It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla driver dead in Autopilot crash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
He had a previous near accident but lost in this one.

We now learn of Brown being involved this time in not a near miss, but a very severe accident. Here’s the description from the police beat:

In a separate crash on May 7 at 3:40 p.m. on U.S. 27 near the BP Station west of Williston, a 45-year-old Ohio man was killed when he drove under the trailer of an 18-wheel semi. The top of Joshua Brown’s 2015 Tesla Model S vehicle was torn off by the force of the collision. The truck driver, Frank Baressi, 62, Tampa was not injured in the crash.

The FHP said the tractor-trailer was traveling west on US 27A in the left turn lane toward 140th Court. Brown’s car was headed east in the outside lane of U.S. 27A.

When the truck made a left turn onto NE 140th Court in front of the car, the car’s roof struck the underside of the trailer as it passed under the trailer. The car continued to travel east on U.S. 27A until it left the roadway on the south shoulder and struck a fence. The car smashed through two fences and struck a power pole. The car rotated counter-clockwise while sliding to its final resting place about 100 feet south of the highway. Brown died at the scene.Charges are pending.”

Brown hailed from Stow, Ohio where he owned NexuInnovations and was a 12 year veteran of the US Navy. From his bio:

I attended the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque for three years studying physics and computer science. Following my junior year, I enlisted in the US Navy serving 11.5 wonderful years on active duty as a Master Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician (EOD). While deployed numerous times overseas, in both warfighting and non-combatant roles with SOF (Special Operations Forces) units, it was my pleasure to work with the most intelligent, innovative, and independent patriots I have ever met. My duty stations included: Information Technology A School, BUD/S, NDSTC, NAVSCOLEOD, EODMU3, KTOD ACTD, and NSWDG. These opportunities allowed development of my operational experience as well as understanding and associations within the research and development (R&D) community.

Tesla Statement
Autopilot was activated

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Wow, this could be a problem.

But I didnt see any mention of the other 1,300,000 people that die worldwide every year in other types of non autopilot type cars.

asirt.org...

edit on 1-7-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy
Is this called autodeath then???

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

I suppose that because this is a new technology in test phase, and one in which safety is a critical test factor, the report is relevant.

On a side note, and not to make light of it; The driver was apparently watching Harry Potter...

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Seems like it's time for people to take personal responsibility for their own safety and actually DRIVE. For the safety of everyone around, if you're too lazy to drive, then you should look into the purchase of a bus pass.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReprobateRaccoon
Seems like it's time for people to take personal responsibility for their own safety and actually DRIVE. For the safety of everyone around, if you're too lazy to drive, then you should look into the purchase of a bus pass.

I agree in principle; those who wish to drive should take responsibility. However, autonomous cars would be an absolute godsend for those who can't drive, for many reasons. Blind people; the physically impaired; the elderly who don't trust themselves behind the wheel; those who simply don't feel capable of driving...

A long list of people really.

edit on 1-7-2016 by Jonjonj because: spellery

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

And that is my point. The other 1.3 million people deaths a year are acceptable or to blame human error because of the old tried and true hands on the steering wheel and eyes forward style of driving.

I want to see serious statistical analysis demonstrating the flaw in comparison to non automated and safer methodology before I will raise an eyebrow.

I cannot fault the Tesla brand or tech for this incident at all.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReprobateRaccoon

Too right.Too many people now get insular because they know they're surrounded by all sorts of air bags,curtains and collision avoidance systems and don't have to concentrate on driving like they used to.They know that if they have accident now they'll almost certainly walk away from it.The car will protect them so why bother the tedious task of needing to concentrate on driving it?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Of course. Until these vehicles have had stringent road tests the comparisons will always be to the detriment of the new technology. It is the nature of these tests; if in doubt err on the side of caution.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
What is the Autopilot system?

Is it like all the other cars that adjust electric cruise control via range finding the vehicle in front of car?

If it is, it sounds like the rangefinder shot under truck trailer.

Can't have it work too far away, or too high of an angle, or your brakes cause a 12 car pile up when you go under a street sign on a crest of a hill.

I don't see how they could do that w/o some serious computing power.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I disagree completely. The same should be applied to non automated vehicled before next years 1.3 million deaths.

I cannot stress enough that the numbers still show significant benefits to automated vehicles on a per capita comparison.

The numbers are still vastly in favor of automation.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

I suppose that because this is a new technology in test phase, and one in which safety is a critical test factor, the report is relevant.

On a side note, and not to make light of it; The driver was apparently watching Harry Potter...

Yeah I think with something this new and the fact he was in another near death accident before, where he claimed the car actually saved his life, I would watch the road.

I wonder would kids start taking the car if these become wide spread, i guess it could deliver them to school.
But I do wonder how it will affect insurance claims.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
My understanding is the insurance companies are all in favor of automation. The numbers keep proving it.

A minor example is that is why backup cameras are to be mandated very soon in all new cars.

The computers are proving better than our coffee sipping texting reading phone talking distracted and exausted counterparts.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley

I disagree completely. The same should be applied to non automated vehicled before next years 1.3 million deaths.

I cannot stress enough that the numbers still show significant benefits to automated vehicles on a per capita comparison.

The numbers are still vastly in favor of automation.

I understand what you are saying. I agree that autonomous cars will one day be of great benefit to people. I already intimated as much in a previous post.

That being said, I don't see how you can take general and honest concerns regarding safety of an unproven-in-real terms technology and somehow compare to a century old technology and expect people to just say ok.

The main concern is safety, sure, but there are other concerns as well. You quote the 1.3 million deaths as if that is the last word so I have a question; How many lives have been saved by the quick reactions of drivers in situations that simply could not be predicted by a computer?

There are no numbers to compare in some circumstances.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
That is what I was thinking. I have adaptive cruise control on my SUV and there is a pretty extensive explanation in the driver's manual that cresting hills or other obstacles could hamper the radar's ability to "see". Even though my car slows and speeds up automatically and can also brake on it's own, I'm still watching and can take over at any second.

My guess is the truck pulled out and the radar went under the trailer, so it just never saw it.

The real error was the truck probably pulling out unexpectedly. It is anyone's guess if a driver would have been able to stop in time. Considering that reports are saying the Tesla never braked, I'd venture that the Tesla driver also wasn't paying attention.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I do not disagree with what you are implying.

But do know this isnt untried and untested technology.

It has been in the works for a decade. Las Vegas was one of the first states to even allow one to be on the road. That was a few years ago. And testing laws and requirements are in the books and governance has a very keen eye on all progress.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Lol, I meant city, not state.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

As in the early days of flight there will be pioneers...and deaths. This isn't a new way to make food, it is transportation at high speeds with all the variables that that entails. And each time there is a death, the data will be pored over and changes, if necessary, will be made.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Would kids take the car? The car which means you could have both hands free? Are you kidding me?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

It will mean many more vehicles on the road though, all of the disabled and seniors will definitely get out there and people I know several who hate to drive.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join