It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black people and the false slave memory

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Again, what a lot of people are failing to acknowledge is that there were hundreds of years AFTER slavery where those of African descent were placed at a level of disadvantage in society. In America, in particular, they faced voting restrictions, lynchings, Jim Crow/segregation, economic disparity, lack of support in education, destruction of their communities...to name a few.
edit on 20-7-2016 by soulrebel11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: zinc12
In the military they would call it implanted memory's. False memory's of events that never happened used to modify behaviour and invoke emotion for events that never occurred. Its a fact that only 1% of African Americans have an ancestor who was a slave yet they are all talking about "when they were slaves" even fairly recent immigrants.

The vast majority of black people who push the whole "it's OK the way I'm behaving because it's payback for slavery" were never slaves and neither were any of their ancestors. You have masses of blacks who came to America after slavery was abolished using this excuse.

In Europe where blacks were never slaves you also have blacks talking this nonsense about "when they were slaves" and their ancestors hardship.

You have people for example from Somalia jumping on the same bandwagon.

It seams to me black people are quick to make use of any excuse they can muster when it comes to justifying their bad behaviour.

The media is responsible to a very large extent in implanting these false slave memory's in young blacks who if they traced their family back would see that in fact they were never slaves.

So what is to be made of young blacks demanding "reprimands" for a family history that never happened.

In addition to this you have the crazy phenomena of racially confused people who are not even black imagining a time when the white man had them as slaves.

You actually have white people in Europe coming to the UK for example and demanding benefits etc and imagining it is "payback" for some imagined hardship or slavery they endured at the hands of the British once upon a time!

I live in Richmond VA and in Shockoe Bottom Millions of Blacks were sold as slaves so I find the 1% figure very hard to swallow. Otherwise I'm more or less with you, as the FIRST slaves in the new world were actually IRISH.
edit on 20-7-2016 by 191stMIDET because: Accidental post before it was ready

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: soulrebel11

Are you saying that black people are the only ones to endure an extended period of inequality? Because that's absured...just like expecting people who had nothing to do with that to pay for it. The whole damn thing is absured and only serves to further divide people. That was the point I was trying to make.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: soulrebel11

Are you saying that black people are the only ones to endure an extended period of inequality? Because that's absured...just like expecting people who had nothing to do with that to pay for it. The whole damn thing is absured and only serves to further divide people. That was the point I was trying to make.

No, when have I claimed this to be case. I'm simply saying it didn't end with slavery...since people on here seem to think black people's complaints are with slavery and nevermind the injustices that came afterward! What further divides people is the lack of acknowledgement of the past (and oftentimes present).
edit on 20-7-2016 by soulrebel11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: 191stMIDET

In the military they would call it implanted memory's. False memory's of events that never happened used to modify behaviour and invoke emotion for events that never occurred. Its a fact that only 1% of African Americans have an ancestor who was a slave yet they are all talking about "when they were slaves" even fairly recent immigrants.

The vast majority of black people who push the whole "it's OK the way I'm behaving because it's payback for slavery" were never slaves and neither were any of their ancestors. You have masses of blacks who came to America after slavery was abolished using this excuse.

In Europe where blacks were never slaves you also have blacks talking this nonsense about "when they were slaves" and their ancestors hardship.

You have people for example from Somalia jumping on the same bandwagon.

It seams to me black people are quick to make use of any excuse they can muster when it comes to justifying their bad behaviour.

The media is responsible to a very large extent in implanting these false slave memory's in young blacks who if they traced their family back would see that in fact they were never slaves.

So what is to be made of young blacks demanding "reprimands" for a family history that never happened.

In addition to this you have the crazy phenomena of racially confused people who are not even black imagining a time when the white man had them as slaves.

You actually have white people in Europe coming to the UK for example and demanding benefits etc and imagining it is "payback" for some imagined hardship or slavery they endured at the hands of the British once upon a time!

I live in Richmond VA and in Shockoe Bottom Millions of Blacks were sold as slaves so I find the 1% figure very hard to swallow. Otherwise I'm more or less with you, as the FIRST slaves in the new world were actually IRISH.

I find different figures out there;

And how many of these 10.7 million Africans were shipped directly to North America? Only about 388,000. That’s right: a tiny percentage.

The Root
Also at the link:

Incredibly, most of the 42 million members of the African-American community descend from this tiny group of less than half a million Africans. And I, for one, find this amazing.

