It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montclair Times Life Currents: Psychoanalyst Janice Cohn discusses adult temper tantrums

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
www.northjersey.com...

The Montclair Times frequently reports on altercations that occur during public meetings focusing on education and other matters. Are these angry outbursts (or more subtle temper tantrums) an inevitable part of human nature when there is passionate disagreement about important issues, or does this sometimes cross an unacceptable line?

Many of us have had the experience of trying to deal with an adult who is having a temper tantrum. It may be our boss, our lover, a relative or a neighbor. What can we do to help that person and protect ourselves from the brunt of the anger?
Following are some suggestions:

• Don't let yourself be bullied. When people are having a temper tantrum, their need to bully is in direct relation to their feelings of impotence. Giving in to people's unreasonable demands won't stop their temper tantrums.

• Don't let yourself be defined by other people's difficulties with temper tantrums. Recognize that their behavior does not make you a victim, unless you allow that to happen.

• Never permit yourself to be denigrated - even in the interest of keeping the peace. Such behavior does not keep the peace, it simply encourages more denigration.

• Make every effort to disengage yourself from an irrational argument. Logic will never prevail when you are dealing with someone in the midst of having a tantrum. If you find that you are locked into a relationship with a person who has temper tantrums, it might be helpful to explore what role - if any - you might play in this scenario.

I've been noticing this type of scenario becoming ever so prevalent in modern society, and it's highly bothersome.

In my Opinion, These Adults were never taught how to control their emotions, to calm down when they're fired up, and how to release
the madness. Often times they end up releasing it onto their loved ones which is painful for those who can't understand the outbursts occurring.
What would you do? I think discussing it calmly is wise, if the other party wishes to do so. Otherwise, walking away may be the only thing to do
in such a case as this.

What do you guy think? Would you put up with this type of behavior from your Partner/Friend/Politician .. hmmm

edit on 7/25/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

The more we let temper tantrums become normal in adult society the more we will see them.

When we let people become "offended" over anything they disagree with, this is what happens.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Yes i should have added, the liberal agenda has had a huge impact on our way of life as well.

The past 12 yrs or so have become a nut house. It's somewhat surreal watching it, to be honest with you.

From a distance of course.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Lucky you. I'm stuck in the thick of it working with students at a university.

But I agree, today is far different than it was just a few years ago.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Lucky you. I'm stuck in the thick of it working with students at a university.

But I agree, today is far different than it was just a few years ago.

Ouch, that's gotta be painful. I hope Trump makes it stop!
Society is very close to falling off the proverbial cliff right now.
edit on 7/26/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Society is not. American politics maybe so.
But let's not change the conversation away from adult temper tantrums.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Society is not. American politics maybe so.
But let's not change the conversation away from adult temper tantrums.

Actually... I already did, in my OP.

I've been noticing this type of scenario becoming ever so prevalent in modern society, and it's highly bothersome.'
Society is like watching fish swim back and forth in sync. The subliminal entrancement if you will, gouging into the very mind of Man. It's not pretty watching it, or experiencing it.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
These Adults were never taught how to control their emotions, to calm down when they're fired up, and how to release
the madness

If you think it's bad now, wait until the world is run by all the idiots who were led to believe they deserve "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings".

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Adult temper tantrums? I have never witnessed something like that. Might be a cultural thing, I guess.

And we have waaaaay more liberal laws than in the USA :-)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

I often wonder if it's a cia experimental brain wave via radio towers thing sometimes. Or that mixed with highly technological brain washing via Media and other devices.

Scary stuff going on..

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
Adult temper tantrums? I have never witnessed something like that. Might be a cultural thing, I guess.

And we have waaaaay more liberal laws than in the USA :-)

Oh please....LOL.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

you hope trump makes it stop?

that's about the funniest thing I've ever read. I see him as one big temper tantrum.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I know the author of this article.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie

you hope trump makes it stop?

that's about the funniest thing I've ever read. I see him as one big temper tantrum.

I saved that one special just for you, glad it made you laff

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I know the author of this article.

Do you really, how interesting, very cool! How do you know each other?

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Friend of a friend. They are both therapists in Montclair which is one town over from me in West Orange (where the mutual friend also lives).

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I enjoyed reading the article and wanted to post here.

Thanks for sharing Augustus

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Yeah, she is a very good therapist. So is my friend who works mostly with girls with eating disorders.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

That has to be one of the best things I have ever seen! On the OP, I took away an 18 year old's cell phone while at work the other day. Unbelievable! This "adult" acted as if a baby that had not received milk at the proper time. The thing is, I sympathise with the baby. Snap chat and twit-ing are apparently are a sh!t-ton more important than getting the job done these days
!

I also sympathise with the panda.
edit on 7/27/2016 by Tundra because: Panda.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join