It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a difference between calling someone a troll an calling someone a racist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Just wondering what you guys think...

In the interests of improving the forums I've decided to initiate a conversation.

If a post is truly racist then the alert button should be used do you agree?

Is calling someone a troll the same as calling someone a racist?

If not what's the difference?

Shouldn't w T n C be changed to include calls of xenophobia, racism and Islamaphobia in order to preserve the standard of decorum?

If a post is truly one of those terms then they should be alert and the post removed.

Can't edit title due to being on cellphone

edit on 7/12/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

It is not the same.

A Troll is someone having fun and being annoying on the internet, it could be about anything. Ive been called a troll before. A troll CAN be a racist as well.

A racist is someone who does not believe in equal rights for other races and thinks their race is supreme. In my opinion, a pretty messed up individual.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

The term gets thrown around equally as loose as the term troll.

If someone is overtly racist they should be banned

I read way way way to many people just pointing finger and screaming racist any chance they get

It reduces the conversation from what the topic is to weather or not someone is a racist in the same way calling someone a troll reduces the conversation from the topic to weather or not someone is trolling or not

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

What? You know you are asking for different opinions to be silenced? Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it should be surpressed.
Behind most racism stands fear. Talking about it seems a good first step.
Trolling is an artform. Why do you think that's the same as racism?
I believe you just have issues to accept that to some you are the weird freak with strange opinions. Should we silence you, because you can't stand free speech?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Yes, Troll gets thrown around and they are usually harmless.

I do believe racist is used a lot, but I don't think its "thrown around" so much.

You have to say some pretty bad things as a racist to get banned from a chat.

For example, just implying that you do not believe blacks should marry whites is a very racist statement, but not bannable.

If you were to say the "N" word...probably bannable.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

The term gets thrown around equally as loose as the term troll.

Don't forget shill, disinfo agent, etc. Generally those terms are used to stop discussion.

If someone is overtly racist they should be banned

Nope, they should be challenged.

I read way way way to many people just pointing finger and screaming racist any chance they get

Really? Perhaps you need to read what people are making the accusations about. Is the member making statements that are racist in nature?

It reduces the conversation from what the topic is to weather or not someone is a racist in the same way calling someone a troll reduces the conversation from the topic to weather or not someone is trolling or not

Only if the person making racist statements refuses to justify them, or the person making the accusation refuses to explain why the statements themselves are racist.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Racists troll. They're probably jerks about a lot of things, you would avoid their type in real life. Their cup is full of resentment, easily spilled over as hate.

Angry people always seek to blame someone else for their hatred, victimizing them, in their mind justifiably.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Nah... A troll is a cave-dwelling hobgoblin.

A racist thinks their race is superior to all other races. BLM activists for example.

link   
a reply to: DJW001

someone who is overtly racist should be BANNED, not challenged.

talking to these people in real life is dangerous...on the internet is pointless.

link   

(post by intrptr removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

BLM activists are NOT racists. It seems you do not understand the meaning of why this movement was formed.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

For example, just implying that you do not believe blacks should marry whites is a very racist statement, but not bannable.

I'd re-think that statement.

While we want people to have their opinions, ones that say that, and get said repeatedly around here are going to find themselves shown the door out of here.

**ALL MEMBERS** The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW.

ATS Terms and Conditions

24) Right of Community Management. This is a privately owned discussion board community. TAN reserves the right to take action against any member, or member Posting, which is deemed to be devoted purely to disruption, represents behavior contrary to community building, or in cases where the content is contrary to the core ideals of the Websites. This action may include removal of your Posting and/or complete banning of your username and IP address. TAN reserves the right to eliminate or edit any content deemed inappropriate for the discussion boards, news network or any affiliated sites. TAN reserves the right to establish limits on topics that may be discussed if, in their opinion, the discussion of those topics attract an audience that is counterproductive to maintaining the ideals set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use and the Terms and Conditions of Membership.

edit on 7/12/2016 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
The next member who lunges insults in this thread gets a 5 day Posting Ban and review of their account by staff.

I will not warn you again. Do not reply to this post.

For the record, as far as ATS is concerned, an insult is an insult is an insult.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

What? You know you are asking for different opinions to be silenced? Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it should be surpressed.
Behind most racism stands fear. Talking about it seems a good first step.
Trolling is an artform. Why do you think that's the same as racism?
I believe you just have issues to accept that to some you are the weird freak with strange opinions. Should we silence you, because you can't stand free speech?

Really? When you start talking about it, it never ends until someone gets blue in the face and gives up. Megyn Kelly had a panel last night of BLM supporters and police supporters and it got extremely tense. One black BLM girl kept screaming over everyone else and then when someone said whites are bad or cops are bad, she'd shake her head, clap, and stomp her feet like she was in the middle of a hymn at church.

You think talking about race gets through to them? It just makes them even more angry. These people blame whites for the lead in the Flint, MI drinking water and say they were trying to kill the blacks. Seriously.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
It seems on ATS as of late, you're called a troll if you simply don't have enough "meat and potatoes" in your threads, comments, or responses. It's assumed you're merely trying to illicit a negative response, but some members say a lot by saying very little. We all have different styles and deliveries.

You get called a racist or bigot for just having irrefutable statistical data to back your claims or position. Truth is truth, but some see it as a personal attack which is ridiculous. We are never going to move beyond where we are if we can't accept our own parts we play in the problem(s); personally or racially.

Certain current topics have got people pretty fired up, but I'm glad to see the passion regardless. We just have to have the maturity to admit when we're wrong, disengage when needed, and possibly set aside our ego's once in a while.

edit on 12-7-2016 by EternalShadow because: a correction

link   
a reply to: LSU0408

so your opinion is based on a panel that Fox News put together?

Hmmmm...ok, I understand now why you seems so ignorant on the issue.

link   
In Europe at the moment TPTB call anyone who tells the truth a racist, it seems the word racist is been used to distroy the truth, you can disagree with all religions but the second you say something about Islam your are called a racist. The word has lost its meaning and is just been used to bash free speach with.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: PeterHawkes
Well I know a lot of people with 1000s and 10,000's of posts on this site are trolls. I know that by reading their posts. They will respond to every single thread or post from a person thinking differently the same way, and have done it for years hijakcing hundreds perhaps thousands of threads.

Exactly. A troll and a racist are not necessarily the same thing.
In fact, most racists are too stupid to be trolls.

I see trolling as more of a way to be the "devil's advocate". A way to make you think, oh yeah, there is another way to look at it.

Trolling is actually good for the world (in my opinion) if done right.

A racist is just too dense to get things like sarcasm, or cleverness. Racist people usually take things seriously and live in a sad and paranoid world filled with dis-info, fostered by a poor upbringing and a lack of education.

I love being a troll, but I despise racism.

Trolls are healthy for sites like this, they bring in alternative and sometimes fresh perspectives.

Racists should be euthanized.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

You get called a racist or bigot for just having irrefutable statistical data to back your claims or position. Truth is truth, but some see it as a personal attack which is ridiculous. We are never going to move beyond where we are if we can't accept our own parts we play in the problem(s); personally or racially.

No, you are called a racist or bigot if you have racist or bigoted posts. its nothing personal...just like calling someone mean or mis-informed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join