It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists move one step closer to creating an invisibility cloak.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Scientists move one step closer to creating an invisibility cloak.

Scientists at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) have made an object disappear by using a composite material with nano-size particles that can enhance specific properties on the object's surface.

Researchers from QMUL's School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science, worked with UK industry to demonstrate for the first time a practical cloaking device that allows curved surfaces to appear flat to electromagnetic waves.

While the research might not lead to the invisibility cloak made famous in J.K Rowling's Harry Potter novels quite yet, this practical demonstration could result in a step-change in how antennas are tethered to their platform.

It could allow for antennas in different shapes and sizes to be attached in awkward places and a wide variety of materials.

The researchers coated a curved surface with a nanocomposite medium, which has seven distinct layers (called graded index nanocomposite) where the electric property of each layer varies depending on the position. The effect is to 'cloak' the object: such a structure can hide an object that would ordinarily have caused the wave to be scattered.

I'll take two please.

Dont worry, I'm not going to use mine to rob banks or hang out in women's locker rooms (creepy).

I'm just gonna walk around NYC cloaked and randomly de-cloak while standing next to someone.

edit on 17-7-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Cool stuff, i'll be interested to hear how it develops.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
This is gonna be so awesome!!! Sitting alone under the figtree smelling flowers and no one can hear any s¤# i say or do..

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
This is gonna be so awesome!!! Sitting alone under the figtree smelling flowers and no one can hear any s¤# i say or do..

It's an invisibility cloak, not a sound proof booth.

You may not be seen, but you would be heard, for sure.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

So its just sexual content

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
This sounds like the type of technology the military is interested in for aviation stealth applications, so that radar waves are not disrupted, avoiding detection.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
At this rate, with our government, and all this corruption. I smell fear mongering, assassinations, and suppression of knowledge.

I wouldn't be surprise cloaked soldiers get sent to kill people to suppress knowledge and end up getting back stabbed by another group of cloak soldiers to suppress evidence.
edit on 17-7-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

So its just sexual content

Only the Nordics would think this way.

But, yeah quite possibly.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

i feel offended

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:56 PM