It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey Suspends Convention On Human Rights Following Failed Coup

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
From this news, and other reports it appears that the situation in Turkey
is far from resolved, and is moving into dangerous times for the people.
Concerns of executions, torture not just for the coup plotters but
ordinary citizens....

“Turkey will suspend the European convention on human rights insofar as it does not conflict with its international obligations,” the deputy prime minister, Numan Kurtulmus, was quoted as saying by the state-run Anadolu news agency.

The three-month state of emergency, approved by parliament on Thursday, will allow the government to rule by decree, passing bills that have the force of the rule of law unless they are overturned by parliament, www.irishtimes.com...

And reports that there will be executions -

Turkey abolished the death penalty in 2004, but now President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says he will consider executing coup plotters www.bloomberg.com...

Erdogan Wont Rule Out Executions
www.cnn.com...

Perhaps this is why they have suspended the Convention on Human Rights,
so they can execute a mass amount of people in dissent?

Accusations of torture:

There is a deafening silence about torture in the international response to the attempted Turkish coup. This will suit President Erdogan.

Even before the events of the last seven days, torture was a regular feature of the government’s approach to managing political dissent. Now more than ever, Erdogan needs to be reminded of his international human rights obligations and the damage he will inflict on Turkey’s future if his crackdown looks like that of his Syrian neighbour Bashar al-Assad. www.independent.co.uk...

Reports are coming in with grave concerns from Journalists; other
reports coming in of ordinary people being removed from their jobs.

The move follows the attempted coup on Friday. Military and police personnel, as well as thousands of civil servants and teachers, have either been arrested or removed from their posts since the failed coup www.firstpost.com...

More links as they are coming up...

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

Journalists are warning they are very concerned, and there will be
little to no way to cover this from here on out.

The Association of European Journalists, an independent professional association of journalists in Europe, expresses its extreme concern that freedom of expression, including the essential freedom of the press, is liable to be severely endangered after the announcement by the Turkish government that it intends temporarily to suspend its obligations under the European Convention on Human Rights while maintaining a state of emergency in the aftermath of last week’s failed attempt by elements of the army to take over the government.

We cannot fail to note that the Turkish authorities have arrested and jailed scores of journalists in recent years, including several cases this year, on sweeping or ill-defined charges, including terrorism-related charges, which have been seen as failing to meet international standards of law and judicial procedure. Already this week more than 20 TV and radio stations have been forced off air, some newspapers have been forcibly taken over, and many accredited journalists have had their press cards taken away citing national security reasons. hetq.am...

We have the US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen in the middle of this somewhere.

There is a also a White House Press briefing, which is disturbing.

less than a week ago, some elements of the Turkish military launched attacks against those democratic institutions that resulted in significant loss of life. So it’s certainly understandable that President Erdogan and other government officials are going to take steps to get to the bottom of what happened. The Turkish people have an interest in accountability, particular for those individuals who conspired to attack the democratically elected civilian government of Turkey.

www.newsroomamerica.com...

So...the current administration is going to stand by watch this and not condemn?

edit on 22-7-2016 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-7-2016 by ATSmediaPRO because: Fixed title

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: burntheships

The coup may have been crushed, but the paranoia is just beginning.

Mass arrests, round ups, inquisitions. Secret interrogations, torture and murder going on behind stone walls.

"Who are your cohorts? Confess!"

In that stead the coup plotters have started Erdogans demise by his own hand.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

He is going to torture and murder anyone who has said anything bad against him.
The EU has to act he has to go If one person is harmed.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Show trials of the 50,000"Coup"Plotters to follow.If this man wasn't a dictator before he certainly is now.ByRemoving judges,police prosecute ect.he's basically reshaped Turkish society to his now obvious Islamic Goal.
This can only bring more instability to an already unstable ME.NATO has to be concerned about this loose cannon.I'm sure Israel is.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

In that stead the coup plotters have started Erdogans demise by his own hand.

Indeed, by way of sacrifice of life.

And the with the U.S. position on this, how
could Obama back Erdogdan with any integrity?

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

He is going to torture and murder anyone who has said anything bad against him.
The EU has to act he has to go If one person is harmed.

From the looks of it, your right. Reports of teachers being removed,
that is scary stuff. So much for Turkey becoming a member of the E.U.

Interesting times for sure, foreboding times.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Is NATO so weak and desperate that they are now content to accept allies like this? this says as much about NATO as it does about erdogan and Turkey.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61
he's basically reshaped Turkish society to his now obvious Islamic Goal.
This can only bring more instability to an already unstable ME.NATO has to be concerned about this loose cannon.I'm sure Israel is.

More instability, and more ISIS.
Seeing the pattern definitely.

And something really stinks here.

Lots of questions, and yes Israel better choose wisely
in this U.S. Election.

edit on 22-7-2016 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

(post by DrJehovah removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

And the with the U.S. position on this, how
could Obama back Erdogan with any integrity?

Do you have more on that position? My hackles got raised when they discussed ousting him in the public eye back in the early part of this year. Then again when Obama and Cameron ignored him at the most recent summit in Poland.

