It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrest Warrant Issued For Journalist Amy Goodman After Covering Dakota Access Pipeline Protests

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Arrest Warrant Issued For Journalist Amy Goodman After Covering Dakota Access Pipeline Protests

On September 3rd, Journalist Amy Goodman of Democracy Now! filmed security guards attacking Native American protesters with dogs and pepper spray. The footage was widely covered, garnering significant negative press for the Dakota Access Pipeline company. Now, an arrest warrant has been issued for Goodman, charging her with criminal trespassing, a misdemeanor offense.

“This is an unacceptable violation of freedom of the press,” Goodman said in a statement posted to Democracy Now! “I was doing my job by covering pipeline guards unleashing dogs and pepper spray on Native American protesters.”

Please see the video as shared by the OP article. As it also shares Cody Hall was Jailed and denied bail. Which was said to be highly unusual action towards a protestor. As of yet none of the hired personnel have been charged.
Quoted:

Clearly a violation of the First Amendment... by silencing media coverage.

As those following this know Jill Stein(Green Party) had charges filed against her as well. From what I'm seeing, Goodman isn't going to buckle down. Journalists are being unfairly treated for covering news that needs to be shared.

Haven't been well enough to fully cover/share the events of this. Thanks to those who have. Figured this needs to be discussed due to affecting freedom of press overall on top of people's livelihoods and should not be infringed.

Many props to the protestors. For those remaining on the site and dealing with this-such as above, stay diligent.
edit on 13-9-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2016 by dreamingawake because: added video info

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

The suppression of Our Freedom of the Press, Freedom of Speech, etc, is getting way out of control. Disgusted is all I can think of for how I feel about it all...
The incident shown here has 'Them' blatently out of line. Charges should be brought up against them all. Doubt I will ever see that though...
Good Thread. S+F! Syx

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
So much for the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” That amendment applies everywhere, and to officials at every level of government—even those serving in Morton County, North Dakota.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Has the feel of false flag all over it.

Don't get me wrong ... the people with the dogs, the people who employed the people with the dogs ... they're bad guys.

But, when you can see the outcome of events so clearly ... you've got to start wondering where you can get your very own copy of the script.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

Does the COTUS apply on Native Lands???

I'm definitely not trying to excuse these pieces of sh*t at all...
I'm just genuinely curious.

Hopefully this pipeline plan falls through...
The natives don't want it and rightly, if it's on their land, it's their resources.

No way the Federal Government should be allowed to muscle it away from them.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

She edited the video there was no dog bite it was faked for the camera. The protestors went on to there property to attempt to stop the construction of an access road. Ot isn't Indian property it's owned by the company and that's why it's trespassing. Jill Stine supposedly spray painTed a vehice don't know how true that is. But she is charged with destruction of property.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

It isn't on the Rez, that's true...

But, from the link in the OP:

In July, the Standing Rock Sioux tribe sued the Army Corps of Engineers over the permits granted to the developer, which put a construction site a half a mile upstream of the tribe’s reservation boundary. The tribe says that a spill from the site would be culturally and economically catastrophic, and that it endangers sacred sites and their drinking water

I'd be a little upset too, if I depended on that river for my water.

As for the arrest, expect many more and, to the protest, expect it to build if the company gets the go-ahead.
edit on 13/9/16 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
She was criminally tresspassing.

A press badge is not a free pass to commit crime.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: gmoneystunt

Does the COTUS apply on Native Lands???

I'm definitely not trying to excuse these pieces of sh*t at all...
I'm just genuinely curious.

Good question. I think this is right. Anyone feel free to elaborate if I am wrong

Indian Civil Rights Act (1968)
With the passage of the Indian Civil Rights Act (ICRA) in 1968, also called the Indian Bill of Rights, Native Americans were guaranteed many civil rights they had been fighting for.[6] The ICRA supports the following:[7]

Right to free speech, press, and assembly
Protection from unreasonable search and seizure
Right of criminal defendant to a speedy trial, to be advised of the charges, and to confront any adverse witnesses Right to hire an attorney in a criminal case
Protection against self incrimination
Protection against cruel and unusual punishment, excessive bail, incarceration of more than one year and/or a fine in excess of $5,000 for any one offense
Protection from double jeopardy or ex post facto laws
Right to a jury trial for offenses punishable by imprisonment
Equal protection under the law and due process

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
She was criminally tresspassing.

A press badge is not a free pass to commit crime.

Please see above, thanks a reply to: masqua

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I did say to expect more arrests.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

None of this happened on the reservation.

The protesters were on private land not the reservation.

The pipeline was never planned to go on reservation property.

Goodman was illegaly tresspassing on PRIVATE land along with the protesters. They were repeatedly asked to leave or face prosecution. They chose to stay.

Now they are facing the consequences for their choices.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Yeah, If journalists were told not to enter or leave then it is trespassing.

The U.S. Supreme Court has not yet considered whether the media have the right to follow news onto private property. Lower courts that have examined the issue have rendered widely varying opinions.

Reporters do not have a right to knowingly trespass just because they are covering the news.

Journalists need to take care to get the proper consent from the appropriate people.

Courts differ on what kind of consent to enter is required. Some courts have stated that the owner's silence alone is enough to imply consent. Others have found that police permission is sufficient if the owner is not present and cannot be asked for consent.
www.rcfp.org...

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Well, Amy's not exactly alone, is she? That's why I say expect more arrests.

Over the past month, thousands of protesters, including Native Americans from more than 100 tribes across the country, have traveled to the North Dakota Standing Rock Sioux Reservation to block the Dakota Access Pipeline from being built.

www.commondreams.org...

The Threat
The pipeline is being built near the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation near Cannon Ball, North Dakota. The tribe says the pipeline disturbs sacred sites, infringes on past treaty promises and tribal sovereignty, and is a significant danger to their water supply since it passes underneath the Missouri River — the main source of water for the reservation. An earlier proposal had the pipeline crossing the Missouri north of Bismarck, but authorities were concerned about the risk to the capital’s water supply in the advent of a pipeline spill.

Yeah, passing it under the Missouri River might be safer, but if a break happens under the river, do you think it’d be an easy fix?

Bismark got them to change the location, but a half-mile upstream from the Rez is just perfect, right? After all, they lost the Indian War.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

How about charges on those goons for attempted murder and felonious assault

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

All of these protestors, supporters and people like Amy Goodman and Jill Stein are absolute hero's for bringing this criminal behavior to the attention of the world.

The treatment of Native Americans in this country amounts to a continuing genocide, with the utter destruction of their culture and the never ending destruction of their land.

It makes me sick and it is time that Americans own up to their past crimes that persist to this day due to total apathy and outright ignorance!

edit on America/ChicagoTuesdayAmerica/Chicago09America/Chicago930pmTuesday9 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

We are country that now arrests journalists doing their jobs, and whistle-blowers.

Big Brother is here.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt
So much for the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” That amendment applies everywhere, and to officials at every level of government—even those serving in Morton County, North Dakota.

That’s unless your a native American or other known minorities then you get a Dog to bite you in the mouth or neck

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Gotta agree, DB.

Duterte knows how to handle journalists, as does Putin, Little Kim, Mugabe and a whole raft of other goddam ruthless dictators.

Is that what America wants? Just talking heads that spout whatever garbage the gubmint wants?

I don't think so.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Our government needs the living sh1t kicked out of it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join