So most of America's black population descends from slaves.
edit on b000000312016-07-20T13:13:30-05:0001America/ChicagoWed, 20 Jul 2016 13:13:30 -0500100000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: zinc12

I'm certainly glad this thread was moved. It is probably one of the racist I have ever seen and under the guise of some sort of memory implant conspiracy theory.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
You do know I presume that before the first Africans arrived in the USA, in 1619 white Irish children were already being shipped over there as slaves? There was even a law enacted which stated "It is no more a sin to kill an irish man than it is to kill a dog" and were cheaper than the African slave and many many more of the Irish died than the Africans.

Will we be seeing Irish Lives Matter next? Will they be wanting reparations? Who should we make the cheque paypable to?

Some of my long dead distant ancestors were caught and shipped off to Rome...should I now be taking this up with the Italian Government for the imaginary hurt I'm currently suffering at the thought of their suffering?

The Irish slave theory is often used by those wanting to distract from the topic of Black slavery. It is mainly a myth in regard to the Americas.

Slavery Myths

“Persons from Ireland have been held in various forms of human bondage throughout history, but they have never been chattel slaves in the West Indies.” Nor is there any evidence of Irish chattel slavery in the North American colonies. There were a large number of Irish indentured servants, and there were cases in which Irish men and women were sentenced to indentured servitude in the “new world” and forcibly shipped across the Atlantic. But even involuntary laborers had more autonomy than enslaved Africans, and the large majority of Irish indentured servants came here voluntarily.

Where did this idea come from?

The term “white slaves” emerged in the 17th and 18th centuries, first as a derogatory term for Irish laborers—equating their social position to that of slaves—later as political rhetoric in Ireland itself, and later still as Southern pro-slavery propaganda against an industrialized North.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: thinline
@zinc12...crazy that a liberal that disagrees with you calls you a racist. What are the odds...

When the Original Post is racist, it is not simply disagreement to call it that.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra
If you look for facts on the internet, you can find things that support one side of an argument.... and things that support the other side.

The first recorded sale of Irish slaves was to a settlement in the Amazon in 1612, seven years before the first African slaves arrived in Jamestown. The Proclamation of 1625 by James II made it official policy that all Irish political prisoners be transported to the West Indies and sold to English planters. Soon Irish slaves were the majority of slaves in the English colonies In 1629 a large group of Irish men and women were sent to Guiana, and by 1632, Irish were the main slaves sold to Antigua and Montserrat in the West Indies. By 1637 a census showed that 69% of the total population of Montserrat were Irish slaves, which records show was a cause of concern to the English planters. But there were not enough political prisoners to supply the demand, so every petty infraction carried a sentence of transporting, and slaver gangs combed the country sides to kidnap enough people to fill out their quotas. The slavers were so full of zest that they sometimes grabbed non-Irishmen. On March 25, 1659, a petition was received in London claiming that 72 Englishmen were wrongly sold as slaves in Barbados, along with 200 Frenchmen and 7-8,000 Scots. So many Irish slaves were sent to Barbados, between 12,000 and 60,000, that the term "barbadosed" began to be used.

Source

edit on b000000312016-07-20T13:04:34-05:0001America/ChicagoWed, 20 Jul 2016 13:04:34 -0500100000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Look...slavery, oppression, and inequality aren't new. Most if not all races, religions, and peoples have endured them. History is chalk full of this sort of thing. Either we can move on and live in the now with an eye toward the future or we can live in the past and never get over the hurdle. I know personally I would rather look toward a brighter future rather than argue the past. How about you guys? Would you rather spend your time calling others racist and/or rehashing past issues or move on and find ways to come together?

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Do you specifically hunt out threads with the sole intention of crying racist/racism? I've noticed that you join in many many threads and add little other than to usually attack the posters. You cannot keep screaming racism whenever someone says something you don't like. This site is for discussion debate and dissection of facts and no amount of playing the racist card can escape the fact that the Irish were most definitely the first slaves sent to America in 1619. This isn't fantasy land its history and verifiable, its not justification for black slavery its simply pointing out they weren't the first and by the way they aren' the last either!

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It amazes me that people today act like slavery was only something that happened to black folk and ONLY that one time in all of history.

Fact.... Slaves included ALL races at one point in time or another.
Fact.... Slavery has existed since the beginning of time and still exists today in one fashion or another.
Fact.... Slavers often bought slaves from people who sold their OWN people.
Fact.... Slaves were acquired in MANY ways. Wars. People selling their sickly and unwanted locals, their children, their parents. Some were randomly chosen. Some were simply made high or drunk and knocked over the heads, waking up tied to the deck of a ship and made to serve on that ship.
Fact.... There is not one African slave alive today. There is not one child of an African slave alive today.

