It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A study done on the phenomena called Mandela effect

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
A lot has been said over the last couple of months on this phenomena, from enthusiastic thoughts to mockery so my only plea here is to behave. If you can`t keep your manners, please stay away from this thread. Thank you.

So, I found a decent research paper that was done on it. The paper shows that our memory is not as falliable as people may think as it is shown by the first two control questions. Over 95% of the people recalled the correct memory in contrast to the later 'reality' discrepancies. My only issue is that the study was not as extensive as it could be. I understand that the guy didn`t have the necessary resources to do more but it should at least have been more questions, more control questions structured in between ME questions.

The other things that were mostly limited due to lack of resources are the pool number which should have been higher and tests that should instead online be performed in a controled environment where people can`t be influenced by other people or media. In other words, this way you cannot ask or google what other people remember while answering questions.

Other than that, it`s pretty convincing as far as our recollection is concerned. Best to see for yourself...

Link to study:

drive.google.com...

And to understand it a bit better you should watch the clip below where the guy explains how the study was done. It`s 2h long so better take time if you decide to watch it.

Moreover, after James Earl Jones, it seems that Tom Cruise also remembers it differently than it is presented now. Remember that both are professionals in the field where the supposed mistake was noticed. It`s piling up, how many more before we can stop calling it coincidence?

edit on 13-10-2016 by Op3nM1nd3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
All this guy has is facebook surveys, unfortunately. There's no control at all, and therefor no solid evidence to be had.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
You're supposed to behave-- I mean believe.

Durn those psyop debunkers.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I agree, but let`s hope this will convince others to do a better research on the subject.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Op3nM1nd3d

Already a ton of research done on the causes.

Misinformation effect
Confirmation bias
Misattribution of memory
Cryptomnesia
False memory
Cognitive dissonance
Confabulation

Research into these and it will explain why some fall for the mandella effect.

Also study narcissism because people who refuse to understand the reasons and refuse the fact they are fallible display narcissistic behavior.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

If that were true, then the control questions would provide us similar results to the discrepancy questions. I bet we wouldn`t have come this far as a society.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

So go on why do people believe it (Oh and I aint gonna even call a facebook test a study) do you believe it? why do people refuse to accept we and our memories are fallible?.
You do know that most of or memories are incorrect don't you?.

People want to be different and the mandella effect gives people that "I can see but many can not" it is delusional.
You show me that my reasons are incorrect and I will get back to you.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

I don't think Tom Cruise is a reliable source. He has been brainwashed by scientology.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Yes our memories are falliable, just not that falliable. Most of our memores incorrect? Well, I have to disagree because we wouldn`t know anything about ourselves and our life otherwise. We`d be stuck in the era before the discovery of writing, don`t you think so?

Moreover, It has nothing to do with being different, it has more to do with denail, if anything. Let me just ask you, have you experienced ME? If so, why do you just accept that your memory must have been wrong despite the fact that you remember it clearly? Wouldn`t you just say that you don`t remember or that you are not sure, if that were the case?

In fact, I have come to realise that actually the 'believers' are the ones who will say it first that they are not sure if they remember something correctly, if they aren`t, in contrast to 'non-believers' who will go great lengths to prove others wrong but themselves just accept what they have been told (that their memory is incorrect most of the time in this case), despite noticing discrepancies themselves.

a reply to: watchitburn

Brainwashed or not, wouldn`t you remember what the movie, that brought you 30 milions something, was called? Besides, I think the interview was done before he joined the cult.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Here is one of many links which explain what a solid study is.
unilearning.uow.edu.au...

The ME exists because I can remember what I had for breakfast.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Here a very simple video explaining.

www.newyorker.com...

science.time.com...

Yes I have had a mistaken memory I am human but I will not blame it on the mandella effect. I will accept the reality of it our brains work like this.

You are wrong but will you accept it?.

Anyhow I have put enough evidence here proving what is reality so I'm out.
edit on 13-10-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

People who "refuse" to take your opinion as gospel are narcissistic? What does that make you.

The causes in your opinion.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

Here a very simple video explaining.

www.newyorker.com...

science.time.com...

Yes I have had a mistaken memory I am human but I will not blame it on the mandella effect. I will accept the reality of it our brains work like this.

uk.reuters.com...

good luck trying to explain that one

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

Misinformation effect
Confirmation bias
Misattribution of memory
Cryptomnesia
False memory
Cognitive dissonance
Confabulation

Research into these and it will explain why some fall for the mandella effect.

Also study narcissism because people who refuse to understand the reasons and refuse the fact they are fallible display narcissistic behavior.

Very true.

