It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attorney for officer who killed Philando Castile says he reacted to gun, not race

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

St. Anthony Police Officer Jeronimo Yanez was reacting to "the presence of that gun and the display of that gun" when he opened fire on Castile, Minneapolis attorney Thomas Kelly told The Associated Press. He declined to elaborate on how Castile displayed the weapon or what led up to the deadly Wednesday traffic stop.

Attorney for officer who killed Philando Castile says he reacted to gun, not race

Now we know Officer Yanez definitely saw the gun.

We also know that Lavish Diamond Reynolds stated that Castile did not inform the officer of the gun until he was already reaching for his wallet that was obstructed by the gun, which contradicts her initial video testimony.

“My boyfriend carries all his information in a thick wallet in his right side back pocket,” Reynolds said. “As he’s reaching for his back pocket wallet he lets the officer know, ‘Officer, I have a firearm on me.’ I begin to yell, ‘But he’s licensed to carry.’ ” According to Reynolds, the officer started firing shortly after.

www.slate.com...

So far the only racism in this case is Reynolds profiling the officer as "Chinese" and then simply as "asian". Officer Yanaz is hispanic, one of the groups specifically mentioned by Obama as being victims of racial injustice. Well Obama certainly jumped to racist judgement against Officer Yanez and tainted his chance at due process.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Wonder why Castile didn't have the ID out before the police got out of the squad car and walked over to the car ?

Plenty of time.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

She didn't "profile' the cop, she gave her opinion of what he looked like to her.

Obama always jumps to racist judgements. Do you think it's because he's racist or because that's the flavor of Kool Aid his supporters like to drink? I guess it could be a combination of both.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Wonder why Castile didn't have the ID out before the police got out of the squad car and walked over to the car ?

Plenty of time.

Why would a passenger in a car have their ID out for a traffic stop?

Personally, I wouldn't nor have I in the past.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: thinline

She continued to describe where she was and asked her sister to pick her up from the police station. “We had a busted tail light and we have some weed in the car. That’s about it.”

Reynolds began profiling the officer. “It was a Chinese police officer that shot him. He’s Chinese, he’s about five-five, five-six and a half, heavy set guy.” She faced the camera toward the window and pointed out the police officer who did it, then broke into tears. Her daughter sat next to her and comforted her as she urged her viewers to pray for her and pick her up from the scene.

www.dailywire.com...

Please. She profiled him. If she were white, she would have been crucified in social media for "thinking all brown people look the same".
edit on 9-7-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: Added link to source

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Plenty of time.

Well the ongoing claim is he had a gun and a ccw.

Why wouldn't he get out his ID ahead of time.

He had time.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Plenty of time.

He wasn't a passenger. He was the driver. Some of the sites with the video post mirror images so it appeared he was a passenger until the image is flipped back to it's proper perspective.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

I had to check and it is mirrored like you said.

Still though, I guess I am lucky because I am a ccw holder and got a warning ticket 3 months ago for speeding.

I told him I have a ccw and kept my hands on the wheel the whole time while we talked and he let me off with a warning.

I didn't have my ID out beforehand either because I know they watch for movement while pulling people over and my thought is keep my hands visible so they do not suspect me of doing something wrong. I can just imagine a cop seeing me fidget around while pulling me over and then me telling them I am armed it would probably make them fidget as well.

edit on 9-7-2016 by Grimpachi because: opps warning ticket

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I can't vouch for the site, but this info is interesting:
conservative treehouse

The Falcon Heights, Minnesota police shooting of Philando Castile is based around an entirely false narrative. Castile and Ms. Diamond Reynolds (Facebook video uploader) were pulled over by police because Castile matched a BOLO Alert for an armed robbery suspect from four days prior.

This site is saying that the shooting victim did not have a CC license.

edit on b000000312016-07-09T15:47:29-05:0003America/ChicagoSat, 09 Jul 2016 15:47:29 -0500300000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
There's no way to prove any of this. We don't have mind probes or temporal investigative systems to go back in time.

The fact is, its entirely plausible it was one, the other, or both. Claiming it was the gun alone minimizes the impact. It's exactly what any lawyer would do in order to help their client.

The guy might not have a racist bone in his body, but studies have proven that white people still have unconscious biases:

The researchers presented 64 White college students with two images that flashed on a monitor in quick succession. The students saw the first image — a photograph of a child’s face – which they were told to ignore because it purportedly just signaled that the second image was about to appear. When the second image popped up, participants were supposed to indicate whether it showed a gun or a toy, such as a rattle. The photographs of children’s faces included six images of Black five-year-old boys and six images of White five-year-old boys.

The data revealed that the student participants tended to be quicker at categorizing guns after seeing a Black child’s face than after seeing a White child’s face. Participants also mistakenly categorized toys as weapons more often after seeing images of Black boys than after seeing images of White boys.