Yes.. Slavery is sick and inhumane at any level. Slavery still exists, though much of the time it just has another name.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Actually our history isn't fairytale its true and there is plenty of information about our lowly past and the hardships the Brits were put through.

An example is the press ganging of people into the Royal Navy which was tantamount to kidnapping and something to ruminate on is the age of the little kids used as 'Powder Monkeys' who carried the gun powder up from the stores during battles, aged from 7 years old. Have a little think on that one if you want to talk about slavery. I doubt many of those kids or the press ganged considered their lives as anything but slavery and often at the cost of their lives. All for service to a crown most of us didn't want or like then and now.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Perhaps we should be focusing on slavery today as in cases such as the Yazigis children being turned into sex slaves by ISIS thugs? I dare say a lot of other examples can be given which affect people today and this is where our attention should be.

A number of apologies for the past have been given, but in fact what do they really mean, because usually all the people involved have died long ago so the actual giver and receiver of this symbolic matter were never affected in the first place.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: RobotBomb
This will go over like a lead balloon.

I applaud you for your bravery though!

Yeah and its the truth but look where its placed.

Lies? Well if they are literally slaves instead of the people paying their benefits, then it would be lies, but since that isn't the case, placing this here is called a LIE.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: Brotherman
Did you know that European empires used to own the slave trade almost solely? This Europe never had slaves bit is only but one thing you need to check up on or are you from a different alternate time that you happened to end up here?

So the white people in Europe are responsible for the white people in America starting black slavery.

They did help facilitate it.
The slaves were captured by other tribes in Africa and brought to slave traders. The slave traders were overwhelmingly Portuguese, according to what I have read.

Wrong there has never been black slavery in Europe so your idea that they are responsible for the actions of their descendent who went to America is wrong.

www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk...

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
While the ancestry of slavery might be a little stray it doesent matter. The OP is dumb

Every person of color ancestors in America went through sickness that continued to live after slavery

OP belives the civil rights movement was a conspiracy theory

Lynchings
KKK
Back of the bus
poor educate
Segregation
No justice
Jim Crow laws

Etc... Need I go on

It was illegal to teach a colored to read at one point.

What a bigot.
edit on 2-10-2016 by ssenerawa because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-10-2016 by ssenerawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Blazemore2000

👆+ 😭 = 👎
edit on 3-10-2016 by Rubicon3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

"Minding their own business...", huh? Sure, if hunting their own down and SELLING them to the Portuguese, Spanish, Egyptians and OH, lest we not forget , the MUSLIMS to sell in slave markets ALL OVER THE WORLD. I don't know what history class you got your "facts" from, but they're FAR from accurate.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

a reply to: Blazemore2000

I'm racist for observing there are loads of black people (and non blacks) talking about "being slaves" who never were nor can they trace anyone in their family who was lol whatever!

Logic would point to the fact that if a persons ancestors came to this country as a free person, and remained free, then most likely said ancestor was educated. People with education have a tendency to keep accurate records of births, deaths, marriages, etc. In retrospect, just about all descendants of black slaves were widely dispersed thru sale and trade. This fact in itself would make it virtually impossible for a a slaves descendant to trace its lineage much further than the name of their ancestors owner.
Furthermore, it seems that you have discounted the fact that Blacks, regardless of their nationality, Ugandan, Nigerian, Swazi, Somalian,,, it made no difference. Once they arrived in America they were simply "Black". It didn't matter if you came by way of France, you were still "Black". You would be a french speaking black slave until you were freed. Blacks people were not welcomed into this country as uppity free blacks.
In closing, I would like to state that my mother was not a slave, nor were her parents, nor her parents parents. I can trace her family as far back as France (Yes, she was high yellow) My father, on the other hand I can only trace back to Swan Quarter, North Carolina. I have visited there a few times, read the stones on the graves, those that were marked. Even as early as 1918, the evidence of that place being a slave plantation still exists. While my father was never one to say that he had memory of being told about slavery, there are many still there who can, and do.
I have no reason to think that my fathers forefathers would choose to come to a place and live as slaves. So, if my fathers' brother, or my great grandfathers second cousin was a slave, wouldn't that still make me a descendant of slaves?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join