It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Earth - Antarctica

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I was messing around with the elevation tool on google earth last night and it seems to have been updated recently, (perhaps last night?) with some unbelievable content.

There are 1000 foot waterfalls, and strange cracks that lead to odd star landscapes? Also what appears to be a strange pyramid emanating light in all directions from the south pole?

The most obscure appears to be a circular shaped rift approximately 777 miles radius (in a perfect circle) all the way around the island.

I have been finding literally dozens of oddities on this in the last 24 hours, is anyone else seeing these too? I think I'm going crazy....

Either someone has a sense of humor at google earth, or there's some weirdness here...

Its only on the google earth version, where you can use the path tools. It does not appear on the standard web site google maps / earth version.

Also massive discrepancies between the two versions, anyone else see those? Happy to elaborate if anyone else is curious like I am!

-Alex

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: androal

Either someone has a sense of humor at google earth, or there's some weirdness here...

False dichotomy. There's another possibility. You are misinterpreting what you are seeing.

BTW, there is a reason this is called the Introductions forum.

edit on 10/5/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Interesting! Take some screens! Post! Sounds excellent! Original content like that would get you a million upvotes on reddit or something and I'd recommend somebody post an article to the front page.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I've seen better intros my friend...you should edit the post and move the other information under a different topic...welcome aboard

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Sorry, Im new at this.

First time on a forum... thanks for your patience.

How do you upload a picture? The button at the top says I can upload a picture from my library?

Sorry for being so green!

-Alex

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Trial and error mate. I figured out too that once you upload a picture there, it is an option to make it to your profile picture and also it gvives you the tags for posting it here. I agree, you put topic in wrong forum but it is a great topic and I hope to see some pics mate, maybe even go back and edit them into the original post as well so people new to the topic can see them and weigh in.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

False dichotomy. There's another possibility. You are misinterpreting what you are seeing.

BTW, there is a reason this is called the Introductions forum.

Worst welcome to ATS ever.

SMH

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JackKcaj

Ok, I got the .jpg uploaded, but when I go to insert it, I just get this little black box with an X in the right side to close it out... am I missing something? The image does appear in my library now.

Sorry for such basic questions. Thanks for being patient as I learn to navigate this thing!

Added two more, now I have three images in my library, but I can't seem to be able to get them to attach to the post.

I'm happy to edit my intro, just learning how right now!

-Alex
edit on 5-10-2016 by androal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Welcome! Sounds like a fascinating new thread in the making. You will need to at least post 5x here or on ATS, in order to start a new thread in the main forums. Looking forward to it.

Edit add: when you have the ATS reply box pulled up...look at the create symbols across the top. The far right one will assist you in embedding the picture from your library here. Just click on the tab in your reply box and then click on the picture.
edit on 10 5 2016 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

edit on 10 5 2016 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Hmm... you wrote: Just click on the tab in your reply box and then click on the picture.

What tab are you referring to?

I see the little icon next to the YouTube one on the bar that appears when I click reply, but that just brings up the little black dialogue box with a green x in it, no way to add anything in the dialogue box.

Sorry, I'm sure its me... user error!!!

Thanks!

-Alex

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I know what you are saying. The same exact thing happens to me.

Here is the workaround I use:

Go the the uploads page where you uploaded your pictures. Select one of the pictures and it will bring up some code options that look like this [~pic]tm57a8db3d.jpg[~/pic]. Save this code (I usually copy these codes into a text file if I plan on using more than one image in a post) and then paste it into your post.

Hope that makes sense.

Editing to add: The "insert an image from your library" icon next to the "insert a YouTube video ID" icon when creating a post has never worked for me. It has always just opened an empty box. This is a bug I never bothered reporting because I'm lazy and my workaround gets the job done.

edit on 5-10-2016 by primespickle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Coordinates? Nothing appears different on my google earth app.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Ok, I tried to post the pic, per previous suggestion.

Testing to see if this works, then will post more pics.

This is the image of the waterfall.

ok... looks like it worked. I think its just a glitch in their rendering software?

This is the zoomed out with the circle located almost (=/- 1 mile) 777 mile radius from south pole pyramid point.

This is the creepy pyramid emanating light from the center of the antarctic circle (south pole location)

What's weird is when you go into the top of it, you can descend waaaaaay below the ice into a starfield!!!!???

Its bizarre! but i think it might just be attributed to glitchy software. When I ponder it, it seems they are trying to render out whats actually there. Its just a sorta weird way to do it if you asked me!

Here's another pic of the waterfalls area - with elevation profile. Notice waterfall is over 1600 feet tall, falling into a 10 mile wide canyon, then rising (flowing uphill?) nearly 1000 feet. Gotta be a rendering errror?

When you start using the elevation tool hardly anything in the google earth antarctic displayed makes much sense in reality!

-Alex
edit on 5-10-2016 by androal because: updated image problem resolved!

edit on 5-10-2016 by androal because: added image

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Welcome to the forum!

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Interesting! I couldn't tell you anything about it with any certainty.

Do you have coordinates for that pic so I can get a look from other angles?

ETA: Wait, I see your second pic...that 'anomaly' is not new. Apparently google earth can show lovely stitched together images of the earth -- even though it's curved all the way around -- but at the poles, it can't. I think I read they don't have image satellites at the poles...or something like that.

ETA 2: You keep editing and adding more pics!

Also, I see the coordinates in the bottom corner of your first pic, now.
edit on 5-10-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: androal
a reply to: MotherMayEye

1st pic: The imagery date is 1998, so this is not new.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Im new too. Havent seen it yet
Back to work

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
That is where the southern Santa lives, the one that delivers gifts to that side of the equator.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

His sleigh is pulled by penguins.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Welcome to the forum! Don't be put off by Phage he don't bite.

Last I knew, and this is not confirmation, that google earth uses an algorithm to "finish" what it hasn't recorded. Draws it's own logical lines to finish a render.

Just my 2c and look forward to seeing you on the boards!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join