It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Shoot Boyfriend For Grabbing Requested ID

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Damn that had to be a hard thing to witness. That guy is dead no doubt. I'm amazed by her composure through it all.

I think the OP's assessment is a little off though. She didn't say that he told the cop he had a license to carry.

She said the cop asked him for his ID, then he said he had a gun, then the cop started shooting.

It sounds like he was reaching for his wallet when he told the cop he had a gun.

On second thought, why would the cop ask him for his ID at gunpoint?

And why was she put in handcuffs?

My bullish!t sensors are starting to tingle.

edit on 7-7-2016 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Why are police so afraid of the public that they "spin themselves up" as you call it? These shootings and rough treatment of people who the law says are innocent, until proven guilty, is getting to be ridiculous. I have some ideas to stop it, but this isn't the thread for posting them.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Something is wrong. Dont know what it is , but something is wrong. I dont care if you have an ak-47 in the trunk or ccw as they call it here. White , black , yellow ,purple , green , red , orange , you dont need to be shot for a burnt out tail light. I am Mr whitey as can be and damn....cant you just stand back behind the car and ask them to get out with your guns trained on em if your scared. I know we dont have the before the shot and all and I am one of those whites sick and tired of BLM bs , but damn there has to be a better way. I dont give a damn if he had a quarter pound of weed in the car or a ccw , this should not be like this. If they dont get out of the car and make a scene when they know mr police man is scared that is their bad , but we have to have some kind of universal behavior to follow so this doesnt happen. If it is something as a minor as a burnt out light for Gods sake just give mr police his power and put yer hands up and get out and let him have his power trip. No need to get shot over some weed or a ccw except ego. I am really mr pastey white and I would poop a green turd if they asked. Getting shot or killed for this just isnt right. I wish we had the full video from beginning to end. Between cops and civies there has to be a better way.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: savagediver

I would agree. As was previously posted the police, if they don't already, should have a record of someone possessing a conceal carry permit. If that is the case, there should be a different protocol for their routine stops.

My early assessment of this given the information currently available is that this particular cop was scared from the previous days information and possible briefing. The deceased paid the price for a number of others F ups.

@carewemust

Some people just should not become police, they do not have the nerves for it. Just because they can doesn't mean they should.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
It is absolutely bizarre to me that this woman started filming. She also seems calm AF. I get like that too, but if my loved one was bleeding out I'd be begging that cop to let me render aid or do it himself.

Cops voice is a pretty clear indication he either realized he made a big mistake or was too wound up to be in that sort of situation.

Bedlam pointed out cops know (in some places) if you have a CPL. I've only had one problem with it, and that was when I got a DUI. Having a nice normal (not so normal) conversation with one cop, hand over my wallet, the other cop sees my CPL sticking out of one of the wallet pockets and sort of flipped out, got weirdly aggressive for no reason asking if I was carrying. no Sir, IS THERE A GUN IN THE CAR!, No Sir, YOU BETTER BLARHGBLghghgh! I just sort of stared at him in disbelief and the other cop (who was super nice about the whole thing and drove me home instead of to jail) took him aside and clearly told him to go away. I get it, I'm popped for a DUI but I'm not sprawled out all over the road or at all combative. Nice cop eventually cuffed me and put me in his car, then I realized I had a cuff key on my key ring from back in the day when I did LP and he just goes "It's fine, but if you take off the cuffs I'm going to be really pissed." My ramblings here are to say that I do think some people aren't cut out for the job. Some people can't read the situation right and make very dire mistakes as cops. Cops should seem impartial, empathetic, firm, professional and use that verbal Judo. Doesn't always happen that way.

Article sure is sparse with information. I really don't trust statements from people that know the person that just had a confrontation with police. They lie, they get lied to, they warp the truth and I understand it because they love that person and don't want it to be that persons fault.

At face value this is very sad, but don't take these things at face value.

There were a few things that made my BS alarms go off, and I can't really identify them. He calm demeanor of the woman I guess would be one, I would be pretty sad if someone I was dating was that calm after I got shot 4 times. For some reason this actually struck me as a training video at first.

My advice is to be super polite, I think Bedlam said this but narrate what you do, do things slowly (I wonder if sometimes people get super jerky and try to pull the wallet out fast to not irritate the cops which looks to the cops like they're trying to pull something else).

Pretend you're the cop. Don't do stuff that would scare you or piss you off. Is that right? No. That's human nature and a few months in an academy isn't going to remove it from them. Cops aren't trained well. Everyone thinks cops are well trained at all these things. They are not. A psych test isn't going to weed out the people who get frantic in certain situations, only those situations will weed them out sadly. It's not always criminal or even negligent, people, including cops can make mistakes. Don't let them make a mistake.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: savagediver

@carewemust

Some people just should not become police, they do not have the nerves for it. Just because they can doesn't mean they should.

