It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest torrent site's owner arrested, Apple data crucial to investigators

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Ukranian national Artem Vaulin was arrested and charged in Poland on Tuesday for his involvement in the "KickassTorrents" (KAT) site. The arrest concluded several years of investigation, and encompasses two counts of criminal copyright infringement, conspiracy to commit criminal copyright infringement, and a money laundering charge stemming from his purchase of legal content from the an iTunes media store.

Largest torrent site's owner arrested, Apple data crucial to investigators

I don't even know where to begin...?!

The owner of one of the biggest sites dedicated to piracy (music, software, movies, etc.) were caught after he made a legal purchase in the iStore? How is that for irony?!

And then after Apple refused to help the FBI in the case about security and a terrorist (where actual human lives might have been at stake), but this time round they actually helped the FBI...

And how stupid is a person that is in hiding from the authorities to use Facebook? Really?

While I shed little tears over the demise of KickassTorrents - what they do is after all illegal. The whole affair is just a bit W.T.F.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It seems that if you want to be safe never buy anything always use piracy. But this does show how much TPTB are keeping an eye on us

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf
In the USA they will put you in Jail for listening to music you did not buy (where little goes to the artist I might add).

But for Bankrupting a Nation and Waging War based on Lies you remain on your Plush Bottom Throne.

edit on 21-7-2016 by ugmold because: addition

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

A point to make, the sentences handed out to these people (being at the expense of the tax payer of course) is completely out of touch with reality, I mean murderers and rapists get less time than people involved in online piracy. I would also suggest that one of the main reasons why people turn to illegally downloading torrents is the price of the products, which is also extortion

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Are there really people that still use torrents???
Idiocy declines never, as it seems.
Thought that crap is dead.

But if idiocy would decline, we never would have so fasntastic laughs about the not so much thinking people on earth, there would be no torrents anymore, no facebook and all that...

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Well if he didn't INTEND to commit copy right fraud.

What can they say ?

All he's gotta do is use the Comey defense.

He was 'extremely carless' and 'unsophisticated'.

Case closed.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

A point to make, the sentences handed out to these people (being at the expense of the tax payer of course) is completely out of touch with reality, I mean murderers and rapists get less time than people involved in online piracy. I would also suggest that one of the main reasons why people turn to illegally downloading torrents is the price of the products, which is also extortion

One theory:
Every idiot can become a murder, but you need a working brain to be good in internet crime.
(Till the brain of the causes errors like in this case here)

And idiots are easier to handle than thinking criminals. So they punish the criminals with more brains harder, because they are more dangerous for the TPTB.

Just a theory...
edit on 21 7 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
I would also suggest that one of the main reasons why people turn to illegally downloading torrents is the price of the products, which is also extortion

This is very much true.
Especially for people who don't use a strong currency and/or don't live in the US or in Europe. Many things either aren't available here or they are WAY too expensive. I buy what I can, if it's available and the price is reasonable, but sometimes torrents do help a lot... I'm not proud of it, but I'm not paying over $100 for DVDs of ONE season of a TV show either.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter
Are there really people that still use torrents???
Idiocy declines never, as it seems.
Thought that crap is dead.

But if idiocy would decline, we never would have so fasntastic laughs about the not so much thinking people on earth, there would be no torrents anymore, no facebook and all that...

Are you for real? lol.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
So Apple won't help the FBI crack a murders/terrorist phone (No profit in that) but have no problem going after this guy (Losing profit). It is entirely acceptable to take someone's computer and search it for cracked stuff but it isn't okay to search a terrorists phone.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Seems you should always use a VPN and adblocker

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Orionx2
So Apple won't help the FBI crack a murders/terrorist phone (No profit in that) but have no problem going after this guy (Losing profit). It is entirely acceptable to take someone's computer and search it for cracked stuff but it isn't okay to search a terrorists phone.

Bingo! It all boils down to money for the mighty Apple...
edit on 21/7/2016 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: imod02

This is terrible advice that won't protect you from # all. This is like, 1% of the things you should do.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
After reading this I remembered reading this.
www.briandunning.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

And alway slook for specific trackers...like "Istoleit" and deleted them before downloading.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Someone never got the memo to take the site down it seems .

[SNIP]

edit on 22/7/16 by argentus because: removed torrent site link

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Most likely because the guy had contingencys in place. Or many shadow site owners.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Perhaps someone should start a post, "how to download and stick it to the man" now that would be intresting

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Good on him for being prepared for this kind of thing , but everytime a site gets taken down another one will pop up very quickly

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Perhaps someone should start a post, "how to download and stick it to the man" now that would be intresting

I really love my country. I can download to my hearts content and nothing bad will happen. Some isp's send out "That's illegal!" notices but they don't do anything with them. They only do that to comply with some random law copyright trolls got implemented. I personally never received one.

I very rarely pay for anything. What is the point when i can just get it for free, Much more conveniently and quicker than paying for it. And with companies like apple (this story proves it) being liable to court orders and such, Gives an even stronger reason to not pay for anything legally.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join