It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few good quotes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I've listed the author if I have them. Some of these quotes are anonymous.
Feel free to share any favorite quotes, maxims, or adages you may have.

No amount of logic can satisfy someone with an insatiable hunger for the irrational.

An ignorant person does not hold opinions; the opinions hold them.

In our universities, the most learned academics are the least popular. The most opinionated are the most popular.

Strive to do your best, even when you dont know what youre doing

Learning is not a lost tradition. Teaching is a lost art

One must be sane to think clearly...Tesla

The very meaninglessness of life forces man to create his own meaning... Stanley Kubrick

It's the people who are curious who change the world... Neil deGrasse Tyson

Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others...Buddha

We are punished by our sins, not for them...Elbert Hubbard

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need... Marcus Tullius Cicero
A good garden may have some weeds.

The dissolution of thoughts into eternal awareness. Pure consciousness without objectification. Knowing without thinking. Merging the finite into infinity. This is the purpose of meditation... Voltaire

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
one I live by....

Look around the table, if you don't see the chump....it's you!

Amarillo Slim

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

"You don't conquer your demons. You fight them everyday" (my friend Evo, a Marine told me this when we struggled with recovery together)

"He who angers me commands me" (one of my favorites, my grandmother Lovie used to say it)
edit on 28-7-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

We are punished by our sins, not for them...Elbert Hubbard My favourite one

The first three seem like an attack on conspiracy theorists. S+f anyway

I will add : Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by
abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."
edit on 28-7-2016 by WhatGoldStandard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Ahh but if your the only one at the table you are always the chump. I prefer eating alone, I would hate to feel like a chump.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
“It is an interesting and demonstrable fact, that all children are atheists and were religion not inculcated into their minds, they would remain so”. - Ernestine Rose

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: WhatGoldStandard
a reply to: olaru12

Ahh but if your the only one at the table you are always the chump. I prefer eating alone, I would hate to feel like a chump.

I think it refers to a poker table amigo....

uno mas.....

The beautiful thing about poker is that everybody thinks they can play. ....Chris M.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Some Douglas Adams quotes:

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

And one from Baudelaire:

It is the hour to be drunken! to escape being the martyred slaves of time, be ceaselessly drunk. On wine, on poetry, or on virtue, as you wish.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

But religion still originates from someone somewhere. Whether that is divine calling or maybe a smart persons plan to control is opinion.

I agree though

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” - Oscar Wilde

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: WhatGoldStandard

The first three seem like an attack on conspiracy theorists. S+f anyway

I don't think they're meant to be. There are some brilliant conspiracy theorists out there.
I think the quotes' authors are slamming people who stubbornly hold to religious and political dogma.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
My father told me when I was young ... Love many, trust few, and paddle your own canoe. I have never ever forgotten those words.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: paytaplay
My father told me when I was young ... Love many, trust few, and paddle your own canoe. I have never ever forgotten those words.

A quote from my father at my high school graduation.....

"Here's fifty bucks...I don't know what you are going to do, but you ain't gonna do it around here!"

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
-Charles Mingus

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join