I thought police officers underwent stress-tests and engaged in "scenario training" that duplicates real-world conditions and threats. You'd think that those who couldn't pass, would be let go.

In regards to this incident, I think this guy was just a casual boyfriend. In the hood, African American "boyfriends" are killed or sent off to prison with regularity. It's not as shocking there, as it is where most of us live.
edit on 7/7/2016 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

All the training and conditioning just doesn't compare to real world experience. That goes for most fields of work I would suppose. Another thing of note, they tend to put the more experienced officers in the harder parts of town. This happened in a suburb as I understand it so this cop may have not been around long.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

That makes sense. It does indeed look like a suburb. That's where you're most likely to be pulled over for a brake light not working... especially if you're an African American with a brake light out.

At any rate, it will be interesting to see what prior "incidents" this officer has been reported for. I'm sure this is not his first use of force. He was too calm. In fact, the entire scene was surreal like that. Everyone was calm. Here in Chicago, the lady wouldn't have been able to film more than a few seconds before the phone was confiscated and erased.

P.S. I see you're in West Michigan, JinMI. I was raised in the St. Joe/Benton Harbor area.

edit on 7/7/2016 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   
ignore..double posted for some reason.

edit on 7/7/2016 by carewemust because: removed words...ATS doesn't have a "delete post" capability.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Here is a little more info:

www.nbcnews.com...

Ah neat! It's a wonderful state. I've been all over but surely prefer it here.

ETA: "Sizeable crowd forming outside Minnesota Governor's mansion.."

edit on 7-7-2016 by JinMI because: Stuff and Thangs

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: shredderofsouls

Police should only use tasers, and ALL guns must be taken away from them, at once. Tasers should ONLY be used in life threatening situations. It is true that not one real terrorist has ever been shot by police, so the excuse cannot be justified.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

IMO, If they were a white family in a newer sedan with a brakelight out, this car would not have been pulled over. I'm sure the police in a suburb this close to Minneapolis see many cars every day that have a brake light not working.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Heh, funny thing, last week I had a brake light out (white male) and I did get pulled over. I was pulling into the gas station near work for a cup of coffee and didn't realize I was being pulled over until I parked into a space and got out. The cop, maybe 24ish in age, looked like he was about to have a coronary because I didn't stay in my vehicle. Keep in mind I didn't see him. He yells "get back in your vehicle!! GET BACK!!" He comes over, shines his light in my eyes and very angrily asks for my license and registration. I had it ready to go and he disappears to his cruiser. Few minutes pass and his partner comes out to hand me back my papers and tells me about the brake light. We shoot the )#() for 20 mins or so while his partner (the angry one) fumes in the cruiser. Good times. Oh and this was in a suberbish area.

Back on topic: I think some of these cops are just as terrified of black folk as most are of them. Although that could be an entirely new thread, I think it bears credence to why the officer in this situation did what he did.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I'm a gun owner, smith in training, and 2ndA advocate but... I don't carry, it just ain't worth hassle/risk and bs these days.

edit on 7-7-2016 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Best I can tell, everything about this is horrible...

Police are supposed to be heroes... Supposed to be brave... Supposed to be protectors...

And when they mess up, this was not how they should respond...

I'm sad and angry. Angry and sad.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   
That's bad on both sides.

The guy was carrying a concealed weapon, should he have told the officer AFTER he gave him the ID or well before the office asked?
why did he reach while saying ''i have a concealed weapon''

the copy clearly is a mess.. you can hear him swearing and panicking.. he doesn't sound like the normal racist scum.. a mistake was made, now he will pay.

look how calm and collected she is? that just feels strange.. if my loved one was dying beside me i would be a mess.. she's calm and collected.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Police statement:

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

I'm not familiar with Minnesota law but I don't think he had to say anything at all unless asked. IDK if he was trying to just inform the officer and he freaked or if something else happened. Not enough information as of yet. Sad sad story.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Pull car over for busted tail light, murder man, and then arrest HER (5:55), all in front of her child?! For her own safety, I'm sure. Nice routine traffic stop. Unreal.

originally posted by: Skid Mark
First she said the cop killed him. Nope. The guy's moaning. Then she said the cop shot his arm off. Nope. His arm is still there. "Please don't tell me he killed him." Duh. Can't you hear him making noise?

What the f*% is yiour problem?

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: MARONAK

Police should only use tasers, and ALL guns must be taken away from them, at once. Tasers should ONLY be used in life threatening situations. It is true that not one real terrorist has ever been shot by police, so the excuse cannot be justified.

That only works if *all* of the population that the police serve have been disarmed. I mean, down to the last pointed stick.

Tasers work less than 50% of the time, and even then only provide an opportunity to get someone in custody.

You expect law enforcement to risk their safety daily for $20,000 to $50,000 a year in a country where literally everyone has a gun? Not likely.

What does someone being a terrorist have to do with a LEO's ability to defend themselves?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join