It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another federal court has told the DOJ to stop harassing medical marijuana providers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
As one who has often referred to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals as the 9th "Circus" Court of Appeals, I'm very happy to give credit where credit is due... and it's about damn time!!!

Yet another federal court has told the DOJ to stop harassing medical marijuana providers

A federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that the Justice Department cannot prosecute medical marijuana businesses if those businesses are in compliance with applicable state laws.

I would have preferred that the court had ruled against the Feds in accordance with the Constitution -- specifically, in terms of the commerce clause, states' rights, and individuals' rights; instead their ruling was based on an act of Congress:

In 2014, Congress passed a bipartisan measure, known as the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment, prohibiting the Justice Department from using federal funds to prevent states from "implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession, or cultivation of medical marijuana." The agency interpreted the measure to mean only that it couldn't stop state governments from carrying out their medical marijuana laws — not that it couldn't prosecute cases against individuals or businesses in those states.

The Justice Department's interpretation infuriated the bill's sponsors. Last fall, a federal judge issued a scathing rebuke of the DOJ, saying that its reading of the bill "defies language and logic," "tortures the plain meaning of the statute" and is "at odds with fundamental notions of the rule of law."

Such gross misinterpretation of laws by Fed agencies is nothing new -- especially under Obama. Much the same happened with the BLM (Bureau of Land Management -- not Black Lives Matters) and the EPA and the FWS. On the plus side, this court decision has set a very valuable precedent which can be and hopefully will be applied to other federal agencies.

It's long past time that this crime against all humanity is brought to an end. This court ruling gets us one step closer.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
There needs to be legislation created to punish the federal agency people doing these things with 20 lashes with a whip when they butcher the law and manipulate it like they do for political purposes, and it should even include the president. Of course it won't happen, but it would put a permanent end to these abuses.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

I agree completely. As long as there is no accountability and no liability for these abuses of the law -- and the PEOPLE! -- it will continue.

What really sets my hair on fire is that we can be criminally charged for any perceived transgression against a federal agent, regardless of their transgressions... while they are given a free pass when they abuse the public.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
im confused....

The DOJ has asked the DEA (who answers to Congress...i.e, the bills "infuriated sponsors") to reclass MJ. The DEA has refused, citing all sorts of baloney and codespeak for "the corporatocracy wants to get richer".

In this article we have the DOJ doing the opposite of what its request to the DEA would intimate, and the leash for the DEA being "infuriated" over it.

Ok...nothing to see here, folks. Just more evidence of the right hand and the left hand colluding to screw The People over.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
im confused....

You? Confused??? I'm not buying that for a minute...

The DOJ has asked the DEA (who answers to Congress...i.e, the bills "infuriated sponsors") to reclass MJ. The DEA has refused, citing all sorts of baloney and codespeak for "the corporatocracy wants to get richer".

In this article we have the DOJ doing the opposite of what its request to the DEA would intimate, and the leash for the DEA being "infuriated" over it.

Ok...nothing to see here, folks. Just more evidence of the right hand and the left hand colluding to screw The People over.

Aha! I knew it!!! No confusion there

That's about it. They've got their version of "good cop/bad cop" down pat complete with all the faux outrage and indignation we would expect... next we'll hear about an "investigation"... that will ultimately go nowhere.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I wish this society (I refuse to call it a civilization) would have the guts to sit down and discuss why exactly SOME people are afraid of OTHER people changing the way they think, if only for a few hours...**

And why are these same people terrified of a simple plant that has been a part of human society for millennia? And how DARE they put people who possess or use this plant in cages to 'protect them from themselves' alongside violent criminals, ruining their reputations and ability to support themselves in the process, thus making it inevitable that a large percentage of them will end up having to further resort to the drug economy to make ends meet, thus perpetuating the entire scheme to criminalize a broad brush of the population.

Any day now in lieu of more ginned-up distractions about who can use what bathroom, I'm expecting tomatoes to be outlawed because oh-noes they're in the nightshade family and may be poisonous and worse yet, they might be the apple in the Buy-Bull that Eve took a chomp out of and we can't have that, because faith and god said something to someone once upon a time.

**Because our whole economic system based on 40-40-40 might collapse, that's why. Work for 40 years, 40 hours a week only to retire on 40% of what you needed to live on before. People who smoke realize it's all a scam and the people who don't smoke are good little sheep and will dutifully taze and imprison the unsheep, because .... flag and stuff.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

Star for the 40-40-40 description.
Never seen it put in words before.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

You're welcome. I stole that

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I don't know how these people look at themselves in the mirror knowing that they're #ing with cancer patients.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

im confused....

I think this is just a case of the flaws of the compartmentalization of government.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

im confused....

I think this is just a case of the flaws of the compartmentalization of government.

It's not a flaw, it's a feature.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
dp
edit on 17-8-2016 by SentientCentenarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

You make so many good points. And it's still just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Criminalizing cannabis has created so many more problems than it solved... especially since it hasn't solved even one problem! The punishment is worse than the crime... the cure is worse than the disease... the (purported) end just doesn't justify the means.

The real criminals are those who deny people the medicine they need -- and which is given freely to all by Nature's God. That is a crime against humanity.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedDragon
I don't know how these people look at themselves in the mirror knowing that they're #ing with cancer patients.

I'm afraid the dollar signs dancing before their eyes get in their way of seeing the pain and suffering and even death that their actions cause...

It's so very telling... and so very chilling.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

AMEN!🤘🤘🤘

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Come on, KS, some folks worked real hard to create those design "flaws" to be exploited and loopholes big enough drive their Mack trucks through... give them the credit they deserve!

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SentientCentenarian

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

im confused....

It's not a flaw, it's a feature.

No it's just a part of a government when it gets big enough. All governments have this problem. From the most benevolent to the most authoritarian.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

The only man I hold responsible for marijuana being illegal is Harry J. Anslinger. If I knew where he is buried, I'd go desecrate his grave. I LOATHE that man from the bottom of my being for effectively birthing the precursor to the War on Drugs. Everything else that followed involving marijuana was just politics.
edit on 17-8-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Like so many things as of late having a hypothetical tone to it the cannabis topic is not exempt either

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The only man I hold responsible for marijuana being illegal is Harry J. Anslinger.

He definitely bears the brunt of the blame... he had help though...

If I knew where he is buried, I'd go desecrate his grave.

If/when that day comes, let me know and I'll carry your implements of destruction... You can do more damage with both hands free.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join