It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Separating the Mandela Effect From Memory

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

The thing that 'debunkers' like you don't seem to realize is that you're strictly basing your arguments on assumptions. Every assumption you add makes your case weaker.

And people that have a mystical belief that the Mandella effect is anything other than explainable human nature, are not basing that on "assumptions"? Debunking something based on observed reality is not ridiculing anyone, it is offering plausible explanations based upon things we already understand.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

You see it all the time, someone tries to "build a case" by stating a bunch of assumptions. I don't know where some people are coming from but they actually seem to think the greater amount of assumptions they state, the stronger their case is.

There have been a number of such posters on Mandela Effect threads previously. I had assumed they were all just trolling; making such posts to be silly and to pester serious posters. It is baffling to me that anyone could actually believe that building a case of assumptions means anything.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries

Good find !

In a way I do not think that any amount of evidence will convince a single DeBunker.
For me it is absolute unthinkable that it is Christopher Reeve I know this a 1000% I'm not an english native and invented esspecially for his name the association french verb rever (dream ) -r + s -> Christopher's Dream ... So his name is etched in my memory for sure.

Christopher Reeves was his name. I have no doubt about that.

originally posted by: Vasteel

You can't win a debate against people who think they can make unlimited assumptions, present unfalsifiable claims as facts, prove nothing concerning their case, and then proceed to claim victory in the debate based on nothing but their claims

I have never seen any explanation for Mandella Effects that does not rely on assumptions or unfalsifiable claims. If I assume as fact that there has been a shift in timelines then how do you prove that I'm wrong? How do I prove I'm right?

I've got an explanation that I don't think requires any assumptions. The Mandela Effect for me is simply my personal truth. My personal truth is that "Depend" underwear was called "Depends", Forrest Gump said "Life is like a box of chocolates", the VW emblem did not have a line between the V and the W, "Interview with a Vampire" was the correct title of that film, Mongolia was part of the People's Republic of China, and South America was directly south of North America (not southeast as it is now).

And, we're just getting started there. I have no explanation for it. If you don't believe in the concept of "personal truth" then we have no where else to go.

originally posted by: charlyv
And people that have a mystical belief that the Mandella effect is anything other than explainable human nature, are not basing that on "assumptions"? Debunking something based on observed reality is not ridiculing anyone, it is offering plausible explanations based upon things we already understand.

You can take that view. However, for every Mandela Effect that someone reports you have to start with the conclusion that their case is "explainable [by] human nature" and work backwards. I notice that you're making the above statement without dealing with any of the evidence that I presented.

The evidence is overwhelming that the Mandela Effect goes far beyond being "explainable [by] human nature" IMHO.

I have no "mystical belief" about it BTW. What is the Mandela Effect? First we have to define what it means. I just tried to find the definition and I found two different definitions.

The Mandela Effect is a theory put forth by writer and “paranormal consultant” Fiona Broome that shared false memories are in fact glimpses into parallel worlds with different timelines.
Did You Know There’s A Term For When You’re Totally Positive Something Happened Even Though It Didn’t?

"The phenomenon where a group of people discover that a global fact - one they feel they know to be true and have specific personal memories for - has apparently changed in the world around them."
Explanation for Spelling Changes of famous names and Brands..global consciousness

I'm going by the second definition. It is scientific and based on observable facts.

originally posted by: LoneCloudHopper2
There have been a number of such posters on Mandela Effect threads previously. I had assumed they were all just trolling; making such posts to be silly and to pester serious posters. It is baffling to me that anyone could actually believe that building a case of assumptions means anything.

Does the quote above concern the debunkers in those threads or the Mendela Effect believers?

If you're speaking about the Mendela Effect believers, I don't think you're being fair to be so judgmental. The Mendela Effect falls in the category of personal truth. No one has the right to call someone a "troll" for expressing their personal truth IMHO. I believe it is a senseless thing to do.
edit on 27-5-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The world we live in, what we have made and what we have accomplished are based upon things we understand.
That statement does not mean that there are many things we observe that we do not understand.
The proof of an alternate reality, in any of this, is to build something that works, and we don't understand why.
How many of these things could we list?

And, what ever winds up on that list requires us to explain it in terms that we understand. A conundrum of the first order, and the reason we must rely on science to supply the answer.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

you state

The reason I've ignored the Mandela Effect up until now is because I think it's pointless to discuss because of all the assumptions people on both sides of the issue are making.

I think thats a bit disingenuous you started 2 other threads in 1 day on the same subject

25/05/2016
Mandela Effect: Intentional or unintentional?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

If that's the case, could it get to the point where one of us could be wiped from existence one day? Then, if it progressed, could the entire human race be wiped from existence one day?