However, they mistakenly categorized guns as toys more often after seeing a White child’s face than after seeing a Black child’s face.

Study

So, if true, its going to take a lot of cultural changes in order to reactions like that to change. Maybe we need more POC working as police in predominately black neighborhoods? I don't know the answer, but I know we should at least be looking for answers.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Dude ESPECIALLY if you're carrying a gun keep your hands on the wheel until they ask you to reach for something. It makes cops rightfully jumpy to see you squirming around and not be able to see your hands.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

What I am curious about is if he ccw, why is there no mention of the validity of this claim? You must have that permit available with your ID whenever you are carrying! Where was his? We only have her and another family member saying he had a ccw permit in another county. Yet, it is a state issued permit?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I watched the video and the gf said " you told him to get his id sir" . .
The panicky cop did NOT refute her claim.

Murder? Not intentionally.. Involuntary murder i would say.

I know alot of cops and they all say that they wish they were cops 20 yrs ago..
I ask why and they always respond with abhorent case details that just didnt exist 25 years ago.
The devolved circumstance of our supposed modern society is the fault. Cops are now petrified to even check on a cat stuck in a tree.

Fkn sad world we live in now.
B

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

but studies have proven that white people still have unconscious biases:

This cop is lucky enough to have been born to Chinese parents, so the study doesn't prove anything about him.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

The Attorney for Yanez, Tom Kelly has confirmed Castile had a permit.

Kelly also confirms that Castile did NOT know of the permit at the time of the shooting. This corroberates Lavish Reynolds's statement during her press conference.

“(Castile) had a permit to carry a gun,” Kelly said. “The officer did not know that at the time of the shooting, and he did not know with any certainty whether the gun was present with a permit or not a permit. Regardless of whether it was permitted or not, the actions of Mr. Castile and his failure to comply with directions from Officer Yanez was what led to this.”

www.fox9.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Plenty of time.

Well the ongoing claim is he had a gun and a ccw.

Why wouldn't he get out his ID ahead of time.

He had time.

Don't go trying to blame this on the guy for what YOU would have done.

I can't tell you how many episodes of "Cops" I've watched where the dash cam shows the occupants of the car moving around before the officer approaches. The officers then suspect the people in the car of hiding something or being suspicious.

The best thing you can do when pulled over is roll the window down, place your hands on the top of the steering wheel in plain sight and NOT MOVE until asked.

If you're rifling around in your glove box or trying to wrestle your wallet out of your back pocket, you are only going to look more suspicious and cause the cop to be even more agitated and cautious.

It sounds to me like he did exactly what countless cops and experts have said one should do. Do not move until the cop arrives at your door, with hands visible so he can see you do not pose a threat.

The only thing I think he could have tried and done differently is try to narrate and explain while moving very slowly. "Officer, I am going to use my right hand to remove my wallet from my right back pocket. I am leaving my left hand here on the wheel in view" ...

Which is sad that people have to go to such extremes just to remove their wallet.

Hell, sometimes they don't even ask for anything -- they just want to let you know the road is closed ahead or something. They don't ALWAYS ask for your information. . .

. . . but go ahead, give it a try and get back to us. Start moving around and squirming in your seat the next time you get pulled over, and then ask the cop what he would have preferred you do to.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

What I am curious about is if he ccw, why is there no mention of the validity of this claim? You must have that permit available with your ID whenever you are carrying! Where was his? We only have her and another family member saying he had a ccw permit in another county. Yet, it is a state issued permit?

According to a question presented to the local county sheriff who oversees the Concealed Carry Permit process, Mr. Castile had never requested a concealed carry permit from their office:

source

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

Minnesota CCW permits are issued by the county in which one resides during application, but they are state permits.

A source (anonymous) confirmed to Minnesota Startribune that he did have in fact have a CCW.

Philando Castile had a valid permit to carry a gun when he was shot and killed by a St. Anthony police officer, a source confirmed to the Star Tribune Friday. . . Although the names of gun permit holders are not public under state law, a source confirmed Castile was issued the permit when he lived in Robbinsdale.

Minnesota Statute 624.714 (CCW permit and application process)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Bspiracy

She said that in the video as he was screaming, f***, why didn't he listen! I told him to keep his hands up!

It seems he may have asked for ID and when advised by the driver that he had a gun. The situation changed! He was advised to keep his hands up. No officer is going to allow you to reach towards a gun, cc or not. They will call for back up and you will exit the car hands raised until they confirm. Which is why you keep your permit with your ID when carrying.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

According to a question presented to the local county sheriff who oversees the Concealed Carry Permit process, Mr. Castile had never requested a concealed carry permit from their office:

Because he apparently got his CCW in the county he previous resided in, which explains why he never requested one from the county SO he lived in when he was killed: he already had a state CCW permit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join