It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planetary Engineering

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
a reply to: Vector99

Actually it really does not matter the point is we find a way to reduce the amount of radiation to Venus to 0% and so what is the result?

That's actually the topic.

But but, the point is we cannot. If you think there is a way to block all solar activity towards a planet I'm all ears, and so are millions of educated scientists.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I am not suggesting we could do this today but could one day.

To be clear it is somewhat silly to suggest that we today cannot generate a hologram that mimics solidity.

edit on 19-8-2016 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I am not suggesting we could do this today but could one day.

To be clear it is somewhat silly to suggest that we today cannot generate a hologram that mimics solidity.

Bro, a hologram is simply a projected image. We could generate a hologram the size of Jupiter and it would have zero effect on solar activity.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Again the topic is to find a way to block all solar radiation from reaching Venus and such technology would be under our direct control.

So while that issue is offered obviously that would not be the only way to do it.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

So while that issue is offered obviously that would not be the only way to do it.

It's the only one you've suggested. And no, holograms don't work that way.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Again the topic is to find a way to block all solar radiation from reaching Venus and such technology would be under our direct control.

Well right now there is no way to do such a thing, hence why I said it would be much more feasible to warm up Mars.

If you have an idea of how to cool Venus, let's hear it! FYI, holograms will not work.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

the problem with Mars is of course gravity and the means of generating a thicker atmosphere would take a really long time.

I propose creating a structure designed for the very purpose of manipulating the amount of solar radiation Venus receives.

The way I understand it doing so would cool the planet to whatever temperature we desire and at which point we can begin to introduce whatever is necessary to make Venus more like Earth.

Say we blocked all solar activity for 100 years?

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

It would probably be real expensive in relation to the means a hologram is generated to make it appear solid but otherwise not certain what you are referencing specifically.

But for the sake of discussion I have offered a point and for the record did not post this to argue any specific point.

What would Venus be like if we found a way to cut of 100% of the radiation it gets from Sol for 5 years?

edit on 20-8-2016 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

Ok, let's contemplate this. We block all solar radiation and emissions from reaching Venus for 100 years. Do you think that is enough time to terraform a planet? 100 years is a human lifespan given best odds.

So we blocked everything the sun does to venus, now how do we stop venus from doing it's own thing? Solar activity plays a role, but quite minimal, in the aspect of planetary existence and composition.

Let's look at our own planet for instance, when a major volcanic event takes place, it can completely change the atmospheric composition of the planet itself. All that happened was the planet burped. We have absolutely zero tech to control such things on earth, so how could and would we project ourselves to make such drastic changes on a completely hostile environment. One we know little to nothing about. We cannot even send landers there, they literally melt.

Imagine it this way, turn your oven on, and do not turn it off. Wait til it heats up to temp, and try to cool it down, but you aren't allowed to turn it off. How long would it take you to cool your oven?

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Ok so we begin by finding a way to introduce a thicker atmosphere to Mars a planet that once had an atmosphere near that of Earth but lost it all to the conditions inherent to Mars.

As far as our own planet we have the issue that ended the reign of Dinosaurs where conditions made it ideal for much smaller animals to survive and later evolved.

As far as how hot Venus is today the effect of no solar radiation will affect its mean temperature over time.

Much less time than it would take to deal with Mars.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

It isn't solar radiation that keeps venus hot.

As far as our own planet we have the issue that ended the reign of Dinosaurs where conditions made it ideal for much smaller animals to survive and later evolved.

So the answer is throw a big rock at venus?

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

No the answer is to turn Venus into the equivalent of an Extra-Solar Planet temporarily and then add to that. While in control of the extent Venus was exposed to Sols radiation as a whole.

It would cool as a result and I do not see the point where that would not occur faster than we can effect Mars in consideration.

I would personally like to go beyond the idea of "throwing a big rock at Venus".

That would be a relevant point to this thread.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   

No the answer is to turn Venus into the equivalent of an Extra-Solar Planet temporarily

How? We simply do not have that tech, and by the time we do we will be travelling to extra-solar destinations.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   

That is what I am asking?

As far a tech to extra-solar destinations Venus's environment at present is effectively Sterilized.

I mean finding an earth like planet with plants and animals, an obvious problem comes to mind.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

We simply haven't got that far in our technological advancement. We are more likely to reach our nearest star system before we have the ability to terraform.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

That depends upon what we are focused upon.

www.dnalc.org...

In finding an Earth like planet where atmospheric conditions are equivalent the above link would be one of our least concerns in relation to mutations.

Modifying a sterilized planet equal to Earth and like Venus would be a more effective use of our resources.

At least it seems that way to me.

edit on 20-8-2016 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TommyD1966

If you can figure out how to do that, I'd first sell that technology on this planet - you'd make a bajillion dollars (roughly).

We already have that technology, its called algae, trees and plants.

edit on 20-8-2016 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Unfortunately that stuff would literally vaporize on Venus.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Venus is a lost cause in terms of terraforming. Even if the planet were cooled to a habitable temp, the composition of the atmosphere would be poison to humans.

There is not a single chance in hades that we will be making venus earth v2.0.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

So if radiation from Sol is rendered to 0% that would not cool it down substantially like in a year?

No it wouldnt in space anything Cooling down takes a long time. The main reason is there is nothing to transfer the heat to. I guess in theory if you could wait a million years or so yeah we could. But remember you are blocking also the main venue of removing heat from a planet namely the solar wind.this is acomplished by the atmosphere being removed into space. This is called jeans escape basically this is heat lost from a planet in the case of earth for example lighter elements can ecape like hydrogen and helium because they require less energy to get them to speed away from say earth. Things like distance from thr sun and gravity also effects the amount of energy needed. For example titan a little tiny rock compared to day mars yet mars lost its atmosphere and titan retains one. It's distance from the sun means less energy and thus less energetic particles.

But to answer your question blocking the sun wouldn't have any significant impact on Venus unless your very patient and of course your shield didn't break down within the next million years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join