25/05/2016
Luke 19:27 Jesus: 'But those mine enemies...slay them before me.

Christians,I believe your religion has been changed. Drastically!

Drama much?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

, I think you should watch the following video. Some people think those of us finding ourselves in another reality may have been "raptured."

Most christians would suggest the idea of a "rapture" is not biblical.

but you accuse others of doing the very same thing you do - in this thread of yours

I think "individualized ad hoc theology" is just creating your own religion with no rhyme or reason whatsoever.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
Why can't people's egos allow them to be wrong?

Your rememberer sucks, that's it.

How can I be wrong when I'm pointing out definite discrepancies that anyone can see? I don't have to repeat what I wrote in the original post but I want to add some things.

First, all of the results that come up in YouTube's search bar have nothing to do with memory. They are there now. I thought it would be condescending to point out something so obvious. In order to believe that those results come from millions of people typing the wrong things, you may as well be starting a religion around the "bad memory" theory. Why? Because it takes as much faith to believe that all of those results come from millions of people's bad memories as it does to believe in a full-blown religion.

Second, none of the examples in the original post have anything to do with memory. You can see them right now. In order to explain them away, it takes another theory outside of the "bad memory" theory. The "bad memory" theory will not work with those examples.

Third, no one has even tried to discuss anything outside of the "Depend" example. I wonder why? It's because they are complete anomalies. Do you think Tom Cruise didn't know the name of the book that he was studying for a film role? Not a chance. And, that has nothing to do with memory. The VW emblem example stands on its own as one of the most unbelievable things I've ever seen. No one outside of myself in this thread will even mention it.

None of that has anything to do with memory.

Fourth, "Interview with the Vampire" doesn't even make sense. There are multiple vampires in the film so there was no one vampire. Who would be THE vampire? The new title loses any meaning.

Sooooooo, multiple people have bad memories, an article is written wrong, a talk show host is mistaken, an internet page mispells something etc. Then we take the time to find all these human errors and lump them together as some great cosmic reset.

You could literally do this with anything if you looked hard enough. Bunk

edit on 27-5-2016 by In4ormant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries

Debunkers don't make sense ! look here translation in germany... it's A vampire. I find hard to believe that translators can't distinguish A from THE. There are more examples...

Kinda weird most translations from English are exactly as american's remember them ??

Interview with a vampire

en.m.wikipedia.org...

I don't know about all the rest of this stuff but my aunt and sister are big Anne Rice fans. There's always been a few copies of her books lying around. I know the book, at least as long as I can remember, has always been Interview with the Vampire because it is specifically about one of the vampires in the family that her books are about.
edit on 27/5/2016 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Examples:

www.wsj.com...
Article calls it Depends inaccurately
People are just used to calling it by the plural as well.

variety.com...
Article quotes the movie title wrong.
People easily replace "the" with "a"

So many people misuse or confuse things and then repeat them in some form of media. Then others pick this up and it just perpetuates itself until someone comes along and declares a glitch in the matrix.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
If it was simply a matter of faulty memories we wouldn't all remember the alternate spellings/geological/biological differences the same way. We would all be debating whose memory is right. Instead, when we remember an alternate reality to a specific detail, we remember it the same. Logic therefore dictates that it is not simply a matter of faulty memory, but that some other explanation must apply.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
The Depends thing is weird, but I distinctly remember reading "Interview with THE Vampire" when I was in high school around 1979. My kids on the other hand insist it used to be "a" Vampire. I think bad (lazy?) memory is the main culprit.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: LoneCloudHopper2
If it was simply a matter of faulty memories we wouldn't all remember the alternate spellings/geological/biological differences the same way. We would all be debating whose memory is right. Instead, when we remember an alternate reality to a specific detail, we remember it the same. Logic therefore dictates that it is not simply a matter of faulty memory, but that some other explanation must apply.

We don't All remeber it that way. Just a select few who insist they cannot be wrong.

You guys are giving the flat earthers a run for their money.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

I bought it too, and if it were written AND, I wouldn't have bought it as I would have thought of it as a cheap knock off, and my ocd wouldn't want to look at the wrong thing repeatedly! Lol

I love this thread!

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: hidingthistime

I bought it too, and if it were written AND, I wouldn't have bought it as I would have thought of it as a cheap knock off, and my ocd wouldn't want to look at the wrong thing repeatedly! Lol

I love this thread!

Seems your OCD was a little off.
The ladies of “Sex and the City” are still cool enough for China’s massive counterfeit market.

