It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air force wants an A-10 wingman

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
www.businessinsider.com...
"Lt. Gen. James M. Holmes, the US Air Force Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Requirements, explained that a new light attack aircraft could be introduced that would not outright replace the fleet of nearly 300 A-10s, but instead, supplement them starting as early as 2017.

In doing so, Defense News reports that this new light aircraft, called Observation, Attack, Experimental (OA-X), would give commanders a cheap alternative to fight insurgents, compared to the costs of operating the A-10 and other fighter aircraft."

2017? Wow, that was quick.
It further reads that the OA-X companion would be used in low threat environments.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: HomeyKXTA

www.defensenews.com...

A more comprehensive article.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Im reckon they will go with something like a super tucanu , But Im thinking they already have a horse in the stable with the Rockwell OV-10 Bronco.... or even a reworking of that seems an ideal sidekick.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: urbanfox

I know awhile back there was talk about doing new upgraded OV-10's but the company wanted a firm order for 100 before they'd start production.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Could they be talking about an unmanned vtol like

Lockheed Martin´s Various

Light, for observations & attack.
I don´t believe they would give out that technology to go into war against "insurgents". Maybe they could manufacture a cheaper version without the magics.
edit on 20-9-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Ummmm....that REALLY looks like SENIOR PEG, or am I wrong here?
I think they're talking about something alot cheaper than starting from the drawing board or a composite...
I mean, expected date of 2017? Fall of 2016?
That means they're looking for something ASAP.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

The AT-6, or Super Tucano are already proven aircraft, so there would be very little development involved beyond installing US specific systems.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Ummmm....that REALLY looks like SENIOR PEG, or am I wrong here?

For that I think we need one of our experts, I just know it under this name.
You are totally right, it would have to be something already developed. Possibly an existing UAV modified with new, lighter materials that can protect the internals in a way the A-10 was doing. I'm not sure if it was Lockheed or NG who had that advertising video with self healing skin but in no way I think that is field ready and in no way it will be used before WW3, if it even exists as a proof of concept. But what do I know, I just can speculate and hope I hit paydirt somewhere. The problem is I don't know when to tell ^^.

edit on 22-9-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

No, VARIOUS looks like a scaled down Senior Peg with dual lift fans in the wings.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Something like that would be to error prone, I guess, after a second thought. What are your thoughts about that, do you think they would convert a Super Tucano to unmanned? I think I read possibly unmanned.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Unless a drone it sounds like a good way to get some pilots killed. Bound to be some old planes in the bone yard they could put guns and bomb racks on.

How expensive to crank up the P-51 Mustang assembly line?

www.boeing.com...
edit on 22-9-2016 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I´m not sure what puts in more "weight" when you make it cabable of VTOL/hovering. The fact that you can target scattered insurgents more easy, compared to a relative fast flyby or that it´s a big excercising target in the sky.

If I read this again, it sounds creepy. Because it remembers of "hunter killers" (what a dumb name) from terminator.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Sidekick could be the Thrush Archangel, or the Airtractor 802U, the armored up 802 has been flying for the CIA in South America, and used in the ME. Relatively cheap and inexpensive to operate.
www.google.com... 0.0.223.586.3j1j1.5.0.foo%2Cbruas%3D1%2Cbrapml%3D2...0...1.1.64.tablet-gws..0.5.584...0i131k1j0i10k1.c-NOr7nJGHU#imgrc=quUm2mMZfwaRIM%3A
edit on 23-9-2016 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The AT-6, or Super Tucano are already proven aircraft, so there would be very little development involved beyond installing US specific systems.

I did some work on a Piper counterinsurgency prototype called the PA 48 Enorcer, that would be a good fit. It was a turboprop (Lycoming YT 55) powered update of the North American P 51 Mustang. Four were built. 1 crashed. It would be a perfect fit - single engine, single (or dual) pilot, cheap to produce with a decent (5680 pound) weapon payload.
Or stick a turboprop on my Air Force ride, the Douglas A-1. even with its piston engine, it could carry more bullets and bombs than its own empty weight. When they transitioned us to F-4s I wanted my Skyraider back.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

Here is a site that explains a few things.

warisboring.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Why dont they just replace the A-10? Its becoming a maint. pig with its age and wear.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

Because the public and congressional outcry is insane.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
Why dont they just replace the A-10? Its becoming a maint. pig with its age and wear.

I've been on the fence about the A-10 for few years now.

The A-10 hands down has the ultimate pucker factor when the enemy hears it rip.

That alone has a huge effect psychologically on their moral and fighting spirit.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Plus, there is nothing comparable out there to replace it with.
I challenge anyone here to find an equitable replacement that is in development ,or near/in production.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

No you should scrap the A-10 and sell them very cheaply to Australia . Plus all the ammunition and spares of course . We could run 50 or so and keep them flying forever .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join