It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever Heard of this Guy ? William wilberforce ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Just thought I'd give some people a little insight into a little known fellow ,from my city .

He changed the world for everyone .

en.m.wikipedia.org...

en.m.wikipedia.org...

en.m.wikipedia.org...

And his home today

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Just a shout out for little knows people who changed the world

edit on 7/17/2016 by semperfortis because: Corrected all CAPS

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Denoli

Yes, there was even a movie about him. He was a great voice for the abolitionist movement. You should be proud he came from your home town.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

YES - i know who he is

but i dispute the claim that he is " little known "

unless you are confining your polling to the uneducated

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Yes. There are some great movers and skakers who have come out of England and the UK. At the time of Wilberforce, changes in Britain were felt globally.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

YES - i know who he is

Never heard him pop up on ATS , and I suppose a lot of people have never heard of him . Just thought I'd share a bit about him for the people who didn't

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
So the UK abolished Slavery? And went right on being a colonial power like Spain and France, among others.

Nice trimmings.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Not only that, but the British then deployed the Royal Navy to stop the trafficking of slaves, effectively imposing a block to slavers running into the Americas.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
And he also was part of the group that set up the RSPCA ,which has saved countless animals too .

Not a bad all round guy

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

White Guilt? Or putting on a show, as usual.

Like when they ensalved millions of Chinese to Opium. How they afforded the Crown Jewels, by the by.

Like how they somehow burn people but protect Opium fields in Afghanistan today.

images

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Thank you for dropping by to post your usual off topic Anti-Anglo-American propaganda.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
White Guilt? Or putting on a show, as usual.

How boringly predictable you are. Stick to topic. You seem hell bent on derailing threads. If you think Wilberforce was not a great man in the context of the time then say why not, else start a thread of your own.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Men like Wilberforce are well-known to people who had old-fashioned history lessons at school, but perhaps less known to a younger generation.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Blah blah. Everyone has access, everyone has a say. Don't you just hate that?

Besides I know where this is going. Another praise the Crown for being such nice guys thread, misleading everyone.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Thank you for dropping by to post your usual off topic Anti-Anglo-American propaganda.

Anti war, and anti disinformation. Nice try painting free speech as anti american. Where you live, the Soviet Union?

Anti Soviet Agitation

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Cause i have!

We have a statue of him in Chatham!

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Yes, I've heard of him ever since early elementary school - his work was a standard part of basic history lessons here in Oz at least.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I bet half the people in Hull haven't heard of him. They probably think he built a college, even then they'll pick the wrong college!

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Blah blah. Everyone has access, everyone has a say. Don't you just hate that?

No, I love it when people have a say, so long as it's on topic. Now, let's get back to Wilberforce, the topic of this OP.

I like the association with the clergyman John Newton, whose story life story is pretty interesting.

John Newton

There is also a US University named after Wilberforce... Wilberforce University

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

YES - i know who he is

I MOSTLY agree with that, it is certainly true among the British population but the Thread Author is definitely correct as far as his international fame is concerned, other leading anti slavery campaigners are far better known in there native country's though Wilberforce was undoubtedly one of the most important lynch pin's of that time in the GLOBAL history of anti slavery.

Another from the same period was the writer of the hymne Amazing Grace John Newton whom gave many rousing speeches for the abolishion of slavery including in parliament.
en.wikipedia.org...

Because of these men and many other's whom were involved the Royal Navy began Anti slavery patrol's, even Stopping and sinking Slave Trader ship's including many owned in the US.
www.bbc.co.uk...
www.history.ac.uk...
abolition.e2bn.org...
www.rmg.co.uk...
www.bbc.co.uk...

Up to the last Royal Navy patrol's of the Gulf and the Red Sea in the late 1960's the royal navy were still stopping Skiff load's of african's bound in chain's being shipped to Saudi Arabia were even today though not officially slavery is still common.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
"negroes are creatures like ourselves, but their minds are uninformed and their moral characters are debased…their state of civilization is very imperfect, their notions of morality extremely rude"

"an ignorant, low, peevish, a bloody and a thievish race"

Yeah a great man. Like Churchill, the Brits are happy to nostalgically cup his balls and ignore any evidence that paints him in a less than complementary light.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join