It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One thing that ATS has taught you

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
There is obviously a plethora of information available in the various forums and posts on this site. From physics to the metaphysical, from JFK to Jay-Z, from Members to Mods, there are thousands of discussions and personalities active here at any given moment. The possibilities are endless when it comes to learning from ATS. The one overarching thing I have learned here is not to trust myself. Let me explain.
We all have an idea of who we, as a person, are. We believe that we know ourselves, we believe that we know certain things, and we believe that, at the end of the day, this is ourselves. Our reality. But through my interactions here, I have learned that I've ultimately learned nothing. Now, my view of who I am is suspect. What I think I know is the first place I look to find things wrong before I make a post.
Not that I'm saying this is a negative thing. I'm just more conscious of my own personal shortcomings. And my own biases when it comes to what I think I know. It has taught me, above all else, a measure of humility.
What have you learned here?

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

I've learned there are more douche bags on ATS than one previously believed possible.

But there's a lot of nice people too, they know who they are.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Through my interaction and exchanges on ATS, I have become so aware of when people are lonely, afraid, sick and depressed because those feelings usually manifest themselves as anger and turbulent emotions; Failure to use logic and resort to bullying tactics and win at all costs in a discussion.

Wait...this thread will eventually prove my point.
edit on 5-9-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Yeah, I can't argue too much with the point.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Unfortunately, yeah, probably.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Even Fundies can grow and change...

I've been surprised on many an occasion

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Anyone is capable of change.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Once upon a time i believed that... but in the past few years i've learned some people don't have that capacity

Unfortunately it almost always involves religion

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

That certainly is one of the hardest sticking points people have.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I learned that people will jump to conclusions, put words in your mouth and judge you based on a few words or paragraphs.
A heated discussion and you are as said above "a douche bag"
So I have learned, judge thy self.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

What has ATS taught me?

It has taught me that ATS is a lot life in general. It is easy to hate, it is easy to dismiss. It takes an effort to care to understand. It takes an active act of will to be humble and humane.

ATS has taught me that no one is perfect.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy

That Nelson Mandela really didn't die in the 1980's.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I've learned that being a skeptic is a good thing, as long as a person doesn't hold on to their own judgements and not allow new information to be considered. Confirmation bias is baaad, m'kay.

edit on 5/9/16 by argentus because: spellin'

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
Confirmation bias is baaad, m'kay.

Was that a sheeple joke?

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I learned consequence .......

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Group think is very real and that social engineering is often a corrupt avenue.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

I've never really taken the Internet too seriously, but I do have to admit that I have, on occasion, felt bad for upsetting people on ATS. Which is kind of hard for me to do because I am a borderline sociopath. Not saying it to sound sympathetic or bad or whatever. It's just a fact of my life.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
How to be more discerning on posts and people.

Not to believe everything you hear.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Well, i dont take my self serious.. I provoke, curious, dig, rabbit hole.. I learned how evil people can be, when they are cornered..

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

I make it a point to not make people feel cornered. Deny ignorance, yes. Deny ignorance at the point of insult and degradation, no. But that's just me. And people find a variety of things insulting. It's a matter of paying attention to the conversation on deeper levels than just the words. For me, at least. I don't choose to judge how anyone else interacts here. Just myself.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join