It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why American's "gun culture" makes us different when it comes to "gun control"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Been reading a lot of firearm threads today. I happened to come across a comment to an article on another thread on another website.. I copied and the more I thought about it the more I liked it.

There is a common theme from the non American members of this site to lambast the US on our "gun culture", gun ownership, gun control or lack therof, etc. It tends to build a wall between American's (usually gun owners) explaining their feelings and non-American's questions (particularly why the US is "different" about this issue). The more I thought about this comment the more sense it made.

I wish I could take credit for this but it's good. I'll just leave it right here.

"It's all about power. America is the only nation to consider We the People as it's sovereign, and the government our servants. This is a huge problem for statists because We have more guns and gun owners than the ten largest armies in the world combined. This is by the Founding Father's design.

The United Nations is not made up of people from around the world. It consists of governments from around the world, the enterprises meant to control the people of the world. Gun-control is an evil and draconian way to control these people as it reduces the common man to the status of herd animals. This is why governments propagate it. Gun-control does not make you safer (unless you are a criminal), it makes governments safer."

You may disagree with the 2nd premise but I thought the first was pretty poignant.

edit on 22-7-2016 by SrWingCommander because: structure.

edit on 22-7-2016 by SrWingCommander because: grammer

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SrWingCommander

That's pretty good

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Hit the nail right on the head.
I have never heard someone explain the base principal of the situation in a more clear and concise manner.

Now we just need a way for Americans to understand why our two party system is a sham.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: SrWingCommander

"It's all about power. America is the only nation to consider We the People as it's sovereign, and the government our servants. This is a huge problem for statists because We have more guns and gun owners than the ten largest armies in the world combined. This is by the Founding Father's design.

Wow, what a slap in the face to all of those of us in other countries that democracy and representative government take as the core of our system of government. Calling us statists? What hubris.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I don't care for guns, though I have several.

I don't target shoot. I almost never practice shooting.

But, I will defend anyone's right to own a weapon.

And, if you break into my home...I will blast you straight to Hell.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
I will defend anyone's right to own a weapon.

If you break into my home...I will blast you straight to Hell.

Good enough for me, brother.

I like inspiring threads like this one.

ETA: It's not the Wild Wild West anymore, but everyone who hates guns wants to make it sound like it is. The problem with guns pretty much limited to the thugs that have their hands on them. The cops in New York had this (probably un-Constitutionally) worked out with a little bump followed by a quick pat-down. Yeah ... that was racial profiling, but it was saving the S# outta black lives. Who's got a problem with that except the thugs who wanna stay in power there in the hood.

S&F

edit on 2272016 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

love it, simple as that.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure.

This isn't old timey rhetoric, it is the truth for all forms of government. We're long overdue and we are seeing the consequences of allowing government to go unchecked for so long. People think BLM are bad? That's only a tiny amount of the pressure being released.

Of course it doesn't have to be literally bloody. There are plenty of ways to readjust nonviolently and restore power to the people. Yet, it doesn't look like that is going to happen so we see increasing amounts of violence done in the name of justice and perceived systematic oppression.

The 2nd amendment is power for the people. Simple as that. The bureaucrats are meant to be scared of the people, not the other way around. Are we afraid what a politician might do if they have power with military force? If yes, time to refresh the tree of liberty.
edit on 22-7-2016 by VivreLibre because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Great thread, I was about to pull my hair out if I heard one more euro member tell US we've got a 'problem' while they sit idle, waiting on the next stabbing, axing, explosion, mass rape or shooting from the people who all ways ignore their anti-gun laws, criminals and terrorists.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Good post and I totally agree.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
When people start using the 2nd amendment to justify taking a gun with them on their Pokemon thingy, then I think we can certainly see the mentality of a proportion of gun owners.

But, keep on carrying them. The U.S have 300 Million plus citizens. How many gun killing were there? People kill people, people are very strange, biological beings. Some are not wired up to deal with the compliance of everyday life, yet they are allowed to carry a handgun.

It's a mad place America, but as long as you don't start swimming over, enforcing your beliefs on us, then I respect your right to carry.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I think having the freedom to choose whether or not to own a gun is even more important than actually owning one.

edit on 22-7-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
It's because the founding fathers liked to hunt, nothing more. Crazy righty

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

This is why governments propagate it. Gun-control does not make you safer (unless you are a criminal), it makes governments safer

Last I checked soon as you get shot dead in the US, you automatically become a dead criminal. Even if it was self defense. And those who don't have a gun are just shot dead, and labelled dangerous. More dead people from cops shooting them than there are terrorist attacks. Nope, doesn't sound safe.

Your rights have been stripped away and you've been left holding your guns. The only time guns will ever protect you is in a SHTF scenario. Thats it, and if it gets that far you already lost.

Holding on to guns as a distraction, allowed them to take away livelihood (number in jail, highest in the world), liberty (your gov bails out banks and broken corporate systems), and the pursuit of happiness, (4th amendment and other rights gone).

The founding fathers would not think this is America. They probably would've removed the 2nd if they knew it would be used against you as hard as it was. And when it comes time, the mindless drones this heavily manipulated country has produced are probably just going to use them on each other. Total fail all around.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
the swiss have a gun culture, we have a murder culture

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

You should probably check again then.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: metatrope

Wow, what a slap in the face to all of those of us in other countries that democracy and representative government take as the core of our system of government. Calling us statists? What hubris.

You do understand that a statist is a person who supports statism, right? And that there are Americans who are statists?

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

edit on 22-7-2016 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mr Headshot

It's because the founding fathers liked to hunt, nothing more. Crazy righty

The Founders probably thought The British might come back to reclaim The Colonies, and wanted the population armed and ready if they did.

I don't think The Founders had it in mind that U.S. ciitizens would use firearms to actually kill each other.
They must be turning in their graves.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join