It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are sniper rifles "assault weapons"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Are sniper rifles Assault weapons?

This is a subject I expect to come up very soon now. We have now seen "snipers" being introduced into the mass shooter equation, the end result I believe will be the claim of bolt action high powered rifles with scopes being demonized as "sniper rifles". This will of course just be common sense.

Why would anyone need a sniper rifle???

So in addition to semi automatic rifles being the focus of a renewed ban frenzy, now bolt action guns will be close on their heels.

Let's wait and see....

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

can be. some use the M14, now called the M21.

edit on 7-7-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

correction it's called the M25 now. used as a spotter rifle, by some
edit on 8-7-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
If the shooter is white, anything can be an assult rifle

If the shooter is black, it's just a long rifle.

That's what dives the narrative

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Going after a higher cailber

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Nope. Some of the best sniper rifles are bolt action hunting rifles, especially big bore magnums like the .300 win-mag... bolt actions are more accurate than semi-autos, but have a slow rate of fire

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The sniper is not a gun. It's a person.

A sniper's weapon is really irrelevant because a competent sniper can tag you with a Marlin model 60 at 400 yards.

The Remington Model 700 chambered in 7.62x51 is the most used rifle by snipers in the US. It's also the most popular hunting rifle in the US, last I checked.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
The sniper is not a gun. It's a person.

A sniper's weapon is really irrelevant because a competent sniper can tag you with a Marlin model 60 at 400 yards.

The Remington Model 700 chambered in 7.62x51 is the most used rifle by snipers in the US. It's also the most popular hunting rifle in the US, last I checked.

Very true... even the best belted big bore round like a .300 win-mag, you need a shooter capable of making long range shots, with a "one shot, one kill mentality". Shooters like this are not born, they are trained...

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

To kill Tyrannical humans,when ever we can ,where ever they come from, based on our American values.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
First, I hate the term 'Sniper Rifle', any rifle can technically be or become a sniper rifle. 'Sniper' denotes the skill of the operator. What most think of when they imagine a sniper rifle, is your standard bolt action rifle. None of which are assault rifles.

There are however certain semi-auto marksman rifles that are considered 'assault rifles'. But they have to meet certain criteria. Many modern, highly advanced semi-auto AR based marksman rifles are not assault rifles, but the near century old standard M1 Garand is in fact an assault rifle.

Wikipedia...

Primarily limited to the United States, the term assault weapon is a political term, separate from the military definition, used to describe a variety of semi-automatic firearms that have certain features associated with military or police firearms. The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired on September 13, 2004, defined the rifle type of assault weapon as a semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine, and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Conspicuous pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher
Barrel shroud

edit on 8-7-2016 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   

I hunt with an SVD. They've tried that "assault rifle" crap with those on many occasions. Hell, I get crap at the range because apparently I can just drop a full auto AK trigger group in there and call it a day (no, that's not actually how it works).

I mean it's not like the recoil on an SVD or PSL with it's 7.62x54R round is going to make that impossible to accurately fire even for someone my size. Never mind the fact that a single 5rd mag emptied in under 60 seconds heats the barrel to a point where warping can become a concern if at least a minute isn't given to cool down after mag switches. It has a skeleton stock and looks like an AK so it's scary.

Anyway. I'll give this another 4 hours max before the rifle used was either a Rock River match grade or something like you mentioned. Maybe an AR10. As much as I hate AR style rifles the media certainly likes to say AR15 of late, they're probably itching for something new.

Btw, I grew up around long guns. Wait til the MSM realizes there are some of us that learned to fire bolts, levers and pumps just as accurately and almost as quickly as semi autos. I can see it now on CNN... "MAN WALKS INTO PRO 2ND AMENDMENT PROTEST WITH *GASP* BATTLE RIFLES!!! Witnesses say the man had a fully loaded Kar98K and Mosin-Nagant BATTLE RIFLE! My producers are telling me that these can carry as many as 15000 ROUNDS EACH AND SPORT MARKINGS FROM NAZI GERMANY AND SOVIET RUSSIA!"

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Millions of legal U.S. hunters carry these firearms. They are not "assault rifles"... and to label them as such is all political. How does a tyrannical government take away the rights to bears arms? A little at a time.....

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

short answer :

NO

long answer :

whats the difference bettween a hunting rifle and a sniper rifle ?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

THE TARGET!
Do I get a cookie?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Under Gun Profiling from the proponents of gun control

Assault weapons are defined based off nothing more than their looks.

So YES.

'Sniper' rifles are called 'assault weapons'.

Which are basically hunting rifles adapted for military use.

However.

Some are specially made for the military,

WHAT are sold to civilians would not pass MILSPEC standards.
edit on 8-7-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

To kill Tyrannical humans,when ever we can ,where ever they come from, based on our American values.

Winner of the best answer to the question right there ^

Star for you.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   

The goal is to remove all firearms from the public by making them ever more difficult and or expensive to own.

The appeal is to your emotions but the goal is to remove anything form the hands of the public that could be used to assault the establishment, for lack of a better word.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Magnivea

Mosin-Nagant

Best damn rifle in the world

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
All these Buzz words and phrases these days.... if I kill someone with a pencil is it now an "assault pencil"?. If I kill someone with a compound bow and arrow from a distance is it now a "sniper bow and arrow?....

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
WHAT are sold to civilians would not pass MILSPEC standards.

Indeed. I just bought a Ruger AR-556. It has some mill spec parts. You can buy mill spec replacement parts. However stock they are not military grade. Moot point though they are still plenty capable to cause rapid destruction. The person operating the gun is the biggest concern.

Ban all humans will be the only form of real gun control.
edit on 8-7-2016 by Orionx2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Are sniper rifles Assault weapons?

This is a subject I expect to come up very soon now. We have now seen "snipers" being introduced into the mass shooter equation, the end result I believe will be the claim of bolt action high powered rifles with scopes being demonized as "sniper rifles". This will of course just be common sense.

Why would anyone need a sniper rifle???

So in addition to semi automatic rifles being the focus of a renewed ban frenzy, now bolt action guns will be close on their heels.

Let's wait and see....

All rifles can be used by a sniper. There is no real requirement for a definition. Caliber can be any; as has been stated, a single shot .22 can be used as can a .50 BMG. In the past, air rifles have been used. Scopes are not required [see Simo Hayha en.wikipedia.org...].

I expect that the pressure will still be on the AK and AR designs because the uneducated have little understanding of the topic but merely repeat what the ignorant press uses to scare the public. In another life, I qualified with many military weapons, including a Thompson and a BAR. If there ever was an assault rifle, the BAR was one. According to the "definition" it lacks the pistol grip of the StG44 and uses a full power cartridge, so it is completely safe even though it can chop down trees and blow holes through brick walls. The Thompson may qualify as it looks cooler and has the evil pistol grip that makes it really dangerous.

My favorite was the 20mm Oerlikon but that is tough to carry around. It doesn't have a pistol grip or a black plastic stock so it must be safe, too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join