It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary and Trump Threads/Election - Getting Old Fast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Does anyone else feel they are in a living Jerry Springer episode?

I've been on ATS for a decade and have seen election threads and arguments, in regards to elections, but this time around it is mind numbing. Election threads seem to be taking over the headlines on ATS and I find myself reading them less and less. The worst part is how people are addressing each other. Are we a reflection of our leaders?

The disregard for empathy, honesty, compassion and integrity have gone right out the window. It appears that just getting the job done, or our opinions across is all that matters, but after a while who is really listening?

The examples currently being set by the leaders of our country for young people to follow are despicable at best.

When the amount of chaos and corruption is so overwhelming it makes people lose their grip on reality, it really is a time to take a step back, and reboot, or else TPTB/leaders will think it's OK to continue down this path.

Sometimes I think it's all engineered to make people short out.

For those of you that actually think this current MO is normal I ask you to review something called "Natural Law" The term Natural Law is stated in the Bill of Rights and the US Constitution, something many government officials seem to be wiping their backside with.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

natural law n. A body of principles that are considered to be inherent in nature and have universal application in determining whether human conduct is right or wrong, often contrasted with positive law.

natural law n - (Philosophy) an ethical belief or system of beliefs supposed to be inherent in human nature and discoverable by reason rather than revelation 2. (Philosophy) a nonlogically necessary truth; law of nature. See also nomological2 3. (Philosophy) the philosophical doctrine that the authority of the legal system or of certain laws derives from their justifiability by reason, and indeed that a legal system which cannot be so justified has no authority

nat′ural law′ n. a principle or body of laws considered as derived from nature, right reason, or religion and as ethically binding in human society.

May we all find our way down a peaceful path,

RT

edit on 16-8-2016 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

You say Jerry Springer, I say Twilight Zone. lol I made a thread a few weeks ago to take a "break" from the politics - at least they give us enough golden material to make fun of them
Comedic Relief from the Politics (Photos)

I agree, it's too much

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

And I've been thinking Lord of the Flies...

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
All hail the mighty Sock Puppets.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
They don't bother me...It is, after all, the heat of a major election. There is PLENTY of other content available...and one can always post their own thread about any other subject one wishes.
Threads aren't Threats.
Tired of politics?---Post or join a thread on something you're in the mood to discuss.

What's the big deal?

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
They don't bother me...It is, after all, the heat of a major election. There is PLENTY of other content available...and one can always post their own thread about any other subject one wishes.
Threads aren't Threats.
Tired of politics?---Post or join a thread on something you're in the mood to discuss.

What's the big deal?

Yep.
I saw a thread about ancient man just the other day.
There is an ongoing thread for cat lovers, of all things.

That's the thing about ATS, no one forces you to click on a thread.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Threads aren't Threats.

What's the big deal?

Yep.

It has very little to do with clicking on threads. I think you missed the entire point of the OP, but this is exactly what I was eluding too.

It's more about how people are behaving and responding.

And btw this is the rant forum, lol

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

It is the election season,and there is quite a bit of controversy,so yes this would tend to be the topic,kind of like when school is out in here,things get odd then they soon go away

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Here's another way to look at things.

If any of us here on ATS were to do the things that either Hillary or Trump has done, or the way they continue to act; How long would we last before being banned here on ATS?

The problem is things have gotten so bad, in the real world, we are justifying bad behavior.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I don't necessarily disagree, and I think you are on to something with intentional incitement, but I think we get a glimpse into who people really are under the increasingly diminishing thin veneer of social niceties.

In a way, its kind of a refreshing break from the passive aggressive needling/baiting, thinly veiled disrespect, and the feigned ignorance of peoples own behavior.

I guess I see it more as an honest glimpse at who people really are, rather than a rise in behavior that didn't exist before. We also get a clearer look at just how deeply the bias and cognitive dissonance run.

I mean, we have two horrible candidates that under any other circumstances would be seen as such. Yet, due to the situation, we see people from each "team" holding up their side as some sort of paragon of human excellence. Its gone from voting against someone to outright support. Psychologically predictable, but no less unproductive.

Its becoming more and more like cheering on a sports team, replete with blind allegiance and heavy double standards. I suspect that as the nation continues down this dead end trail, the broadcasting will start to reflect this as well.

All that said, humans have been horrible to each other for millenia. I don't see that changing any time soon, if ever. Though, there seems to be a technological hard limit, where we will be forced to either evolve socially or destroy ourselves. I don't think its that far off either.
edit on 16-8-2016 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

I don't necessarily disagree, and I think you are on to something with intentional incitement, but I think we get a glimpse into who people really are under the increasingly diminishing thin veneer of social niceties.

In a way, its kind of a refreshing break from the passive aggressive needling/baiting, thinly veiled disrespect, and the feigned ignorance of peoples own behavior.

I guess I see it more as an honest glimpse at who people really are, rather than a rise in behavior that didn't exist before. We also get a clearer look at just how deeply the bias and cognitive dissonance run.

I not going to disagree on any of your well thought out points, because we are on the same page.

What I will add is the fact that majority are driven by fear and by ego's, this gives little room to enjoy what one already has, and even less time for the family unit.

We seem to disconnect everyday more and more, because we are conditioned to believe that we need more material things, and people to rule us, because we can't make up our own minds.

Who knows maybe this is all playing out for a grand awakening, and we'll all come to the universal decision that we don't need leaders, but to actually live our lives, while enjoying it at the same time.

Thanks again for you insightful input.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Blame Trump since he can't NOT be in the media spotlight. He gives them so much to report they can't keep up sometimes.

That said, I couldn't agree more! By now, no matter what thread is created those who support Trump will never stop supporting him and the same goes for Clinton supporters and 3rd party supporters so let's slow down with all the election coverage because it is mind numbing and all the arguments in these threads are repetitive.

