It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tardigrade DNA inserted into human cells gives them X-ray resistance

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   
So how long do we have until the REAL animal-Human Hybrids and gene-engineered humans instead of small things cooked up in the lab? Scientists are already talking about ethical considerations:
transgenicnews.com...
How long until something like this?
EDIT: **** it, the ATS photo upload system is crap. We should just be able to post fricken pics, gggrrrrrr

edit on 26-9-2016 by johnthejedi24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Apply the tardigrade dna to the fetus or new born child.

Now we have our space faring race.

Seriously, im getting to the point where I think human life is a test... for us.
That we have been to thick headed to understand that Earth has every single piece we need to advance in the system, we just need to evolve and evolve and discover each piece.

Instead, we squander our lives with war and politics. Pathetic. Outdone by a waterbear.

Thx for an awesome thread!

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I was reading about this a little while ago - those little waterbears are incredibly fascinating creatures.

It makes me think about human evolution and how we are now starting to become more aware and capable of our technologies and how *we* could become the intentional 'evolver' of our species.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Wow, excellent post. If any more comes of this topic, please keep us updated! Exciting!

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Excellent. If one found its way on a mars lander could it survive on mars?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   
When can i get a supplement?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: flice
a reply to: chr0naut

Apply the tardigrade dna to the fetus or new born child.

Now we have our space faring race.

Seriously, im getting to the point where I think human life is a test... for us.
That we have been to thick headed to understand that Earth has every single piece we need to advance in the system, we just need to evolve and evolve and discover each piece.

Instead, we squander our lives with war and politics. Pathetic. Outdone by a waterbear.

Thx for an awesome thread!

Or just directly code-in the repair components.

But would we just be creating a better idiot (from the concept that once you create something that is idiot proof, the universe automatically creates a better idiot).

edit on 26/9/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: Homeles
Would this protein be able to reverse certains forms of cancer?

Might decrease the occurrence of it, but once a cell becomes cancerous, a lot of changes have occurred, most of which you probably can't roll back easily.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

This protein, would be a supplement? Thats alot of waterbears to make one vitamin. Can this protein be made synthetically? If not would it be practical to produce.?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
The more I research Tardigrades the more I wish there was more info. They're probably one of the coolest critters I've found. They are like super critters.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
1. Exemplary post!

2. If they want to start injecting humans with 'protective' tardigrade DNA I am all for that! I will let other people go first and make sure it works before I do it.

3. I recently read an interesting tidbit about a native Hawaiian creation myth that says our universe was created from the destruction of a previous universe. And that the only survivors from the previous universe was octopi. So these Tokyo guys should check them out when they're done with the tardigrades...ya know, for extra superhuman powers!

edit on 26-9-2016 by ladyvalkyrie because: format

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Homeles
Would this protein be able to reverse certains forms of cancer?

I agree with Bedlam that once a cell is cancerous, it's cancerous. There's no going back.

BUT theoretically if this gene therapy were to be integrated into human DNA without any harmful unforeseen side effects (not holding my breath on that one) it would be able to protect our cells from carcinogenic agents. Maybe not completely, but better than what we've got now.

Kind of like sunblock protects from UV rays, or lead shields protect from X-rays.

Very timely work since we've screwed the ozone layer and we're all about to burn to a crisp. This is great news for the 1%.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: johnthejedi24

They made it difficult to lift this pic. But it's foolish to challenge a Valkyrie.

PS @johnthejedi24 I sent you a PM, check your inbox
edit on 26-9-2016 by ladyvalkyrie because: PS

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Humanity will gather all the solutions evolution has come up with, and select the best from biological immortality to cancer resistance to regeneration. Combined into the ultimate being, the ultimate lifeform, further through synthetic biology unevolvable adaptions will be added producing stronger, faster, smarter, a being capable of traversing the stars unhindered. A superior race of beings, humanity 2.0.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Xenogears

And only the elite will be among them as we the regular humans are left behind, and lo "the meek shall inherit the earth."
edit on 9/27/2016 by Puppylove because: grammar and spelling

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

this is truly groundbreaking stuff...

Imagine if we could develop such an efficient protection from the radioactivity.

We can finally send men to the Moon !!!!!

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
It'd be interesting to see if those proteins could repair the telomeres in our DNA. Those are the 'caps' on the strands, kind of like the hard plastic tips on shoelaces. Over time the telomeres break down from repeated replications which leads to damage of the main DNA strands segments.

Keep the telomeres healthy longer, the DNA stays stable longer.

It would be More interesting if Cancer Cells, which basically happen to be Immortal
as The Telomeres do not shorten, It would be Nice (( IF )) Humans can
Modify & Control Our Cancer Cells so that the Cancer Cells wont Kill Us ,
Yet make Us Stronger ..

Scientist are Playing with that IDEA in a way now..

Fighting cancer with cancer: an ‘out-of-the-box’ way to target tumors
www.statnews.com...

he idea seems crazy: inject cancer cells into the bloodstream in order to fight tumors. It sounds like using a flamethrower to put out a forest fire. But these aren’t just any cancer cells. They’ve been genetically modified to produce a substance that is toxic to tumors.

We would be a Chimera with Tardigrade Genes .. What Would The Factor would be ?
yeah a True X-Men as you would Say .. I would Say Humans Wouldn't be Pretty
Especially a Hybrid,,, It would Blow out Stan Lees SuperHumans Tv Series for Sure

Ohh Speaking of about CANCER and TardiGrade

These animals can provide new insights into cancer
April 23, 2016 - 06:20
sciencenordic.com...

some other related Links :

Tardigrade protein helps human DNA withstand radiation
Experiments show that the tardigrade’s resilience can be transferred to cultures of human cells.

Jason Bittel
20 September 2016
www.nature.com...

Tardigrade Genome Reveals Multiple Unique Adaptations
By Nathaniel Scharping | September 20, 2016 3:38 pm
blogs.discovermagazine.com...-qNvtQrJt8

Water Bears Are the Master DNA Thieves of the Animal World

Foreign genes from bacteria, fungi and plants may have bestowed these animals with their ability to tolerate boiling, freezing and the vacuum of space
Read more: www.smithsonianmag.com...

The More and More I see .. the More of HG Wells
Vision of Island of Dr Moreau is becoming a Reality ..

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wolfenz

We would be a Chimera with Tardigrade Genes .. What Would The Factor would be ?
yeah a True X-Men as you would Say .. I would Say Humans Wouldn't be Pretty
Especially a Hybrid,,, It would Blow out Stan Lees SuperHumans Tv Series for Sure

Conferring such abilities does not need to alter the physical appearance of humans. In fact humans will likely engineer uglyness out of the species, except as a novelty, perhaps temporary.

Untold beauty, untold grace, untold intrinsic happiness(just as some are prone to depression others are prone and have a basic state of high levels of happiness and satisfaction irregardless of circumstances they show resiliience), untold wellbeing. That is the future that is possible through advanced genetic engineering of the species, there will be those that will stand in the way of progress but history is littered with their corpses... Time and again they will fail to halt the deterministic path of the race.
edit on 27-9-2016 by Xenogears because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'm going to go eats some and get super powers!

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

suppressing or repairing single-strand and double-strand breaks by about 40%.

What will happen if they use it on a dead body , that just died ?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join