It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Unprecedented’: Scientists declare global climate emergency; jet stream crosses equator

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I'm hoping a few ATS folks could weigh in on this seemingly alarming story....

Scientists declare ‘global climate emergency’ after jet stream crosses equator

Climate scientists this week expressed alarm after “unprecedented” data showed the Northern Hemisphere Jet Stream crossing the Equator. In a column on Tuesday, environmental blogger Robert Scribbler noted that the Northern Hemisphere Jet Stream had merged with the Southern Hemisphere Jet Stream.

“It’s the very picture of weather weirding due to climate change. Something that would absolutely not happen in a normal world,” he wrote. “Something, that if it continues, basically threatens seasonal integrity.”

“Like many extreme events resulting from human-forced climate change — this co-mingling of upper level airs from one Hemisphere with another is pretty fracking strange,” Scribbler explained. “Historically, the Tropics — which produce the tallest and thickest air mass in the world — have served as a mostly impenetrable barrier to upper level winds moving from one Hemisphere to another. But as the Poles have warmed due to human-forced climate change, the Hemispherical Jet Streams have moved out of the Middle Latitudes more and more. ”

“That’s bad news for seasonality,” he continued. “You get this weather-destabilizing and extreme weather generating mixing of seasons that is all part of a very difficult to deal with ‘Death of Winter’ type scenario.”

University of Ottawa climate scientist Paul Beckwith called the new behavior “unprecedented.”

Source

I appreciate any input from members here. Is this as dire a situation as this story makes it sound? Unprecedented? No more snow skiing (attempt to be light-hearted) ?

Thanks all!

edit on 29-6-2016 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

that looks serious....there is no sound with your clip?????? is it just me???

+11 more 
link   
My understanding is the Jet Stream can dip and wind all over the place. Conveniently, this global warming 'thing' is in the stratosphere, so the average layperson can't see it for themselves, they just have to take it at face value. See how they did that?

Theres your sign.

+29 more 
link   

The MSM are always trying to sell you fear.

Ignore it...it is BS.

+22 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Scientists are clueless

We have these calling "death of winter" and in another thread there's scientists saying we're going to get a mini Ice age and winter is coming

And this article is not biased at all with claiming "human-forced climate change" in 2 successive sentences..

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
A quick search says the guy has his master's in an unrelated field.

The jet stream has only been known about since ww2 .

And it would be impossible for the jetstream to cross the equator where thermal wind doesn't exist.

www.drroyspencer.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
earth.nullschool.net...

This is what he is using to show you

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

My understanding is the Jet Stream can dip and wind all over the place. Conveniently, this global warming 'thing' is in the stratosphere, so the average layperson can't see it for themselves, they just have to take it at face value. See how they did that?

Theres your sign.

Normally the jet streams follow the boundaries of the Hadley cells on each side of the equator. These are circular convection cells that transport warm.air upwards at the equator and cold air downwards at the tropics. You have ocean currents that transport warm water from the Mediterranean to Europe

That would be really weird if they started crossing the equator.

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

The MSM are always trying to sell you fear.

Ignore it...it is BS.

Is anyone you disagree with classified into the MSM?

I ask because the person who made the findings... doesnt work for the MSM

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

Scientists are clueless

We have these calling "death of winter" and in another thread there's scientists saying we're going to get a mini Ice age and winter is coming

And this article is not biased at all with claiming "human-forced climate change" in 2 successive sentences..

Scientists aren't clueless. They are just pushed by money to find the results they were funded to find sometimes. (According to many journal editors about half of the studies are false)

I think you just need to be careful and look at the studies and find any conflict of interest or bad methodology. I don't deny climate change is happening or we are causing it but I think the discussion is rigged. If they address the real issues we would have to address capitalism and the consumer based living. I think dismantling the rain forests, and destroying flora and fauna as well as microbial habitats in oceans and land is having an effect on the entire system that has evolved over billions of years symbiotically.
edit on 29-6-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I don't doubt him , our weather is terrible.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Oh Oh. That isn't good and it has more to do with an impending magnetic change than climate change.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
so, the jet streams are a result of the air mass differences....and are at the boundary lines getting pushed into curves as they make their way...so they don't have to be a fence really, it's ok to see it as a fluid fence.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
If scientists are clueless then the technology advances we have today must have been sheer dumb luck. I hope it continues.

+22 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Scientists are clueless

There's so much ignorance stemming from this, that it is a little frightening. Just re read that sentence. 'Scientists are clueless' But you good sir, you have all the answers.

edit on 29-6-2016 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Given, as another poster pointed out, that we've only been able to monitor this since the end of WWII, how on earth do they know that this is "unprecedented" and has never, ever happened before in all of earth's history?

Given the length of time that we've been monitoring this and the amount of time humans have been on the planet, I find it unlikely. Given the length of time we've been monitoring this and length of time life has been on earth, I find it even more unlikely. Given the length of time we've been monitoring this and the length of earth's history ... yeah, I think you know where this is going.

+18 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
So let me get this straight, there is an actual state of the climate that is normal? Who gets to decide what normal is for the Earth?

link   

Scientists are clueless

lol one will be correct and deemed an expert even if they WAG it all the way geez...

link   
Complete scaremongering bunk.

Just because atmospheric winds dip towards the equator for a few days in one part of the Pacific, does not mean the N Hemisphere polar jet stream has moved south - indeed, as those of us in the UK well know, it is currently where it normally is (though we wish it was a bit further north!)

I am really not sure what point he is trying to make (though I am unable to watch his video with sound).

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The thing about climate change... is that most of the data is based on the weather patterns we've observed for maybe the last 150 years, tops.

We haven't been measuring weather on a global scale long enough to know what the "norm" is for a cycle that could go through changes for thousands of years at a time.

There are plenty of recordings throughout history of unseasonable highs and lows, droughts, famines, desiccation and changes to the trade winds. To think we know it all is just hubris.

edit on 29-6-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join