Counterfeit perfume seizures by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection surged in the United States last year, jumping 471 percent to a total value of $9.4 million. And of all perfumes seized, the one most often found was called “Sex in the City,” a counterfeit variation on the HBO trademark.

m.huffpost.com...

Next batter please.....

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I love this thread!

The ladies of “Sex and the City” are still cool enough for China’s massive counterfeit market.

Counterfeit perfume seizures by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection surged in the United States last year, jumping 471 percent to a total value of $9.4 million. And of all perfumes seized, the one most often found was called “Sex in the City,” a counterfeit variation on the HBO trademark.

m.huffpost.com...

Next batter please.....
if it were a counterfit, wouldnt that require it being called sex AND the city?

If sex IN the city is the counterfit, then how is that so?

If I am selling say, "love boat" perfume, and someone else tried selling a different kind of "love boat" perfume, then that would be counterfit.... if however, someone was selling "love SHIP" perfume, that would not be a countrfit, so I think your argument may have led more validity to the sex IN the city case!

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I love this thread!

m.huffpost.com...

Next batter please.....
if it were a counterfit, wouldnt that require it being called sex AND the city?

If sex IN the city is the counterfit, then how is that so?

If I am selling say, "love boat" perfume, and someone else tried selling a different kind of "love boat" perfume, then that would be counterfit.... if however, someone was selling "love SHIP" perfume, that would not be a countrfit, so I think your argument may have led more validity to the sex IN the city case!

The show is called Sex and the City
www.hbo.com...

You have a counterfeit
What about this is hard?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
you need some thing form the last 30 days

that's how you separate it from memory

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest

www.refinery29.com...

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: hidingthistime

Awesome contribution! "Sex and the City" makes no sense whatsoever. Neither does "Interview with the Vampire" (there was more than one) and the "Jaws" line "You're going to need a bigger boat"...

www.youtube.com...

The man speaking apparently didn't a bigger boat, only the one he was speaking to. Right...

Many things like that do not make sense. "If you build it, he will come" from "Field of Dreams" (who's "he"?). There's no context so it's nonsensical.

I just found a video that definitely belongs in this thread. It offers great evidence for the Mendela Effect outside of memory. How in the world were spellings that are alternative currently the more popular searches in Google just a few years ago?

How will the 'debunkers' deal with this one? They have to make up "reasons" (i.e. assumptions) for each and every case. After you keep adding enough assumptions, the probability that you're right drops to nearly zero. That's the direction they're heading in.

Mandela Effect 003 - When did it start? - MultiEarth

www.youtube.com...

No one will take on the VW emblem anomaly in this thread. Here's another video about it from the same YouTuber that made the video above:

www.youtube.com...

VW LOGO IN ‘BACK TO THE FUTURE’ DIFFERS FROM VW’S ENTIRE LOGO HISTORY

What's your rationale for that statement? Showing that two different VW logos exist(ed) simultaneously and that people remember it proves that something like the Mandela Effect is happening. That is independence from memory. Something that can be proven without having to resort to only memory.
edit on 27-5-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   

a reply to: hidingthistime

Awesome contribution! "Sex and the City" makes no sense whatsoever. Neither does "Interview with the Vampire" (there was more than one) and the "Jaws" line "You're going to need a bigger boat"...

www.youtube.com...

The man speaking apparently didn't a bigger boat, only the one he was speaking to. Right...

Many things like that do not make sense. "If you build it, he will come" from "Field of Dreams" (who's "he"?). There's no context so it's nonsensical.

I just found a video that definitely belongs in this thread. It offers great evidence for the Mendela Effect outside of memory. How in the world were spellings that are alternative currently the more popular searches in Google just a few years ago?

How will the 'debunkers' deal with this one? They have to make up "reasons" (i.e. assumptions) for each and every case. After you keep adding enough assumptions, the probability that you're right drops to nearly zero. That's the direction they're heading in.

Mandela Effect 003 - When did it start? - MultiEarth

www.youtube.com...

No one will take on the VW emblem anomaly in this thread. Here's another video about it from the same YouTuber that made the video above:

www.youtube.com...

VW LOGO IN ‘BACK TO THE FUTURE’ DIFFERS FROM VW’S ENTIRE LOGO HISTORY

What's your rationale for that statement? Showing that two different VW logos exist(ed) simultaneously and that people remember it proves that something like the Mandela Effect is happening. That is independence from memory. Something that can be proven without having to resort to only memory.

You mean this emblem? This is a zoom shot from the man's own video. He conveniently didn't zoom in. I'll do it for you.

Hmmm, notice anything?

These people are rediculous
edit on 28-5-2016 by In4ormant because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join