the people shaking their fist at the man

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: 772STi

Thanks for the post and link.
I watched the map for about 5 minutes, is so much activity normal? Seems like every major country is hitting the US

We need to build a (fire)wall!

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Dang! This is my busy time of year, and I have people emailing me that they're trying to place orders on EBay and I'm trying to get some postal labels out to ship my ETSY order, but they're down too!! My people need their stuff before Halloween weekend, coming up soon, so I hope this gets resolved soon.

edit on 21-10-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
DNS always has been a weak spot for being able to cripple the usage of the net as who fancies remembering 1.2.3.4 = google today but if google decide to change the network address to 5.6.7.8 then everyone's stuffed for example.

The people behind this obviously realized that attacking with a DDoS big companies these days meets pretty good counter measures so they went sideways and nuke it that way.

Theres no way of knowing who was the target of such a large DNS company but i'm sure we'll find out soon when someone starts bragging. DDoS is very much a commodity product these days as people will rent out botnets for money so someone with a few hundred and a grudge can easily take down or cripple a site thanks to loads of zombie machines.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Posted here..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

The source code for one of these types of botnets, called Mirai, was recently released to the public, leading to speculation that more Mirai-based DDoS attacks might crop up. Whether that’s the case with Dyn isn’t yet known.

Booo

Booooooo

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Dyn is a managed DNS service, or at least that's one of the services they provide.

Managed DNS is currently the best way to protect the cloud.

There's not much we can do.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
yup just tried to get on disqus and failed. lol oh no we're doooomed!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join