It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rio 2016 Olympics

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
OK so I just lost my voice screaming for the Aussie girls in the 4 x 100 heat.

I know I am also a yank now, but I will never be able to barack for the states in the pool...sorry!!

What sports do you like watching at the Olympics?

Swimming would be my favorite.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Just finished watching the ruggers (Rugby!) of first the USA losing a disappointing match to Fiji and then found myself cheering for the Aussies as they won 53 nil against Colombia.

And yes, rugby is one of my favorite sports, following only fencing.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

Yes Love the Rugby!

Australia is just too good there hey?

It's interesting to watch it all from a US perspective. New experience for me

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I enjoy the gymnastics!

Less popular, I'm sure, favorite of mine is basketball women's and men's.

But that's one of my favorite sports, in general.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I loved Gymnastics as a kid , Nadia Komanichi FTW !

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Mary Lou Retton also.

She had that 'terrible' and yet endearing nickname.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I like to see most of the lesser watched sports. Gymnastics especially.
Tennis, golf and basketball don't belong in the Olympics in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

And soccer.

I agree the big dollar sports don't need their time in the limelight there, they get enough year round.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Perhaps they don't, but since they are, I enjoy it.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well the Olympics were originally made for "big dollar sports", but then again in ancient Greece they were for seeing who was the best warrior through war-like sports (thus running, wrestling, and throwing). Oh, and to ensure fairness, clothes were not allowed (to show that the athletes were not hiding anything).

But I'm just glad that they haven't started putting in things like horse racing yet.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Maybe if those sports were played by amateurs again I would watch.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

You are correct. Tennis, golf and basketball are quality sports that have no business being included among the likes of table tennis, air pistol shooting, dressage and the countless other obscure "sports" that are part of the Olympic games.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
"But I'm just glad that they haven't started putting in things like horse racing yet."

No, just horse dancing. (dressage) There is also an event called "eventing", I kid you not.
edit on 8 6 2016 by Tuomptonite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I love swimming, artistic gymnastics, and rhythmic gymnastics. I'd like to watch the trampoline events but I have never caught them on the TV :/

ETA: Also synchronized swimming!
edit on 6-8-2016 by ValentineWiggin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Tuomptonite

There are some stinker sports for sure.
The biggest reason I don't like the money sports is because the Olympics is not the highest goal of those athletes. Any golfer would much rather have a major win than a gold medal.
Same for basketball and tennis.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I stay away from Football, Tennis and Rugby. I love these sports, but they do not belong in the Olympics, neither does Golf.

I have just finished watching the team Archery and what a sport that is. You certainly have to have a good eye, along with a strong arm and steady heartbeat. Now this is a sport I don't follow, only at the Olympics and it had me admiring the all round requirements of it.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I agree somewhat..

But the women's side of those big sports don't get enough attention. I love soccer, but I do not enjoy watching the men play..they are for the most part all glory hounds,looking for there moment..

The women on the other hand , play with tenacity, and teamwork, and I find there technical play much more sound..

These women need this exposure to further fund national leagues. They don't get paid nearly enough for the time and dedication they put into the craft.

I find it really disrespectful and sad the way hope solo is being treated by the crowds down there..

She expressed concern over the health risks of zika . Because she plans on,having children after her career. And now the crowd boos loudly every time she touched the ball.
When she takes goalkicks or distributes the ball in anyway they yell "Zika!" In unison.

Here is a woman who spent her life working towards this moment, and playing damn well, and, looking good doing it. Being completely disrespected by ignorant disenchanted angry excuses for human beings..

Hater's gonna Hate I guess..

« Hugs our goalkeeper»

You're doing great hun, keep it up!

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I just now stumbled upon a womens rugby match, USA vs Columbia. Had no idea that women played this sport. I must say, these women are incredible! The USA team appears to be far superior thus far, as they look much faster, stronger and athletic. I know very little about the sport of rugby but I think this is a sport I could get into following.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tuomptonite
I just now stumbled upon a womens rugby match, USA vs Columbia. Had no idea that women played this sport. I must say, these women are incredible! The USA team appears to be far superior thus far, as they look much faster, stronger and athletic. I know very little about the sport of rugby but I think this is a sport I could get into following.

It's a fantastic sport, but it is 7's and it is a much faster paced version of the original game, which involves 15 per side.

Still, it's good that you have taken an interest in the sport.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
In an unexpected fashion, the Australian Women's team is leading Germany 2 to 1 live right now!

Wow!
Thirty minutes left for a Huge upset!

Whoo go Australia!

~meathead

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join