It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our phones are listening to our TV as well as everything we say!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89
Well duh!!! There is a reason you must take the batteries out of cell-phones when going into government facilities which have sensitive info.

And do you know how many modern smartphones have removable batteries ? iPhone never has, and my last 4 Androids did not have removable batteries. Interesting eh?

Did you know that when an iPhone turns off for dead battery it still has a 5% reserve ?

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny
The other day google automatically suggested I search for a word I had just said out loud, yet had never searched for. I think this would explain it. Perhaps I need to tape over my microphone in addition to the camera. Terrifying.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

One day our charter cable TV had a commercial on it said how, "now you can advertise directly to your target audience without waste."
It showed a person lying on the sofa eating snacks and on their TV was a commercial for sports cloths. Then there was a person exercising and fit and the commercial on their TV was for junk food.

The commercial was suddenly cut unfinished and I have not seen anything like that again. I think it was supposed to be sent out to advertisers and not shown on our cable TV.
How can they offer this to their advertisers unless they know what we are doing? If I lay on the sofa eating chips, they must somehow know to send the junk food commerical to me?

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Oh my god I thought I would test it . So I got off your thread and said to my phone and myself "what dog food should I buy" I don't even have dog. Then I opened a new thread and up popped a dog good ad.
Freaky shizel.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

This has been active for some time.
Peeping Tom's profiting off your personal
lifestyle and ideas.

The "cloud" needs to know
Everything about you.

S&F

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster
Oh my god I thought I would test it . So I got off your thread and said to my phone and myself "what dog food should I buy" I don't even have dog. Then I opened a new thread and up popped a dog good ad.
Freaky shizel.

Do you mean you only said it out loud, or you used a voice search? Any search being used for targeted ads is 100% normal. Well, WAS normal, apparently as of recently, there is a new norm...

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

No I said it out loud. Like I was talking to someone nut no one was with me just myself and my ph.

XL5

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I don't own a smart phone or a smart TV, no wifi anything (except ps3 controller), no skype or siri. The cellphone I do have has no apps and is used maybe once every 4 months. I had a mic on my computer, later I disconnected it for this very reason. The only devices I have that can do this are my cellphone, computer, router, voip router, ps3 cable box and maybe the smoke alarm that is hardwired in my apartment.

I don't get results every time so testing it would be very time consuming. If you wanted to test it, first, take the battery of of your cell phone or wrap it in foil and put it in the microwave (don't press cook). Then unplug every device and say something common but unique that can be sold and that you have never searched for, that is your control. Then plug the computer in and browse for 2 hours to see if an ad appears. If not, repeat turning a single device on for each test. My bet, it is either the computer or the cell phone.

What ever the case is, you can bet that they are not just looking to sell you something. This is what they probably meant by "chatter". What you could try if you really wanted to dick with them is make a hitler speech run in a loop and run it through headphones and then stick the cellphone inbetween. You could also get 10+ friends together and put all their phones on a table and recite/chant parts of the Koran, then see who visits you...

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   
And thats the reason why people shouldn´t use 1984 style Telescreens aka spyPhones!

Several years from now and those spyPhones lead killer drones to you, if your thoughts about TPTB are not TPTB compliant.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
and my family reckons Im a nutcase giving out as little info as I can when on the computer or phone.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
Does your sister have a smart tv? The article says the devices are communicating and likely they are both yours. But ok you say it was your sisters tv. Do you both share the same wifi or same billing?

Not a smart TV for sure, it's a fairly old flatscreen, and no we dont love close at all. But from what I've been reading it's just as I suspected; it's done by an ultrasonic audio tag that humans can't hear, but your phone and tablet will recognize the tag and then advertise related items/services.

Here's more info: www.makeuseof.com...

And more info again: www.cnet.com...

www.bbc.com...

www.fox5dc.com...

Facebook is using smartphones to listen to what people say, professor suggests

www.computerworld.com...

edit on 18-9-2016 by 8675309jenny because: Additional links

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   

I saw this posted years ago as a capability.. what's new? .. the same things seem to get recycled as headlines here... this has been posted as a thing as far back as the early 2000s ..

Same with webcams and windows xp
edit on 9/18/2016 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   
On another site that I frequent there has been a thread on this about google & others listening and targeting ads at us.
This is not a conspiracy site at all but there have been dozens of people posting anecdotal evidence of instances where they've had conversations on the phone and then had adverts targeted on their phone or laptop.
Many people started off skeptical and said it's coincidence but there were some very compelling cases of this.
I find it terrifying to be honest and it seems that The Dark Knight was on to something when they floated this idea.