Too much election crap, like Clinton being physically unfit, and less and less substance!
edit on 16-8-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

originally posted by: butcherguy

Threads aren't Threats.

What's the big deal?

Yep.

It has very little to do with clicking on threads. I think you missed the entire point of the OP, but this is exactly what I was eluding too.

It's more about how people are behaving and responding.

And btw this is the rant forum, lol

I know this may seem a bit weird but bear with me a moment. This is NOT an attack on you or your OP.

This argument can be indirectly summed up by what butcher said. First, although this election is certainly more controversial even than Obama vs Romney or McCain, there is little difference now than elections going all the way back to the 1700's. I think it gets more virulent over time with advancing technology, "awareness," and population. I'm a huge fan of presidential biographies and even looking at back in the days of Andrew Jackson, Van Buren, and beyond, the insane partisanship, name-calling, baiting, and attacks occurred. So sadly, yes it IS our MO as a people to be rabid and disgusting.

People take sides, are biased, and again, back in the old days, would duel and kill each other over political disagreements.

Now to what butcher said.

In a roundabout way, 'not clicking the thread' is actually a pretty solid solution. At least the mindset of it is. Why? Well let's make an imaginary thread here.

I am a Trump supporter (I'm not really Hillary OR Trump but I have to choose a side to make my little argument)

I start a thread on the greatness of all things Trump. Someone comes in from the Hillary camp and attacks each argument with belligerence and personal attacks against me, the OP. I come back and say, "see what liberals do EVERY time?"

Now, two threads down is a Hillary thread on all things Hillary. A day earlier, I went in there and blasted each argument with belligerence and with personal attacks against that OP. That OP then says, "see what conservatives do EVERY time?"

It goes on and on and on and I can remember from my earliest election cycle (first Clinton election)

So the reason I agree with butcher, to a point, is that the population is generally belligerent. I'm no hypocrite, I've done it too. I am not by any means saying that nobody should ever enter into political discourse or conversation, but think about what happens NONSTOP in these discussions. People argue, make little relevant points, and get belligerent. This serves only to further entrench the "opposition" in their biased position.

So again, I am not suggesting we never talk about it, but butcher has a point in that maybe what we really need is some damn self-regulation and control.

If you think about it, your point is that the voices of media or TBPTB, etc, are manipulating and controlling us. I 100% agree. But we need an addition to that statement and I will put it in a form of a question.

What good is any manipulation scheme without weak minds that ALLOW themselves to be manipulated?

Again...no hypocrite here. I know these to be true because damn....I have fallen for it before. I place a great deal of blame on the people for refusing to be truly aware and looking into what is actually happening. I know stupid shows like the Kardashians soften minds and I know it sounds rude to say, but we do not HAVE to fall prey to this.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero

What good is any manipulation scheme without weak minds that ALLOW themselves to be manipulated?

Again...no hypocrite here. I know these to be true because damn....I have fallen for it before. I place a great deal of blame on the people for refusing to be truly aware and looking into what is actually happening. I know stupid shows like the Kardashians soften minds and I know it sounds rude to say, but we do not HAVE to fall prey to this.

That is a very good point, people seem to fall prey to the propaganda, and react accordingly, so yes easily brainwashed. It's not a slight against people that are reacting, but more like a friendly sign saying "Do you think you are getting caught up in the drama, and being led?

Our ego's seem to not want to admit we are part of a brainwashed loop, nor feel that we are wrong in any circumstances. When people lose their manners, get angry and in a reactionary state, no on is listening except their egos.

But yes the old adage about "don't click on the thread" is a no brainier, but my OP wasn't about clicking on threads or not, but rather the way things are transpiring on many levels here on ATS, MSM, and how people are reacting these days.

Definitely not the typical election cycle.

And for the record I have stop clicking on them altogether now TMI.

edit on 18-8-2016 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Personally I think that's pretty much what ATS is right now: Hillary vs Trump.

It is a US presidential year after all, but I do seem to remember that last time (2012) there were plenty of other things to distract us from having nothing but the elections to talk about. It was after all, 2012, the dreaded "End Of The World" year.

So, using the Way Back Machine, I went back and looked. Here are some screen shots.

Here is the Most Recent threads on this day back in 2012:

Now here is the Recent Threads screen shot I just took:

Only see one "election" thread in the way back machine....and the present shot we see 3.

However, to be fair, if I could zoom out the present day screen shot, it would be 8 threads about either Hillary or Trump.

Here's the top topics for August 18, 2012:

And for today:

Yah....big difference, wow.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I think it depends on what day you take a screenshot.

Last week, I can't remember what day it was.... But just out of curiosity (and poops and giggles), I counted all of the Hillary/Trump/US Election threads on the first page of the "recent posts" page... And I kid you not, I literally counted a total of 32 threads out of the 48 total threads sitting on that first page (before you reach the bottom and open up another listing of threads as you continue scrolling).

32 out of 48 threads for crying out loud.

It's mad I tell ya... mad !

*takes a deep breath and continues rocking back and forth in the corner of her padded room*

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
*takes a deep breath and continues rocking back and forth in the corner of her padded room*

Shhhh, Spongy, Shhhh. Here, have a sip of Crown Royal and relax.

*puts on some George Clinton who trumps many other artists*

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ahhhh... Crown Royal.

My rock in a storm.

*puts on some George Clinton who trumps many other artists*

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

Guess that's better than 1,000 camel spiders.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Today I came on hoping to find 95% Trump/Hillary threads, unfortunately it's only 90%.

We are slipping, so I'm logging off for the day in disappointment.

edit on 22-8-2016 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join