It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I once supported the legalization of weed...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
So here in the "Rocky Mountain High" we legalized pot....I even voted for it [snipped] In all my years, I have never seen people become violent or drive dangerously. Perhaps laugh uncontrollably, but really, it's safer than alcohol. Here's the dark under belly many don't/didn't realize.
MANY people are MOVING HERE. What kind of person moves to a state because it legalized pot? The cream of the crop type of folks? Nope. I know, hard to believe.
Take a look at this story & video that happened today.
Nut job goes after people In a outdoor mall.
Also, my house went up in value 78k in one year. To me, that means property tax increase.
Driving anywhere and nearly any time is a nightmare. Our infrastructure can't handle the new population that just keeps going up daily. You can't find any house to buy, people are selling for well over their asking prices as there are bidding wars. Ok, so you rent. Nope. Rents are rediculous and there are people waiting in line for the chance. That means landlords get to be very chosey. So the people that have the highest incomes have the best chances.
I never stopped to evaluate all the issues related to selling pot legally. If all states went legal, perhaps it would be different. I'm for pot, it's not about that, it's just much further reaching than I imagined.
edit on Sun Jul 3 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: personal use comment removed

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Hr2burn

Pretty sad state of affairs when people are willing to move to another state just so they can legally have access to a drug. Has the crime rate and DUI's increased since weed was made legal?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

So weed is the problem ? ...are you sure it is not people that are the problem.....?
I could compare your argument to saying guns are the problem and the the people who use them

+36 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
So it should be legalized everywhere.
Problem solved.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

The people who campaigned hardest for this were probably to stoned to think it through properly.

On a positive note, anyone wanting to discuss cannabis use with a medical professional will find it more straightforward if that professional resides in a legal cannabis area.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Well, do you have any evidence that the rising house and rent prices are a result of legalization? In Washington, they are staying about the same.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Now now, no need to bring logic into the discussion.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Yup. That's one of the reasons I'm moving away.

Don't know if the population increase can be blamed solely on legalization but it's definitely a factor.
edit on 30-6-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I think once many other places legalize it, that won't be an issue. I know Missouri (of all places) has been adamantly fighting it for years and hopefully it will be legal here soon.....

I don't even smoke it, I am just tired of hearing people yell about it and I also think that the punishment for possession is ridiculous. It should most definitely not be a felony!

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The rent isn't the only thing that's high...

Seriously though, it should be at least decriminalized everywhere. Seems silly to lock people up for a plant.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20928084]Hr2burn[ost]

capitalism can be a female canine....

Jokes aside,

Once more states accept it as the least dangerous drug and one that can actually help people, it should ease the influx.

Give it time.

edit on 30-6-2016 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

The people who campaigned hardest for this were probably to stoned to think it through properly.

On a positive note, anyone wanting to discuss cannabis use with a medical professional will find it more straightforward if that professional resides in a legal cannabis area.

Or the people who campaigned hardest for this are sick to death of being treated like criminals for nothing more than a plant, a vice, and a thing that has been used by numerous cultures since it was first burnt.

People who are sick of losing their homes and possessions and being incarcerated for many years. People who are sick of being denied treatments that have been shown to help many ailments. People who see alcohol as a much worse substance that is legal and endorsed by 'alcohol barons' who make countless profits on the backs of addicts. People who simply see that a plant should not be such an issue.

Perhaps the people who didn't campaign the hardest for it are the sort of people who use the word 'to' instead of 'too' while mocking people who have been treated as criminals while others imbibe whatever they like as long as it's taxed and supports either established entities, or government coffers.

*sigh*

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I've been in Denver since 1976 & I understand cities grow & society changes, but now, every night on the local news there's shootings, stabbings, home invasions, etc. It used to be one of those once a month. Why?

There's many people moving here because pot is legal & they think they can grow it & get rich. That is not the way it works. That dream hits the wall & they have to do other things to make money.
I don't know if people are bothering to do their research on pot laws before they move here or think they can work around them somehow. It's a good way to get people breaking in your house to steal your plants so they can sell them. Or the cops hauling you off for a while.

There was a report on the local news a few months back that showed the rise in homeless young men living on the downtown streets due to the above scenario. Sorry, I don't have a link for that at the moment.

A little over a year ago, my landlord let a young couple from the East coast move in the front part of the old duplex I'm in. About a week later, the back bedroom window was covered with tinfoil & the power would go out frequently. You guessed it, they were growing. It didn't take too long for reality to hit them & their parents having to come all the way here to rescue them & take them back East.

There is a petition for people to stop moving here it's getting so ridiculous. Illegal or not, it shows how fed up long-time residents are.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

Pretty sad state of affairs when people are willing to move to another state just so they can legally have access to a drug. Has the crime rate and DUI's increased since weed was made legal?

Answer your own question by doing a bit of research of your own.

Pretty easy search.

Seriously?

That is your contribution to this thread?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hr2burn
So here in the "Rocky Mountain High" we legalized pot....I even voted for it though I haven't smoked since high school. In all my years, I have never seen people become violent or drive dangerously. Perhaps laugh uncontrollably, but really, it's safer than alcohol. Here's the dark under belly many don't/didn't realize.
MANY people are MOVING HERE. What kind of person moves to a state because it legalized pot? The cream of the crop type of folks? Nope. I know, hard to believe.
Take a look at this story & video that happened today.
Nut job goes after people In a outdoor mall.
Also, my house went up in value 78k in one year. To me, that means property tax increase.
Driving anywhere and nearly any time is a nightmare. Our infrastructure can't handle the new population that just keeps going up daily. You can't find any house to buy, people are selling for well over their asking prices as there are bidding wars. Ok, so you rent. Nope. Rents are rediculous and there are people waiting in line for the chance. That means landlords get to be very chosey. So the people that have the highest incomes have the best chances.
I never stopped to evaluate all the issues related to selling pot legally. If all states went legal, perhaps it would be different. I'm for pot, it's not about that, it's just much further reaching than I imagined.

I understand what you are seeing, but realize that Denver has seen the same in the past. I lived there from 1986-2001, it is a boom and bust town.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

I don't see "moderator" above your Avatar. What are you the thread police? Chill out! Asking a simple question to the OP since he lives there is nothing to get bent out of shape.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

What kind of person moves to a state because it legalized pot?

How about the kind of people that need it for medical reasons and CAN'T LEGALLY GET IT IN THEIR HOME STATE!

Refugees, of a sort. Some of us really need it. And we can't use it without looking over our shoulders.

I get what you are saying about the undesirables, but some of us just need it to live fully functioning lives.
edit on 30-6-2016 by chelsdh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

AAAhhh! Missed a spelling mistake!

Let's hope the uptight grammar police don't catch on to that one.

When you've finished sighing melodramatically think a little about the advantages of being able to discuss cannabis with a healthcare professional unworried about potential snitching. That's worth discussing, is it not?

And really, I'm closely in touch with various UK cannabis organisations, hemp fanatics and CBD sellers. Yes. Many of them are totally away with the fairies and can't see anything except their own fantasy future. The OP is about a consequence that a less idealistically blinded individual may have anticipated.

Did you add thieving cops to that list of unwelcome legislative effects? It's such a common story, money and drugs going missing during a drugs raid, sometimes very large sums of money.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

Have you tried any of the CBD products? There are a lot of substandard and possibly harmful CBD products about. Buyer beware. Good quality is truly transformative. Legal in the UK.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: MuthaShipMutha

Many of those who purchase single joints are the same people causing issues on the mall, the out-of-state homeless people who are called "travelers" by the Denver Police Department.
kdvr.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join