This was posted also, very interesting.

Google voice search records and keeps conversations people have around their phones – but the files can be deleted.

LINK
edit on 18-9-2016 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
If your phone is rooted there are apps out there that allow you to disable the microphone when you're not in a call and they'll ask permission when it tries to "turn itself on" randomly. That's way beyond the capability of most smartphone users and a real PITA to find let alone install even if you're good with tech things.

What I personally find creepy is that actual calls are listened to for keywords as far as I can tell. For example, I had a conversation with my grandmother a few weeks ago. I mentioned that I find doctors to be totally irresponsible with the prescribing of narcotics. I've been on Xanax and/or Klonopin for roughly 2 decades and when they stop working correctly there's nooooooo problem just upping my dose and frankly I don't like it and don't want to be on them anymore.

I said it's obvious that my body has been dependent on benzos for almost as long as I've been on them and mentioned my new doctor's willingness to use the Ashton Method (switch to longer acting, higher median dosage benzos with a slow taper) and how excited I was to finally be on the way to coming off of those damned things. Get off the phone, go to google to look something up for work.... Every ad has nothing to do with my query but with addiction treatment centers, detox and malpractice lawyers.

It had never happened before that. I've never looked anything up on my phone, let alone the network I was on, along those lines. Ever. After that I decided to buy a Blackphone 2. Now the maker's parent company seems to be just barely keeping afloat and the future of the Silent OS and Blackphone are uncertain but honestly if privacy is a major concern, that's the way to go for a phone of you're not interested much in tech.

Otherwise, everything to do with the privacy of the Blackphone can be added to any Android device separately. It's just so damned convenient to get it all at once with no need for manual setup.

As for smart TVs... Screw that. My fiancee and I recently decided to buy a house in a much more rural area than our current suburb and decided to price all furnishings and add it to the sale price of the home we're interested in (complete start over, long boring story but imagine trying tostart over from scratch) and the TV shopping portion was a friggin nightmare. If you want something over 40" that's made by any kind of reputable company and doesn't have "smart" features.... Good luck. It ended up taking a massive amount of searching and about 2.5 weeks to find a "dumb" HDTV made by a known brand. It's disgusting what these electronics companies are getting away with.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Somewhere there are actually a couple of threads discussing this, this is something I noticed a while ago, it may have been about Facebook being involved in this as well, in an old thread around here somewhere, I told everyone how me and a co-worker were talking about a former coworker then all of a sudden this person mysteriously appeared on our people you may know list. We tested it by discussing something that happened to me back in high school and I mentioned the names of the people involved in the situation, and low and behold, later that day they were on the people you may know list. So yes it is listening to everything we say, now keep in mind that these things were discussed while the phone was in our belt clips, and I use Android and I rarely use voice search because on Android phones have Swype keyboards, which is just the coolest feature.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Best thing to do is... switch everything off when you are chatting/having an evening in with wife/girlfriend/friends... even when you go out, switch off your phone once you are at your place of choice.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: miniatus

I saw this posted years ago as a capability.. what's new? .. the same things seem to get recycled as headlines here... this has been posted as a thing as far back as the early 2000s ..

Same with webcams and windows xp

Yes people have postulated about the potential for this for a long time, however this thread is about actual observations of it happening.

And blatantly obvious at that, not even trying to hide it at the CONSUMER level, not covertly or by law enforcement etc

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
What kind of "chilling effect" do you think this might have? In my opinion this isn't strictly about gathering information, it's also supposed to be intimidating.

Well, f*ck you guys I don't have a smartphone! And put this in your pipe and smoke it: we're gonna hang your asses sooner or later, just wait, the grim reaper is calling.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

There is a solution to lock your phone down that dose work well, know as “D-Vasive”

D-Vasive operates in a unique way, allowing you complete control in managing your internal hardware. So that way, when a potential malicious application tries to open your Camera, Mic, Bluetooth or WiFi and spy on you, D-Vasive lets you know, and lets you completely lock them down.

dvasive.com... (main site)

twitter.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Maybe from purchasing the information gathered from the store where you shop via your clubcard/storecard? I'm sure these stores sell the information and by analysing this I am sure anyone can predict and influence your choices too.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join