In fact, the work by Elizabeth Loftus is pretty exhaustive in this regard.

Some Face Book polls certainly do not meaningfully add to the discussion.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

So you are saying that I`m wrong with certainty? How can you be so certain of that?

Here is a thought for you since I think you are a reasonable person. What if these discrepancies have been happening all along throughout history(due to the reason unknown to us) and the studies you are so eager to present to me were based on it which, needless to say, would make them invalid because not all facts were taken into analysis. Just think about it. Blaming memory is the easiest and most logical way to explain the 'mistakes', I agree, but that does not necessarily make it legit.

We are talking memories here, not something you can scientifically measure or verify. The studies are the same as in psychiatry branch. You can observe the behaviour and see the pattern but you can`t prove anything. Just look at the studies, it`s the same concept as for the ME, no mathematical equation or brain chemical readings involved.

So no, this is not evidence, at least not the kind of evidence we are talking about and that you expect from me to show you.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Interview With THE Vampire...always has been always will be.

Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles

IMDB says it, my old book copy says it, my DVD cover says it.
Someone mistakenly says "Interview With A Vampire" and off we go, it spreads like wildfire.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: fromtheskydown

Interview With THE Vampire...always has been always will be.

IMDB says it, my old book copy says it, my DVD cover says it. Someone mistakenly says "Interview With A Vampire" and off we go, it spreads like wildfire.

That`s exactly the problem here...and it is not just someone mistakenly saying it. You seem to not understand the concept of ME.

EDIT: I would like to add this clip for anyone interested in the subject. Listen and pay attention, become aware. It has nothing to do with being different and special, just being yourself, trusting yourself and paying attention to the world around you.

It is not a delusion or a falliable memory, not in this case. Submitting yourself to the collective without questioning, however, is.
edit on 13-10-2016 by Op3nM1nd3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The problem is that our memories are not that falliable. But it is not entirely infalliable.

So when we do get it wrong, we assume it must be for some reason other than memory falliabilty

This study shows just why the "Mandela Effect" exists!

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Hey there openminded. I appreciate your attempt at rational and unbiased discussion of a very interesting topic, but as you can see it is pretty much a fruitless effort on ATS for the time being. You will notice that on most ME related threads you have an abundance of the same users saying the same things.

I myself attempted something similar that crashed and burned in just about the same way. I know for a fact that there are rational and logical folks here at ATS that are interested in the topic but do not discuss it for fear of being labeled "one of them" or losing credibility. I know this because I have spoken to them privately. You would be surprised who they are as well.

It is my opinion that the people who have not experienced it first hand will always refuse to give it any kind of serious thought, or even usually be polite enough to just excuse themselves. I don't have to tell you that, you are seeing first hand. I do however think there is a way to approach it in a way that includes everyone in the conversation but I just screwed it up on my first attempt so will try again in a bit.

In the spirit of just trying to show you some support and love I hope you take a look at my thread simply to get my perspective without me trying to take over this thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also just to let you know if you happen to be in the Dallas/Fort Worth area I have started a TX Mandela Effect Discussion Group. We are actually having our second meeting this evening.

I hope you forgive my plugging those two things, I haven't done it on any other ME threads but like I said I hate to see you drowning in negativity and finger pointing and wanted to show you some love. I'll do my best to support you here on this thread but I am pretty much done suffering fools on this topic for the time being.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

The problem is that our memories are not that falliable. But it is not entirely infalliable.

Exactly, the way some people talk about it, one would think that our memories are completely falliable

So when we do get it wrong, we assume it must be for some reason other than memory falliabilty

This study shows just why the "Mandela Effect" exists!

It works both ways, I see you have figured that out. Only problem is that here we are talking about mass synchronous memory failure. Is that even possible? What are the odds? How about, in contrast, the odds that 95% of people remember something correctly?

Also, usualy when one`s memory fails, this person does not remember anything at all or is not one bit confident about the answer. I do, however, understand that there are people out there who 'know' everything at any single moment and are willing to bet their lives on it, as well as people who 'know' because somebody else told them...but I was not talking about such people.

a reply to: sputniksteve

Thanks for joining and for your support. Yeah, one can figure out very quickly how things function on here when talking about such subjects. I also agree with you and understand why people rather keep their mouth shut.

Regarding topic, I agree and have made a thread a while ago about us living in a simulation. When you are long enough in programming business, you are able to understand why it is not only possible but more like plausible. I think we, as a society, will talk more and more about this theory in the near future. It would also explain ME quite well actually.

Oh and don`t worry about hijacking my thread. I`m only in for an open discussion, nothing else

edit on 14-10-2016 by Op3nM1nd3d because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join