It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philadelphia Becomes 1st Major American City with Soda Tax

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Wow, the Authoritarians just keep outdoing themselves as our rights and freedoms are diminished daily. This is complete insanity and the epitome of social engineering. I don't personally drink soda, but the people that do can ill afford to pay this regressive tax and frankly...why should they?

Aren't you sick of politicians trying to control your behavior whether through a regressive tax or other means? I know I sure am.

American city with soda tax Published June 16, 2016 Associated Press Facebook420 Twitter365 livefyre562 Email Print NOW PLAYING Clinton aide blames email bungle on Benghazi, illness Never autoplay videos Philadelphia became the first major American city with a soda tax on Thursday despite a multimillion-dollar campaign by the beverage industry to block it. The City Council gave final approval to a 1.5 cent-per-ounce tax on sugary and diet beverages. Only Berkeley, California, had a similar law. Soda tax proposals have failed in more than 30 cities and states in recent years. Such plans are typically criticized as disproportionately affecting the poor, who are more likely to consume sugary drinks.

LINK

edit on 2016/6/16 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

It passed 13-4. Doesn't even effect you. First world prpblems.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Next is fresh air...

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
More proof progressives never met a tax they didn't like.

I am surprised they have tried to tax sex yet.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Protestors need to start a belching campaign.

And people buying diet drinks are being discriminated against with this tax.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

So how long until we see somebody arrested for bootlegging soda?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The Obesity Tax is the only one I've ever seen them oppose.

I wonder why that is.

ETA: Scratch that. I suppose this is a form of obesity tax, considering its intended consequences.

They just can't call it what it is because it would piss off a segment of their identity-politicked, brainwashed base:

The Fat Acceptance Movement.
edit on 6/16/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

It passed 13-4. Doesn't even effect you. First world prpblems.

So if I see people losing their rights and freedoms I am not allowed to care unless it affects me? Are you completely off the rails? I miss the old Reldra that used sense, logic and reason.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

The fact that people are defending unending taxation boggles my mind. To be called out for commenting on it is ridiculous. I agree with you, I'm not sure what's happened to people after drinking this far far leftist Kool aid. Sad world these days, really sad.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
People who drink enough pop for this to effect them aren't going to care

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I literally can't believe anyone would support this kind of Government overreach. I suppose they have already taken advantage of smokers, drinkers and people that drive cars. Why not put some more regressive taxes on other people that they don't like? It is completely mad.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: neo96

The Obesity Tax is the only one I've ever seen them oppose.

I wonder why that is.

ETA: Scratch that. I suppose this is a form of obesity tax, considering its intended consequences.

They just can't call it what it is because it would piss off a segment of their identity-politicked, brainwashed base:

The Fat Acceptance Movement.

Progressive Philly GUILTY of FAT SHAMING? Who would of thunk it!

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

I am neutral on this tax. A community seemed to want it, based on the linked article. I thought the conservatives wanted states and communities to decide for themselves.
edit on 16-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

"Would you like a soda to wash down that Widowmaker Cheesesteak, sir?"

"Not today, brother. Trying to watch my figure."

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Diet soda is included too. There are enough conspiracies about artificial sweetners, many on this site I imagaine. But still, a city voted on this tax. It wasn't forced upon them by the federal government.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I am neutral on this tax. A community seemed to want it, based on the linked article. I thought the conservatives wanted states and communities to decide for themselves.

Well they don't get to decide their own bathroom laws,gun laws, and immigration laws.

Why do they get to decide to tax cokes ?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
This essentially puts soda in the same category as cigarettes. Let our mandatory health insurance meet the demands of people's declining health instead of putting stress on those who consume in moderation.

Like others have said, what's next?

Cheese?

edit on 16-6-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

link   
They never stop, in CA we already have the CRV tax on soda and just recently a $10 core charge per can of R134 freon for your car....

link   

Diet soda is included too. There are enough conspiracies about artificial sweetners, many on this site I imagaine. But still, a city voted on this tax. It wasn't forced upon them by the federal government.

I don't drink soda nor do I live in Philly.

I am a smoker though, and all I can say to those who are pissed they have to pay taxes on their soda? "I told you so!".

Ya might have to think about that one for a little bit.

link   

Well they don't get to decide their own bathroom laws,gun laws, and immigration laws.

Why do they get to decide to tax cokes ?

It apparently falls under their authority.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join