Earler this year, (erdogan must go)

More on erdogan and washnington (RT)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

be concerned about this loose cannon.I'm sure Israel is.

Israel and Turkey are pretty close partners. They are trying to mend their ties right now, but I give you one thing...... Those ties are largely through the Turkish military top brass, so yes there might be concern right now.

Saying that Israel is sitting pretty right now. All their neighbours are killing themselves, they are all committing suicide through civil strife, Israel grows during this, population and economy doing well while its military gap from the enemies grows generations in advance and the population live in relative peace and prosperity. Let's face it, Turkey by destabilising the ME through its terrorists has helped Israel beyond their wildest dreams. Israel has also get to keep the golan Heights too thanks to this Turkish back hander as no Israeli government will ever give up such an advantage while the Arab world destroys itself.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: burntheships

he's basically reshaped Turkish society to his now obvious Islamic Goal.

More instability, and more ISIS.
Seeing the pattern definitely.

And something really stinks here.

More ISIS indeed. I believe Erdogan fancies himself the head of the New Islamic Caliphate. It's been less than 100 years since the demise of the Ottoman empire and the Caliphate that lasted nearly 1,000 years before collapsing. The Muslims haven't forgotten their own history and this move by Erdogan plays to their sense of pride and historical importance, something sorely lacking since the European powers unwisely carved up the Middle East in a politically convenient fashion.
Americans are fond of speaking of the "good old days". To the average Arab the good old days were when Muslims were united under the Caliphate and not broken up by artificial and Western-contrived divisions.

ETA: Looking further down the road I could see revolutions and coups coming to the Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia in particular. It would greatly benefit the scheme of a new Caliphate to have their oil under Erdogan's control. This could spark conflagrations all the way from Morocco to Malaysia, well within the realm of possibilities anyway.
edit on 22-7-2016 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
Is NATO so weak and desperate that they are now content to accept allies like this? this says as much about NATO as it does about erdogan and Turkey.

It´s more than that, the west made himself open to be blackmailed by Erdolf. Erdolf made himself a little Ghaddafi, depending on the refugee situation. Now the west, europe is feared of the next refugee stream that will come. The only question is, will it be educated people from turkey that arrive here because they left Erdolfistan, or will Erdolf just open every refugee camp and the routes to western europe, maybe paying the journeys for all of them?

It´s more than a shame that the fear of refugees makes Europe blind and deaf for what´s happenening in Turkey.
How fast the west can be with sanctions against russia... But they, especially the US and the NATO, need Turkey because of geopolitical reasons, for oil reasons, for war reasons.

What would have happened if it was not Turkey under Erdolf, but Russia under Putin with that fishy attempt of a coup???
edit on 22 7 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I mentioned loose cannon because of past instanceseveral such as the Palistinian supply boat to Israel,the Russian jet shootdown,alleged assistance to ISIS and now the highly exaggerated number of coup plotters.
As sad as Obama's position on the coup is,it could be worse if we had over his main political enemie residing here to him.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Do you have more on that position?

Yes, I took that from the White House Press briefing this morning.

White House Press Briefing 7/22 With Josh Earnest

less than a week ago, some elements of the Turkish military launched attacks against those democratic institutions that resulted in significant loss of life. So it’s certainly understandable that President Erdogan and other government officials are going to take steps to get to the bottom of what happened. The Turkish people have an interest in accountability, particular for those individuals who conspired to attack the democratically elected civilian government of Turkey.
www.newsroomamerica.com...

My hackles got raised when they discussed ousting him in the public eye back in the early part of this year. Then again when Obama and Cameron ignored him at the most recent summit in Poland.

Yes, something's up with that. Also ties to Hillary Clinton there,
a peek of what may to come if she is installed.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

More ISIS indeed. I believe Erdogan fancies himself the head of the New Islamic Caliphate. It's been less than 100 years since the demise of the Ottoman empire and the Caliphate that lasted nearly 1,000 years before collapsing.

From all appearances, and everything including historic reference,
you are spot on. And seems the West and the E.U. have not learned
the lesson, or maybe they have, and yet pursue another goal of
more control over the ME through destruction so a greater force
can be installed.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Poor Erdogan, he couldn't keep the infiltration of Syria, theft of oil by ISIS and the attacks on the Kurds quiet enough.

His first mistake though was shooting down that Russia plane. Ever since its been a down hill 'expose' spiral for him. Wondering also what the Bear has to do with the coup...?

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Wondering also what the Bear has to do with the coup...?

I was wondering that too, if you find anything on it,
would like to read up. Trying to wade through dozens
of articles to find little bits of truth.

This one is very interesting ( its not about Russia however)
www.al-monitor.com...

If there is truth in that, ISIS is already well in.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptrIt's called "cleansing of the inteligencia". Mao-Zedong did it with his glorious revolution, but in the end the Ottoman empire or the Caliphate are doomed to fail as no matter how the rulers want their little countries to control their populations sooner or later progress will catch them up.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Show trials of the 50,000"Coup"Plotters to follow.If this man wasn't a dictator before he certainly is now.ByRemoving judges,police prosecute ect.he's basically reshaped Turkish society to his now obvious Islamic Goal.

Night of the Long Knives, 2016

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join